Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > OT Comments on Yosemite  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
85 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 10/21/2014 4:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter West said...
I have Yosemite. Finale 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 all working fine for the functions I use (notation, I have no need for playback).
Then there seems to be some hope that if I should acquire a computer with OS 10.10 I should still be able to open files that are saved in F 2010 in order to make minor edits or to prepare them for opening in F 2014 (changes to custom smart lines &c), just as I can in 10.9.5.

I'll take the line of least resistance and start any new files in F 2014.

What's next to try us, I wonder?

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014c with Mac 10.9.5
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 10/21/2014 5:07 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, clearly some people, for whatever reasons, are having trouble. I'm not. So it must be something specific to their setup/other software/MIDI or printer drivers, or something. For me, they are working fine.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 2.66GHz Intel Quad, 4GB RAM /OSX.7.5 /30 inch cinema display+20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2014/Logic Pro Studio

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 10/21/2014 7:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Indeed. 10-year-old Finale 2005 runs fine on my Windows machine. Is Apple to blame or MM? Does other software regularly break as the result of Mac OS updates?

Regarding backwards compatibility, Windows is on a completely different level than OS X. It has very little to do with Carbon vs. Cocoa, since a huge number of Cocoa services and methods on 10.0-10.4 are deprecated as well. Things might even get worse in the future on OS X, since Apple has changed to an annual version update schedule (compared to every second year before). Apple has also started to push users to upgrade to the latest OS versions, in a similar way as they have done with iOS. IMO, OS X becomes more and more unsuitable for applications like Finale, that aren't subscription-based.

To me, it seems like it's the playback engine that crashes on Yosemite, not Finale. AFAIK, Finale 2014 uses another 3rd party supplier for the sound engine.

I'll personally wait for updates on Yosemite.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 10/22/2014 6:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
Regarding backwards compatibility, Windows is on a completely different level than OS X. It has very little to do with Carbon vs. Cocoa, since a huge number of Cocoa services and methods on 10.0-10.4 are deprecated as well.

There is no denying that MakeMusic has never been alert to adapt Finale to new Mac OS versions. Had MakeMusic been more alert and made a timely adaption to OS X and to Cocoa, it would at least have been at par with the OS, would have had years of experience before the next big change in the OS and would have to make far less radical changes than they do have to now in order to get anywhere close to where the OS is.
OS's will always evolve, deal with it or get out of the market.

Jari Williamsson said...
Things might even get worse in the future on OS X, since Apple has changed to an annual version update schedule (compared to every second year before).

How could things get worse? 2014 has reported problems with Yosemite, be they perhaps 'minor'. Earlier versions of Finale are prone to hard crashes on basic functions.

Finale 2014a, b and c, but switched back to 2012c. Again.
Mac OS X 10.9.5, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 10/22/2014 7:03 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a really dumb question, but since I know nothing about programming here goes:

Why is it Finale is my only program that does not work properly under Yosemite and everything else appears to be absolutely fine without updating at all? Is MM really that far behind the programming curve?

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express and Cimarron Music
Oystein Baadsvik US tour coordinator - http://www.baadsvik.com/
[email protected] or [email protected]
http://www.bvdpress.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 10/22/2014 7:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BvdPress said...
I have a really dumb question, but since I know nothing about programming here goes:

Why is it Finale is my only program that does not work properly under Yosemite and everything else appears to be absolutely fine without updating at all? Is MM really that far behind the programming curve?

Apple bought NeXTStep in 1996. Apple shortly after announced its plans for a new OS: OS X. This OS knew a public(!) beta in 2000 and was officially released in 2001. Cocoa (bought with NeXTStep) was to be the core API of the OS X, but Carbon was (temporarily) used for backward compatibility for applications that ran the Classic OS (Mac OS 8 and 9) and allow them to port their applications to the new OS with far less effort than a port to the entirely different Cocoa system. Carbon was eventually deprecated mid 2012.

MakeMusic did not produce a version of Finale before late 2003. MakeMusic did not produce a Cocoa based version of Finale until late 2011.

You do the math.

MakeMusic could have written a Cocoa based Finale as early as 2001. It would have to make adjustments to accommodate the evolving OS (as Jari says, there have been changes in the Cocoa API over the years, but that’s what evolution is), but it would have been as up to date as possible with the OS. Instead of earning a decade of experience in writing with Cocoa, MakeMusic chose to ignore the API until there was no more escape possible.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 10/22/2014 6:42:08 AM (GMT-5)

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 10/22/2014 7:51 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Writer of Music said...
Jari Williamsson said...
Things might even get worse in the future on OS X, since Apple has changed to an annual version update schedule (compared to every second year before).

How could things get worse? 2014 has reported problems with Yosemite, be they perhaps 'minor'. Earlier versions of Finale are prone to hard crashes on basic functions.

If Apple continue its current approach to support services for about 4-5 major versions, that would mean that Cocoa code requires updates each 4-5 years instead of each 8-10 years. Also, there's no real technical reason why Apple could not support a C-style API like Carbon on 64-bit OS X, it's just Apple's way of constantly changing focus. Objective-C even contains a "deprecated" attribute to help developers spending unnecessary time to upgrade the code at every new SDK release.

Compare this to Windows, where the basic Win32 remains basically unchanged since Windows 95, and Win32 is still supported in Win64. And Win64 uses the same API names and calls as Win32, and these applications work simultaneously with .NET applications.

I'm not defending MM's late transition to Cocoa, but I don't think Apple is without blame.

BvdPress said...

Probably because your other applications don't use the same 3rd party engine (in 32-bit mode) for sound that Fin2012 does. But it's correct that MM made an extremely late transition to Cocoa and they haven't yet moved Finale to 64 bit. But I haven't seen anything yet that says that a later update to Yosemite couldn't potentially solve the crashes in pre-2014 versions.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 10/22/2014 8:01 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
…, it's just Apple's way of constantly changing focus.

But Apple's focus was announced in the late nineties with the presentation of the plans for Rhapsody: Cocoa was to be the core API in the future and Carbon would only temporarily serve as a bridge between old and new. MakeMusic cannot have been surprised by any of that. MakeMusic's decision to hold off on development for Cocoa for monetary reasons is their decision, not Apple's and certainly not the users'.

Jari Williamsson said...
I'm not defending MM's late transition to Cocoa, but I don't think Apple is without blame.

I will blame Apple for their portion of responsibility, but that's not what this forum here is for. I'll address my blame here towards MakeMusic.

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 10/22/2014 8:24 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To return to the original topic: one plus side of Yosemite is that it understands the difference between a .mus and a .musx file. .mus Documents will be opened by 2012 (or earlier, what's on your computer) and .musx documents by 2014. Under Mavericks all Finale documents would be opened by 2014, regardless of the extension.

There now, who says all is negative?

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 10/22/2014 9:16 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Jari and Writer of Music. Much of it is over my head, but I get it now. I guess it seems like MM is playing the endless catch-up game.

For anyone who cares, forever I have lobbied here for MM to stop and just update Finale rather than attempting to develop. Maybe it is finally time to start that process.

about a decade ago I took over a publishing company that had about 1000 titles. After a quick look, I realized the company was a disaster in terms of look (the actual music) but it had a great product. I quickly decided the only way to make it work was to re-engrave and edit every single piece in the catalog. A painful process that took forever, but now the company is nice and tidy, I have added about another 3000 pieces and have purchased several other companies along the way. What I am trying to say is that sometimes you need to take a step back and build a base before moving forward. If you don't, you butt eventually gets bitten. I wonder if MM's butt is really sore.

And Writer of Music that is good to know about the .mus and .musx files. I even did a small chart in Finale 2014 this week. It was slow and truly unusable, but I did it anyway. Luckily it was only 16 measures :)

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express and Cimarron Music
Oystein Baadsvik US tour coordinator - http://www.baadsvik.com/
[email protected] or [email protected]
http://www.bvdpress.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

Ralph L. Bowers Jr.
Polymathist

Click to send Ralph L. Bowers Jr. email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ralph L. Bowers Jr.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 883

Posted 10/22/2014 10:24 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
Compare this to Windows, where the basic Win32 remains basically unchanged since Windows 95, and Win32 is still supported in Win64. And Win64 uses the same API names and calls as Win32, and these applications work simultaneously with .NET applications.

BvdPress said...

Jari Williamsson said...
Probably because your other applications don't use the same 3rd party engine (in 32-bit mode) for sound that Fin2012 does. But it's correct that MM made an extremely late transition to Cocoa and they haven't yet moved Finale to 64 bit. But I haven't seen anything yet that says that a later update to Yosemite couldn't potentially solve the crashes in pre-2014 versions.

And chasing your argument to the end is?
To run Finale in Windows???

As to 64bit Finale even Sibelius is heading to 64bit only for the next version. And I believe Steinbergs forthcoming notation program is to be 64bit only.

Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014c TGTools Pro, Patterson plugins, JW plugins (current)
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, Write Score Sound Sets, Bob Zawalich plugins, Dolet 6.4
Print Music 2004, 2010a, 2011a, 2014b
Progression, Progression 2, Notion 4, [Notion 5, (bought but not installed)]
Pro Tools 9.5, Reaper
Kontakt 5
GPO4, World Instruments
Smart Score Pro X , PhotoScore Ultimate 6 & 7 ( 7 has some utility----best of those available)
M-Audio "Oxygen 25" Midi input keyboard (recent addition 2014)
Systems (4) // Windows XP Pro, [email protected] Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, 4GB - 16GB RAM
Paper & Pencil

BMus, MM (Musicology)

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 10/22/2014 11:54 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As far as the move to 64 bit, an old post by Justin:

Somebody said...
64-bit is a goal we're moving towards (many pre-requisites for this was completed in 2014), but it is not a simple task. The re-write on Mac was a prerequisite, along with numerous internal changes made for 2014 that took significant development and testing time.

Justin Phillips
Senior Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Justin is no longer with the company, but there's no reason to believe that this information isn't accurate.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.4, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 2378

Posted 10/23/2014 12:53 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Reminiscent of how Atari and Opcode went belly up. I really don't get the impression that the folks over at MM really give a hoot any more. I don't say this lightly. I was a featured artist for Coda and Make Music. I WAS a big fan and want to be again, but it's non-functional at the moment.

Os X 10.9 Mac Pro 8 core; 20GB RAM.

Finale 2014; Digital Performer 8 [64 bit];

MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dewdman42AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 221

Posted 10/24/2014 11:29 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Apple is notorious for constantly changing their architectures. They have done it countless times over the years, forcing users to buy new computers to keep up with changes in software. There is an upside which is that OSX has lots of new innovations with each new release. Microsoft has been historically much better at retaining backwards compatibility in their OS. The downside to backwards compatibility is that it often restricts innovation or sometimes turns into spaghetti in order to support backwards on old hardware and retain backwards API compatibility.

Unfortunately anyone writing software for the OSX platform has to contend with this problem, which can sometimes be difficult and costly. Whether these actual problems are bugs in OSX or changes to their architecture which MakeMusic has to adapt to, are entirely unclear at this point. But I can assure you that Apple probably won't figure it out. MakeMusic will have to figure it all out and if it turns out to be Yosemite bugs, it will be very difficult to get Apple to fix them, in which case they will have to code around it. Seems to me that with all the problems being reported, MakeMusic should formally declare that Finale is only good through Mavericks until the issues can be resolved.

I'm not upgrading my computer to Yosemite until I'm forced to. Mavericks works just fine. I don't see any compelling new features I need. I will hang here a while until important programs I use or need require me to upgrade the OS, then I will make sure that all my programs can run on that new OS and only then will I upgrade. I think people in general have a serious addiction to getting new "stuff" and upgrading to the newest OSX on the day it comes without knowing for sure that everything you need to work still works, is foolish. Don't be fooled by the glitter and gloss and a need to show off the latest desktop to your friends. Mavericks works fine!

