Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > UPDATE LAYOUT IS DETRIMENTALLY CHANGING MY COMPOSITION!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Thomaz
Registered Member

Click to send Thomaz email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ThomazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 87

Posted 2/5/2014 11:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
THis is my second posting in a few weeks - the first dealt with 2 other problems in this same document. Now, there is a wilder issue. Everytime I save, the document immediately updates the layout, 30 pages or so disappear ( the number of measure stay the same). I then, have to go back to EDIT and "UNDO UPDATE LAYOUT" which I am not chosing, I am simply SAVING. IF I try to print a PDF file - it also behaves the same way. If I change the name it also behaves the same way ( change the name by SAVE AS).

Also, the composition is approximately 500 measures long ( not overly large.) It is for 3 voices and Piano. There are two pages where I have written text with a top and bottom empty staves on each of the 2 (text) pages. The text, after the update layout - disappears. The staves remain in place, but, the written text (dialogue) disappear

I realize there has been a lot of changes to Make Music Support etc. but, is there no one who can advise me here in the forum? I never experienced having no response to one of my postings(posted around 1/24, I believe). PLEASE give me some help here. Thanks in advance. Thomas

I"m using a Macbook 17inch 2.6 GHZ intel core due. 6 GB ram. I'm running OS 10.7.5.

Thomas Lawrence Toscano
Conductor/Composer

17" Mac Powerbook 2.6 Ghz, 6GBRam, Finale 2012c.r13 </FONT>

HPMedia Center 7183c 3.0Ghz, 3GB: 2008a

Thomaz
Registered Member

Click to send Thomaz email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ThomazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 2/5/2014 11:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry,AUTOMATIC UPDATE LAYOUT and AUTOMATIC UPDATE LAYOUT are disabled.

Thomas Lawrence Toscano
Conductor/Composer

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 2/5/2014 11:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Make sure your systems are locked and that automatic music spacing is disabled.

Macbook Pro OSX 10.8.5, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM

Thomaz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 2/6/2014 12:26 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for your response Jetcopy. Yes, Automatic Update Layout is disabled and the systems are locked! Go figure! BTW - I"M using Finale 2012c.

Thomas Lawrence Toscano
Conductor/Composer

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 2/6/2014 2:24 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also, make sure that you have de-selected "Update Automatically" in
Document Options - Multimeasure Rests

Even if this option is aimed at multimeasure rests, it updates the widths of all the measures in the document.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.1, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 2/6/2014 2:56 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thomaz said...
I realize there has been a lot of changes to Make Music Support etc. but, is there no one who can advise me here in the forum? I never experienced having no response to one of my postings(posted around 1/24, I believe). PLEASE give me some help here. Thanks in advance. Thomas

Make sure you submit a support request to MM directly on their website.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.9)
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 2/6/2014 3:05 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What type of text? As expressions, measure-attached text or page-attached text?

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Thomaz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 2/6/2014 10:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Jari, for your response!
The TExt is Dialogue 4, 5 sentences in each text box. 2 Text Boxes. They were placed on the page with the Text Tool in a Text Box.

Thomas Lawrence Toscano
Conductor/Composer

Thomaz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 2/6/2014 10:32 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Wiggy, Since it's my first time with any responses, and since I don't believe over the years I've even sent anything to MM support request without first calling them. I will submit a report - would like to understand why this version has been acting so strange. Thanks again, Thomas

Thomas Lawrence Toscano
Conductor/Composer

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 2/6/2014 11:03 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Frankly, I would [almost] never deselect Automatic Update Layout. Being able to deselect it stems from the olden days when updating the layout was a laborious task for computers with 8 or 16 MHz processors. Then it was usually better to a number of edits and then to update the layout in one go. Nowadays that's not necessary as updating the layout is usually almost instantaneous. It'll certainly be necessary each time the user performs an operation which affects the layout, like spacing, moving bars around, changing measure widths, etc. If you don't do this, either manually or automatically, you can be in for a really nasty surprise later. Another important thing you should know: Finale performs an update layout as a standard procedure when loading, saving or printing a file. This isn't illogical since it's like a form of file maintenance but, as I already said, if you haven't updated the layout yourself, you might no longer recognise [parts of] your piece. I really think MM should remove this option; many users deselect Automatic Update Layout without understanding the consequences and then post here on the forum saying that they've lost hours of work because Finale has messed up their layout.

Thomaz: are your text boxes page-attached or measure-attached? It might be that a page-attached text block was on a page which got removed by updating the layout. Could you post the file here?

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.9
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam