Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > CD playback wierdness.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Taz
Registered Member

Click to send Taz email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 339

Posted 4/1/2015 2:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm creating an MP3 of original charts, no big deal, but this has got me...
The source material for the MP3s are Print Music 2014, and Im pretty familiar with the process.
The resultant MP3s play back just fine on my Mac. and after burning them to a CD (Using the BURN FOLDER method),
I played the MP3s from this new CD on my CD player adjacent to the Mac, and again, no problem
I took the CD out to my vehicle, stuck it in, hit play, and whoops, "ERROR"
I removed the CD and replaced it with a different CD, and it played back just fine...

I don't have another CD player so I can't do an A vs B comparison, so:-
HUH !!!

Any suggestion appreciated,,,

PM 2004, 06, 07, 08, 11, 14
Born & Raised in Devonport, Tasmania.

Sony Vaio - XP,P4, now plus an iMac 21.5
and JABB, which I can't figure out.

"quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything"

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 4/1/2015 3:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a guess-

I always add mp3 files to iTunes, put them in a playlist and then burn that playlist to CD. One thing I've noticed is that this method gives you 3 or so choices of format - I always choose "Music CD".

Maybe I'm going about it the roundabout way, but my CDs always play. Maybe someone else can detail the correct process for you.

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM
New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 4/1/2015 3:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've no idea of the technical whys and wherefores, but over the years I've sometimes encountered a CD which won't play in one machine, but will in another. Sometimes this happens with commercially recorded and 'pressed' CDs, but it happens more often with home copied ones. It's not normal, but neither is it wildly extraordinary.

FWIW, I've also had difficulty on occasion with commercially recorded DVDs. The only ones I buy are opera DVDs*, but last year a whole batch of Opus Arte ones froze when played on Apple's USB optical drive through my desktop Mac linked to my hi-fi if I didn't select 'surround sound', even though my hi-fi is limited to stereo. The latest DVDs from the same source are OK, though.

It's worth mentioning that CDs or DVDs that won't eject are potentially less of a hazard if the optical drive is a separate unit.

*Not the same, but opera DVDs are a useful way for me to gauge performers and productions from around the world without the need to venture furth from Scotland, or even from my mildly isolated house.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d with Mac 10.9.5
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 4/1/2015 6:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you burn "folder", I presume what the burner does is creating a CD with mp3's, not an audio CD. Quite a few CD players know how to play mp3's, but not all. Could that be your problem with the other player? A "normal" CD contains uncompressed audio (AIFF), not mp3's.

Reluctantly accepting Finale 2014, despite all its bugs and flaws. Because I have to, not because I want to.
Mac OS X 10.10.2.

Taz
Registered Member

Click to send Taz email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 339

Posted 4/3/2015 9:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a short update:
The CD with which I'm having the problem plays back with no problem in my wife's vehicle.
So I have to assume that my wife's 2013 Toyota has some updated software that my 2003 Toyota Tundra does not.

I'm about to try the "create a playlist" in iTunes as suggested - I've never used iTunes, so we'll see...

Thank you all for your assistance.

PM 2004, 06, 07, 08, 11, 14
Born & Raised in Devonport, Tasmania.

Sony Vaio - XP,P4, now plus an iMac 21.5
and JABB, which I can't figure out.

"quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything"

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 4/3/2015 5:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As was pointed out earlier, you are making an MP3 disc, which is just a data disc with a selection of MP3 files burned on it.  Many modern CD players, e.g circa 2013, can read and play an MP3 disc, but older ones cannot, e.g. circa 2003.  If you burn your MP3 files to a disc in actual Audio CD format, the MP3 files will be converted to CDA files before being written to disk.  Then the CD will most likely play in any CD drive.  Also do not use a re-writable CD, i.e. a CDRW, if possible, since many older CD drives will not be able to read them either.

Wierdness, BTW is incorrect, it should be weirdness.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 4/3/2015 4:58:13 PM (GMT-5)