I stayed in Snow Leopard for a long time too and avoided Lion and Mountain Lion. Lion had some substantial changes that messed up a lot of people too. Eventually the smoke cleared a bit, but basically I just waited until all of my software was known to be working good on Mavericks, and basically it came to a point where some of my stuff wasn't going to work on Snow leopard aymore, so I had to go up, and then I finally upgraded. I did not miss a thing. Much prefer that my system continues to work with the software I need to use.

MBP, OSX 10.6.5, Finale, Notion, Pizzicato, MUP, DP, GPO, Kirk Hunter Diamond, Many plugins.

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 10/24/2014 3:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dewdman42 said...
Apple is notorious for constantly changing their architectures.

If Apple is notorious for that, isn't it all the more important to keep up to date, as all the other software developers do? Most major and minor software developers have updates to their software within weeks of the release of a new OS, if not even before the release — that's why there are developer preview releases. These, however, never have had any effect on the release schedules of MakeMusic.

Or prove me wrong.

I find the attempts to protect MakeMusic regardless quite moving, but let's not lose sight of reality, please.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 10/24/2014 2:51:32 PM (GMT-5)

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 10/24/2014 4:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The reality is that other software companies have also had problems keeping up with Apple. Digital Performer has it's share of problems and isn't 100% Yosemite ready. Waves is having crazy town issues as well, so it's a number of factors, not just one company lagging.

I've been on Finale since 1996 and have used it for virtually every gig where a written score is required. It was faster than sequencing for me as a composer. It's the way I write - working stuff out more in my head and then committing to paper. I can also sequence, but when going to print - even for a film - I stay exclusively in Finale. It's just the way I roll.

It's no secret my biggest disappointment has been the loss of the movie window functions and some playback glitches that cropped up in F2014. After nearly 20 years of dealing with Coda and MM I remain hopeful that a fix will present itself for movies and a bunch of other stuff. I like to think we've hit bottom and things will only get better.

All together now... Ommmmmmmmmm..........

Os X 10.10 Mac Pro 8 core; 20GB RAM.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post Edited (Michael Mortilla) : 10/25/2014 5:56:14 PM (GMT-5)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/24/2014 4:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's a necessary evil for the software developers to keep up, I guess. Really, though, the situation is Apple's fault. I'm not sure why people defend the practice. If you bought a television and the broadcasters or cable companies changed the format of the signals every year so that you had to either buy a new television or swap out one of its components, wouldn't you be miffed?

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, USB Keystation 61

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 10/24/2014 4:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
It's a necessary evil for the software developers to keep up, I guess. Really, though, the situation is Apple's fault. I'm not sure why people defend the practice.

This suggestion can just as easily be turned around. If MakeMusic claims to write software suited for the Mac OS X, it should make sure that this software is as up to date as possible for the OS. To push all responsibility off to others is of course very easy, but therefor not more correct. Reality is, that Finale always has been years behind the development of the OS, at least since OS X, as I have explained in several threads. Thousands of other software companies, large and small alike, are able to act acutely.

Really? Should Apple hold back on development because of a few minor software companies that produce some software for a niche market segment? Isn't it most likely that these software companies do choose to not keep up, because of monetary reasons? It would involve too many programmers that they do not wish to put on the payroll.

Perhaps MakeMusic should no longer produce a Mac version of Finale if they can't keep up or do not wish to keep up with Apple. At least that would be honest towards us, their customers.

Definitely there will be other software developers that have trouble keeping up with Apple's pace. Not unlikely that they have the same reasons as MakeMusic: Windows version is the bulk of their sales, therefor the means available for Mac development are meagre at best.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 10/24/2014 3:48:29 PM (GMT-5)

Flint
silly bear

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FlintAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 3151

Posted 10/24/2014 4:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
It's a necessary evil for the software developers to keep up, I guess. Really, though, the situation is Apple's fault. I'm not sure why people defend the practice. If you bought a television and the broadcasters or cable companies changed the format of the signals every year so that you had to either buy a new television or swap out one of its components, wouldn't you be miffed?
Exactly. Windows programmers know that the Windows platform has excellent backwards compatibility and therefore costs much less resources to keep code up with. Apple's capricious and continual rewrites of their boutique OS are a constant problem and it's no wonder things break constantly.

woodwind specialist and doubler - Finale 2014 using Speedy Entry - no capslock, GPO 4 Full, Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3, Garritan Concert and Marching Band 2, Windows 8 64-bit, 12GB RAM

If the composer says in effect to the performer: "I do not care whether you perform my music or not," we cannot argue the matter. But if he indicates: "I want you to perform and respond to this music," then his fundamental duty is to write his music so that it is accessible to interpretation. When the performer cannot approach the composer's meaning because of capriciously obscure notation, he may in effect say to the composer: "Why should I bother to puzzle out your music?" - Gardner Read

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/24/2014 5:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Writer of Music said...
Should Apple hold back on development because of a few minor software companies that produce some software for a niche market segment?

There is an alternative, as has been said: make the OS backwardly compatible to the extent possible. Microsoft can do it--why can't Apple? They're just being lazy.

There's also the issue of Finale versions. I haven't upgraded from 2011 on Windows for various reasons. Even if MM was on top of every Apple update, if I had a Mac and wanted to run the latest OS, I'd be forced to upgrade Finale every time even if I didn't like the new version (and I'd also be several hundred dollars poorer). It would certainly be unreasonable for MM to provide separate versions of Finale 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 for Mountain Lion, Maverick, Yosemite, etc., etc.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, USB Keystation 61

Post Edited (Motet) : 10/24/2014 4:16:52 PM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/24/2014 5:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is getting totally out of hand. MM wrote software for the the OS that existed when they wrote it. 2012 worked just fine up through 10.9. 2014 works (for many, many people) on 2014.

It's not Apple's responsibility to make sure that any changes don't affect other develers' product. It's not MakeMusic's responsibility to forsee what changes OS developers might make.

If you want to complain that 2014 isn't working well for you, I'm entirely sympathetic, and I really want to see the program working well for everyone. MM needs to devote every available resorce to making this, so.

If you want to complain that an older product doesn't work on your newest OS, I'm afraid that ship has sailed. Get over it.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014c, but using 2012 again, on Mac 10.9.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 10/24/2014 5:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
There is an alternative, as has been said: make the OS backwardly compatible to the extent possible. Microsoft can do it--why can't Apple? They're just being lazy.

The Carbon API was exactly there for that reason, for more than a decade. MakeMusic used all of that decade before they ported Finale to Cocoa. Who has been lazy now? Should Apple have continued Carbon only for the convenience of MakeMusic?

Mike Rosen said...
It's not MakeMusic's responsibility to forsee what changes OS developers might make.

Apple releases developer previews for developers, so they can "foresee" where the OS is going and report bugs and incompatibilities. No crystal ball involved.

The "older" product I have been complaining about, is Finale 2014, which didn't work for me in any of the OS's since its existence. But that is an entirely different issue. Please do not try to turn this discussion in that direction.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/24/2014 5:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I started this freaking thread; I'll take the discussion wherever the heck I like.

You've started the entire rant about who's at fault.

If you have a problem with 2014, deal with that with MM support. I'm done.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014c, but using 2012 again, on Mac 10.9.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 10/24/2014 5:58 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
I started this freaking thread; I'll take the discussion wherever the heck I like.

You've started the entire rant about who's at fault.

If you have a problem with 2014, deal with that with MM support. I'm done.

Half way on page one of this thread the questions were asked: "Is Apple to blame or MM? Does other software regularly break as the result of Mac OS updates?" I didn't raise those questions, but I took the liberty to answer them. How dare I!

Don't point fingers at will, whether it's *YOUR* thread or anyone else's. Don't start yet again with a flaming, we have had plenty of those on this forum since the very beginning. They serve no purpose whatsoever.

And, given the fact that reading apparently remains very difficult, my posts do not address the troubles I have with 2014, but relate to MakeMusic's policy in keeping up with the OS.

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 10/24/2014 9:20 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for acting like an adult, Mike.

Os X 10.10 Mac Pro 8 core; 20GB RAM.

MIDI Life Crisis