Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Meter problem  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

PWade
Registered Member

Click to send PWade email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to PWadeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 101

Posted 9/18/2015 6:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am having a problem that has never arisen before now. I finished a piece, in 4/4, then realized that I needed to insert a 2/4 measure, then back to 4/4. I entered the 2/4, and of course it changed all the notes in the subsequent measures. Then, after the 2/4 measure, I went back to 4/4, but all the subsequent measures were still "off." Surely, there is a way to enter a meter change for one measure, then back to the original meter w/o completely messing up the rest of the piece. Any help would be appreciated.

Mac Book Pro
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Finale 2011
East West Symphonic Gold
Ivory Grand Pianos, Synthogy
Pro Tools 9
Kontakt 4
Play
Komplete 7

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/18/2015 6:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Insert a blank measure stack, with the 2/4 time sig. Shift or add the notes as needed, leaving the rest of the score alone.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/18/2015 8:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When you go to change the time signature of the inserted measure, instead of right-clicking and picking 2/4, double-click from the Time Signature tool to open the dialog. There you can specify "Measure 123 through 123" or whatever it is. If you right-click instead, you get "Measure 123 to next time change" which is what's tripping you up.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

PWade
Registered Member

Click to send PWade email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to PWadeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 101

Posted 9/18/2015 9:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Motet, and Mike. I have used Finale for years, and had never had to do this. Again, thanks for your help.

Mac Book Pro
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Finale 2011
East West Symphonic Gold
Ivory Grand Pianos, Synthogy
Pro Tools 9
Kontakt 4
Play
Komplete 7

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/19/2015 1:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would insert he measure stack then, when in the Time Signature Tool, hold the metatool 2 while double-clicking the inserted measure.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Rebecca Oswald
Registered Member

Click to send Rebecca Oswald email.Click to visit Rebecca Oswald's website.Send a Private Message to Rebecca OswaldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 438

Posted 9/19/2015 11:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After you insert a measure stack, as you give the empty stack a different meter you can toggle on or off "Rebar Music". I usually leave it unchecked, so Finale will leave the subsequent measures alone. That way one avoids any copy-paste types of changes to ties, dots, rhythmic subdivisions, etc.

Rebecca

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS 10.8.5;
Finale 2014d; Cubase Studio 4; GPO, JABB, C&MB; several EWQL libraries;
Korg 01w/fd, Roland RD300 (yeah, they're old), and a Baldwin Hamilton

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/19/2015 11:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is "Rebar" sticky? I'm wondering now why PWade had a problem. Seems like the former 4/4 measures would have been temporarily overstuffed but ultimately none the worse for wear when set back to 4/4. (Of course, things would look misleadingly bad for a while.)

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 9/19/2015 12:36:01 PM (GMT-5)