Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Phantom "deauthorization" on site-licensed computers?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

zac100
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to zac100AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 184

Posted 2/19/2014 3:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I teach an orchestration class where we use Finale for most of our assignments. The computers in the lab are Macs running OS X (is that specific enough? I'm not a Mac person myself, but that's what we have in the lab), and we have Finale 2011.

Periodically, some of the computers will experience some rather odd issues. The most common (which seems to occur unpredictably, on different machines) is a phantom deauthorization of the software. Of course, my students don't notice it until they go to save or print, and then they get an error which tells them that "Saving and Printing features have been disabled." There is an option to "Register Finale" (or authorize? I forget the exact word) in the Help Menu...but these computers HAVE ALREADY been authorized. Our university has a site license for them. When I restart the computer, the problem goes away -- Finale is magically re-authorized, saving/printing are enabled.

I have had our IT people in to look at the problem, but of course, since it occurs unpredictably, there's very little they can do unless it occurs while they are in the room. And of course, as Murphy's Law would have it, the computers and software behave just fine when IT is there.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any advice for how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your help!

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 2/19/2014 3:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You need to talk to MM support directly on this.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.9)
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

zac100
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to zac100AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 184

Posted 2/19/2014 7:56 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bummer. I was hoping not to have to go that route, but I will if I must. Thanks, Wiggy!