Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2014 loses "Focus" when switching between other apps  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bdrmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bdrmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 49

Posted 1/29/2015 6:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey All,
This issue may have been addressed before but there is a serious problem with 2014. I was so hoping it would have been fixed in the most recent update, but alas it has not. When Finale 2014 is open along with any other app, and you do something with that other app, then turn your attention back to Finale 2014, have you noticed that it doesn't respond to your commands and shortcuts? This is because Finale loses "Focus" and does not know that it is to resume as the frontmost app, i.e. the one you are working with. In order for you to get its attention you must click somewhere in the menu bar to get it to respond to macros, etc. It will remain in focus as long as you don't click on any other app. Do that and it loses focus again. I first reported this to MM back in September of last year and was told that it was a known bug by the development team due to the major upgrade that 2014 received. That was with version "a." I'm now using "d" and it still hasn't been fixed. It is a constant aggravation not to mention seriously disrupting of my workflow. This is not just a rant (though it feels good). I want to also encourage others to let them know it needs to be resolved in the next update.
Brent

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 1/29/2015 6:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was going to write that I couldn't reproduce this, but now I see that you are right. However, I trigger all my shortcuts on F-keys via QuicKeys and that somehow wakes Finale up, so I don't have the problem.

Bill

Finale 2014d (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.1 on another

bdrmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bdrmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 49

Posted 1/29/2015 6:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the reply. I use Keyboard Maestro and have a number of F key shortcuts too. None of them work until I click on the Menu bar after using another app. MM knows about it. Below is the reply that I received from them back in Sept.

This is something that we have confirmed as a defect: with the major "under-the-hood" upgrade that Finale 2014 received, it seems to have picked up an issue with focus. Any action that puts another application into focus seems to disable keyboard shortcuts for a time once Finale is brought back into focus -- you can see the same behavior with the Speedy Entry Tool if the Edit Frame is open when Finale loses focus, and we've also confirmed it with OSX's built-in Keyboard Shortcut preferences. That the same thing is happening with your Keyboard Maestro application as well is not surprising.

Unfortunately this remains an issue in the software at this time. The issue has been reported to our development team with the hopes that it can be fixed in a future update or release. Unfortunately, I don't have a specific timeline as to if or when that will be. For now, if you do take an action that causes Finale to lose focus, doing something like changing the view or opening a dialogue window, such as the Score Manager, Manage Parts, Audio Unites Banks and Effects, etc. will properly pop Finale back into focus. This is the only workaround that I've found for this issue, which as you noted does seem to work on your end -- as such, that's my recommendation until this issue is corrected.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 1/29/2015 9:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The “loss of focus” can be seen in the 3 “coloured bullets” (red, yellow, green) at the top left corner of the document window:
When Finale has “lost focus”, the “bullets” are greyed out, meaning that Finale does not consider the “frontmost window” to be the document window (but rather something else, perhaps one of the Finale palettes?).

To bring the document window to the front you can click inside it (as bdrmusic points out), but you can also use the general Mac OS X keyboard shortcut for switching between open windows.
In american keyboard layout the shortcut is ⌘`.

If you use another keyboard layout, then the “trigger key” may not be the ` key.
I could be wrong here, but I think that the “trigger key” always is the key, that is physically positioned right next to the left Shift key (no matter the selected keyboard layout).

In my (danish) keyboard layout the key next to the left Shift key is labeled <.
For me ⌘< switches between a program’s open windows.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014d, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 1/30/2015 5:06 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter's right. Finale often doesn't place focus on the main document window and this isn't only when shifting back from another application. It often happens when I've just loaded a file. I then try to scroll using a keyboard macro and nothing happens until I notice that the coloured bullets are greyed out and I then click on the document window or cycle through the open windows (which can also be palettes).

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.9.5/10.10
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam