Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > New version of Finale will not support 10.6  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
52 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dewdman42
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dewdman42AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 221

Posted 6/14/2013 11:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For whatever its worth, I am still on 10.6, and I will not change for at least a a few more years. Any software vendor which makes their software incompatible with my machine will unfortunately not get my business.

Yes its kind of apple's fault too, but still software makers have a choice whether to use API's which are not backwards compatible. Sorry to hear MakeMusic made the decision to do so. Unfortunately that means they will not get my business until such time in the future when I finally decide to upgrade, which isn't gonna be any time soon..... years.

FWIW

MBP, OSX 10.6.5, Finale, Notion, Pizzicato, MUP, DP, GPO, Kirk Hunter Diamond, Many plugins.

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 2378

Posted 6/15/2013 1:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Note: This message and the one above are a cut and paste from a discussion at MOTUNation.com.

www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54346

I have the exact opposite view. They get my business because they continue to support the newest technology. The 64 bit standard came into existence in Apple's 2008 machines. The was FIVE years ago! So you're saying you're not wanting to support a company because they're not supporting a standard that went south five years ago.

Certainly your prerogative, but I prefer to move forward. Even MOTU has abandoned PPC. It's all relative. At some point a decision has to be made on where to dedicate resources. SL using Finale users are in the great minority. It makes good business sense to move on from there and in my view, I am thrilled to loose that old code for a more modern and efficient app. Maybe that's just me. If I was stuck in a pre 64 bit machine I might feel as you do, but I chose to upgrade to a 3 year old machine 2 years ago so I could keep up with my competition. That seems archaic to me now as I eye the new macs coming out. The move by Finale to drop SL seems kind if a no brainer. Onward!

Os X 10.8.4 Mac Pro 8 core; 20GB RAM.

Finale 2012; Digital Performer 8 [64 bit];

MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dewdman42AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 1:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
can you tell me exactly what are the specific new features you think you are going to get in the next version of Finale that are only possible by virtue of the fact that it will be running on ML?

MBP, OSX 10.6.5, Finale, Notion, Pizzicato, MUP, DP, GPO, Kirk Hunter Diamond, Many plugins.

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 1:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you have any easier questions?

MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 1:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
no that's the only question I have.

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Better MIDI intergration and editing, tempo tracks, more and better plugins for notation, improved VI handling, full screen, improved quantizing, built in assignable key commands, yadda yadda yadda. I may even yadda yadda'd over the best parts.

What actually happens is anyone's guess but writing in old, outdated code is not really going to promote ANY innovations or improvements. At least that's my general view.

MIDI Life Crisis

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, can I add handwriting recognition of musical notation on a tablet like the Wacom bamboo or higher end input devices? Good. I added it anyway.

MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 2:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The next version of Finale is going to add support somehow for handwritten recognition of notation?

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 2:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
all those features you said you are happy to see in the next version are great, but nothing there seems like it has to be on ML in order to get it. What new features can you only get specifically because they are using new ML API's?

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You asked what I wanted, not what will be. I'm not clairvoyant and don't work for Make Music.

MIDI Life Crisis

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why are you being so confrontational?

MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 2:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
and by the way, Snow Leopard is 64bit.

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 2:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not at all being confrontational Michael. I simply made it known that I am one of the people that will not be able to upgrade finale due to MakeMusic's decision to make their software not backwards compatible. You felt the need to confront me on that point actually, so I am asking you to justify your statement about why exactly MakeMusic needed to break backwards compatability. I don't really think they needed to. You seem to feel they did need to, but when I ask you what features that you are getting, you have no idea about it....right?

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Every app moves forward if it is to survive. That's just way of things. Growing pains. Stay where you are or not. But yelli g at the moon for rising is not going to stop it from doing so. Finale will be 64 bit (oh, I forgot that)..

Add to the list native 64 bit.

MIDI Life Crisis

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're right, I have no idea what they'll do. It's called trust. Just as I had no idea what MOTU would do with DP. There are lots of issues and problems members post to these forums. I trust MM is reading and trying address some. That's what they've done in the past and that's what I TRUST they will do in the future. Again, if you don't like it or don't want or need to buy a Mac that runs Lion or better, that's cool. But don't try to hold back progress because you don't know what might change. Things WILL change. BTW, there's always the PC versions of both DP and Finale.

MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 2:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Snow leopard is also 64bit. 64bit finale can run on snowleopard just fine.

Apps can grow and improve and still maintain backwards compatability for quite some time. Microsoft products preserve backwards compatability for literally decades, even while adding many innovative new features.

Yes at some point it may become neccessary to break backwards compatability in order to embrace some new really awesome technology.

So I'm asking you, what is the really awesome new technology coming in the next version of Finale that requires them to break backwards compatability with those of us on 10.6?

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:34 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know and for me it doesn't matter. Satisfied yet? Getting rid of older code and recoding the app is long over due. That's quite enough for me right there.

MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 2:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I will also say this, I bought my macbook pro mid to late 2010, less then 3 years ago, and it came loaded with Snow Leopard.

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 2:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, well if you don't know......

For my part I can say that I'm not upgrading OSX any time soon because of various reasons that have been well debated around the internet for several years. Unfortunately MakeMusic will not get any new business from me until such time I am finally ready and willing to make that upgrade....and/or there is some compelling feature that I just must have.

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 2:41 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Then our work here is done.

MIDI Life Crisis

Jeremy Levy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeremy Levy's website.Send a Private Message to Jeremy LevyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 811

Posted 6/15/2013 2:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael,

I have to agree with dewdman, here. I'm all for moving forward, but I don't understand the need to drop Snow Leopard, either. There's not a ton of new technology between SL and the recently announced Mavericks. The underlying OS code seems to be pretty similar. I've said it before, but a LOT of pro users are still running SL. I started doing some searches for used or refurb Mac Pros, and they all either had SL installed, or had an option to install it. Coincidence?

Maybe all the new battery life and memory optimization stuff in Mavericks is making it hard to be backwards compatible. Who knows?Apple is sticking to yearly OSX updates, which means lots of little revisions. But that also means that it is obsoleting software compatibility occasionally. Which is a total drag. I almost wish they would release updates less frequently that were bigger changes to the OS.

Jeremy Levy
Composer, Arranger, Orchestrator, Copyist
Santa Monica, CA
www.jlevymusic.com
Finale 2007-2011

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 6/15/2013 3:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dewdman42 said...
Apps can grow and improve and still maintain backwards compatability for quite some time. Microsoft products preserve backwards compatability for literally decades, even while adding many innovative new features.

Office 2011 for the Mac requires 10.5.8, I don't understand how that can become "decades".
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581812

What MS does and has done with their own OS is different story.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

dewdman42
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 6/15/2013 3:06 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was referring to software written to run on windows. Yes MS is a different story. Apple, as I said, has been a PITA when it comes to backwards compatibility.

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 6/15/2013 4:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The referenced post was deleted (in another forum) and the topic locked.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post Edited (Michael Mortilla) : 6/16/2013 12:48:13 AM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 6/15/2013 5:48 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dewdman, the only people who know what is in the new version are the people at MM, and the beta testers, with a "do not disclose" agreement. Anything else is pure speculation, and it's absurd. How can we on the outside know what is going on, and what will work, and what won't work?

This thread reminds me of the ones that come up periodically about, "They didn't mention Speedy entry! They're discontinuing it! I'll never buy another Finale product as long as I live! I've already ordered Sibelius!"

Grow up, people. When it comes out, we will see what it has, and the people using a years-old OS can decide if they want to move forward, or continue using the older version, on their older OS. Almost everything wrong with Finale gets blamed on the legacy code. So, if the upgrade the code, why should they downgrade it to keep working on an almost obsolete OS?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c on Mac 10.8.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."