Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Kontakt  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dvidnzt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dvidnztAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2011
Total Posts : 18

Posted 7/8/2015 12:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use Finale as a controller to run Kontakt so I can use fairly decent sounds (LA Scoring Strings/Cinesamples, etc.). Is there a way to really automate things like dynamics and velocity (as I would with a DAW) so it can change throughout playback. The only thing it seems to respond to is the volume slide and then I'm stuck with whatever volume it's set to.

Thanks!
David

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 7/8/2015 12:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think so. Even though it has pretty good playback tools, at heart, Finale is for notation. As you point out, you could do this with a DAW, which pretty much indicates that is what you should be using.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

dvidnzt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dvidnztAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2011

Posted 7/8/2015 1:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
DAW wouldn't work for what I do. It surprises me that finale doesn't have this - if they're putting so much into playback, automated playback seems like an early feature to work out. Is there not even a workaround?

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 7/8/2015 7:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is a solution, Finale's Human Playback preferences. The default preferences are customized for Garritan samples. If you want to use other samples, you'll need to create custom HP preferences for your situation. Right now, Finale is sending GPO midi information to your samples. Your samples use different midi controls, so they don't respond to dynamics, etc...

But in my opinion, you're better off just working on your sound file in a DAW and notation in Finale.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Gary Foss
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary FossAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 282

Posted 7/8/2015 10:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You didn't mention which version of Kontakt or Finale you're using. If they are fairly recent you should have no problem following Jetcopy's advice. The full version of Kontakt permits the redirecting of CC information via the 'Auto" function to other CC volume controllers contained in your Kontakt libraries.

OS X 10.6.8, Mac Pro, 13GB, Finale ver. 2.0 - 2012c.r13, Kontakt 5, Garritan libraries (original full KP2 versions) and a really old Roland A-30

dvidnzt
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2011

Posted 7/9/2015 1:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Guys! Any advice on where to look to figure out how to do this - I'm a novice when it comes to computers.

dvidnzt
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2011

Posted 7/9/2015 1:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Using Kontakt 4 and 5

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 7/9/2015 1:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're a novice, it'll be much less frustrating if you simply use the included Garritan samples.
If you want to use other samples in Finale, lookup Human Playback Preferences in Finale's manual. Reading that combined with examining the default preferences should give you a running start.

You mentioned that a DAW won't work for you. Be aware that these other samples are made to be used with DAW's, using them in Finale doesn't always work like we hoped it would.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM