Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale-generated pdf's on Android  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Victor Frost
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Victor FrostAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 379

Posted 8/7/2013 3:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most of us know what Finale files look like when the music fonts are missing. I did an experiment with my dropbox (on which I'm a newbie) with a pdf made from a Finale file. The Android pdf reader that kicked in by default showed my score with all those oe diphthongs. Sigh.

Does anyone know how to get pdf's generated from Finale to display properly on Android?

(I did read something here in the forum about doing Postscript first, and then making the pdf. I'm hoping there's a simpler solution to the font embedding issue.)

Thanks, folks.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 8/7/2013 3:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think Finale's PDF-generating abilities are wanting on several fronts. Isn't there something in the Mac's OS that lets you "print" to PDF?

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows XP

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 8/7/2013 4:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That should only happen if the fonts are not embedded. If you "Save As PDF" from the print menu, then the fonts should be embedded, and the resulting PDF should display properly on any competent PDF reader.

Finale's own Graphics Export does not offer an option to Embed or Not Embed Fonts in a PDF (though there is such a checkbox for EPS files).

You can check whether fonts have been embedded if you have Adobe Reader. Command D for Document Properties, select the Font tab. That will list all the fonts used in the document and whether there are embedded or not.
If your computer has the missing font installed and active, then it will display correctly. If a computer doesn't have the missing font, then it won't.

If the fonts are embedded and Android's PDF reader is still displaying it incorrectly, then the problem may not be with the PDF.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012c, 2.6Ghz 2012 MacMini 16Gb RAM (10.8.3)
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Victor Frost
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Victor FrostAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000

Posted 8/8/2013 7:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to you both. Yes, I was doing Print/Save as pdf; that's what I meant by Finale-generated, although I'm not really sure about the provenance once into the print mode.

Anyway, I checked the original pdf in Adobe and the Maestro font is indeed embedded.

O.k., then this is no longer a Finale question. I have since checked a text file on my Android too. I picked one with a distinctive font as part of the test. Yes, the reader in Android changed it to something more vanilla.

So, fonts are embedded but the smartphone reader is actually going to the trouble of stripping them and substituting others.

Is anyone out there having success displaying pdf's on Android with their original fonts?

Victor Frost
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2000

Posted 8/8/2013 8:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
O.k. When I first tried to open a pdf from within dropbox, the system threw up two choices as reader apps: Kindle and Polaris. With the former, there were hoops I had to go through, working first through Amazon and then Kindle itself, whereas Polaris was good to go. So, I fudged a bit up there when I used the word "default," but that's what it was effectively to me, and that's the one I had tried.

I decided that, to be scientific, I should test the matter thoroughly by trying the Postscript route (save first as eps with fonts embedded of course left checked, then make a pdf out of that file). Interestingly, there were some color issues: all text blocks were red, even though they are black on the screen in Finale. Curiously, even though green was available -- it showed up for an ossia m. -- the Expressions were black. Slurs were red, though, as they are on my Finale screen. Needless to say, I put the file through a quartz filter to make everything black-and-white for the test pdf.

Yes, the music now indeed showed up on Polaris with the Maestro font, so I have to recommend that anyone sending along a pdf that might get read on a smartphone do the eps interim step. Then you know your music will get read.

However, there were *still* a few font substitutions for text, which was annoying.

Then, I went through the hoops and got the Kindle reader going on my Android. Both the original pdf and the eps-generated one displayed perfectly, all text and music fonts intact.

So, if you are in the kind of relationship with your reader that you can urge them to use Kindle, definitely do that. If things are less personal, take the precaution of going through Postscript first (cum b&w quartz filter when making the pdf); then at least you'll know the music is usable.

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 8/8/2013 12:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Victor Frost said...
I decided that, to be scientific, I should test the matter thoroughly by trying the Postscript route (save first as eps with fonts embedded of course left checked, then make a pdf out of that file). Interestingly, there were some color issues: all text blocks were red, even though they are black on the screen in Finale. Curiously, even though green was available -- it showed up for an ossia m. -- the Expressions were black. Slurs were red, though, as they are on my Finale screen. Needless to say, I put the file through a quartz filter to make everything black-and-white for the test pdf.

How did you export this EPS, exactly?
The easiest way to get Postscript is to use the "Save As Postscript" option, in the same menu as "Save As PDF". That will give black throughout, unless you've selected the Finale print option to display colours.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012c, 2.6Ghz 2012 MacMini 16Gb RAM (10.8.3)
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Victor Frost
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2000

Posted 8/8/2013 11:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm emerging from a redoubtable rabbit hole here. There are three levels to differentiate, but I believe I have been scientifically thorough. I'll state right off the bat that Kindle works perfectly with all of them; no substitution of any kind. (Probably because they deal with all those book publishers who want their fare to display just so. Somebody got it to behave right, thank goodness!)

1. Print/Save as pdf. As I said above, Polaris (and doubtless other unsophisticated readers that our users might be trying) substitutes their own text font or fonts for the music font and any of your own text fonts. Useless.
2. Compile Postscript Listing from Finale File dropdown. Creates .ps file which you name. Outside Finale when you double-click icon, the Mac system opens a nice pdf version of the data. You apply quartz filter to get black-and-white version, which you save with a prompted name. Music displays fine in Polaris, but there is still substitution of text fonts going on, oddly enough. Useful with reservations.
3. Print/Save as Postscript. Surprisingly, this is not at all the same as number 2. When you double click the icon outside of Finale, the pdf generated (which, as Wiggy says, is already black-and-white) is three times as large as the one in number 2. What is worse, Polaris can't read it and does the same across-the-board substitution described above in no. 1. Useless.

Let's just say, they don't make it easy.