Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > My Formatting nightmare. Finale '14  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Drumkat
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DrumkatAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 51

Posted 7/2/2015 4:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Made a little video demonstrating my issue with this particular score. I've experienced it before when working with this particular composer/collaborator but ONLY with him. Is there a way I can strip ALL page formatting and start a new???? Also, any clue how to get rehearsal marks (A,B,C,D....) to show up on ALL parts, but just a select few???

Really not looking forward to handing out parts that take hours to try to get to look even readable and then still have them look like complete garbage. Been using Finale since 3.5 and this is a new one.

thanks in advance for ANY assistance. Video on youtube.... /www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAnpB2rn7KY

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/2/2015 4:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First off, if you manually change the formatting of Staves/Systems/Pages without setting things the way you want in the master Score/Part page formatting pages, you're bound to continue to have problems. If you are collaborating, make sure both of you know enough about Finale and how it works to avoid these issues.

So, without knowing how you have been working, I'd be at a loss.

Zuill

P.S. This looks like a minor bad dream, not a nightmare.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 7/2/2015 5:11 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, you probably should go through the tutorials.
Hints :
If you want to re-format all pages : Document -> Page Format -> Score / Parts. To apply the values entered there, go to Page Layout tool, menu : redefine pages -> all pages.
Also, you need to respace staves (Staff menu).
Don't use Special part extraction but Document menu -> Manage Parts -> Generate Parts.
Resize tool (% icon) : resize the enlarged staff to the same percentage as the other staves.
These are a basic steps.

Michel
Finale 2014d, 2012c (main), 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.9.5, Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express, 3 monitors.

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 7/2/2015 5:33 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel's suggestions will get your page displays under control and uniform in appearance. Once that's done, I would unlock the systems and run music spacing. After the spacing is calculated, you might want to lock the layout with the same number of measures per page, probably 4; if you're still in the arranging process, this will help you keep your place. The measures with rehearsal marks, indicating start of phrases, should be first on the page - usually they are every 8 bars.

This looks like a Marching Band arrangement. I see what looks like the marching percussion section, but below that are several reduced size staves. What are those? Just curious. Makes for a score needing a lot of vertical space.

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM
New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 7/2/2015 9:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whenever I get a file that seems to be based on a template with a hundred options all set wrongly, I just copy the contents to one of my default documents. If I have several, I set up a template file to copy into, then save under a different name so as to preserve the original template to use again.

Christopher Smith

Mac 2 x 2 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
OSX 10.7.5
Finale 2012c r.13
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

Drumkat
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DrumkatAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/4/2015 12:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
that's what I thought Chris a few hours after I posted this, just set up a new doc, Pain in the butt and time consuming but it seems to be working.....that is UNTIL I switch out of page view OR studio view. SCROLL view, it is a completely blank page. WTF????

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/4/2015 12:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Would you post the problem file for us to diagnose?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 7/4/2015 3:34 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Drumkat said...
that's what I thought Chris a few hours after I posted this, just set up a new doc, Pain in the butt and time consuming but it seems to be working.....that is UNTIL I switch out of page view OR studio view. SCROLL view, it is a completely blank page. WTF????

The new document you created must have had some staves in it before you copied music over from the other document. Did they show?

Try Updating Layout, and Redraw Screen (cmd-D).

You may have a Staff List enabled that has no staves in it. Hit ctl-0 (zero) to show all staves.

But post the file, definitely!

Christopher Smith

OSX 10.7.5
Finale 2012c r.13
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

Drumkat
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/5/2015 11:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
restarted my computer, same thing. Blank on the scroll view, which is what I used to set it all up in the first place. Page view, studio, fine, it's all there. Anyone wanna take it for a test ride?

File Attachment :
KNOX FALL 2015 - 7:4:15.musx   720KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 7/5/2015 11:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I try to download your file I get this:

Bad RequestBad Request

Can you rename it something simple, without the hyphen and colons?

Bill

Finale 2014d (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.3 on another

Drumkat
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/5/2015 11:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
new file attached

File Attachment :
FALL.musx   720KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 179 time(s).

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 7/6/2015 12:03 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Under View > Staff Sets choose All Staves instead of Staff Set 1.

Bill

Drumkat
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/6/2015 12:05 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Genius. thanks Bill!

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 7/6/2015 9:19 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Stevens said...
Under View > Staff Sets choose All Staves instead of Staff Set 1.

Bill

Is there an echo in here? :-)

But I saw it, sight unseen, by telepathy! I am taking these internet points. ;-)

Christopher Smith

OSX 10.7.5
Finale 2012c r.13
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 7/6/2015 10:14 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, Christopher saw this before I did, so he gets the internet points and I am refunding the reward money, but I am keeping the post calling me a genius.

Bill

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 7/6/2015 10:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
D'oh! I was looking forward to pointing it out to my wife. "See, honey? Someone on the internet thinks I'm a genius!" ;-)

Christopher Smith

OSX 10.7.5
Finale 2012c r.13
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

Drumkat
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/7/2015 6:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
smilewinkgrin