Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Why are these tremolos not in the right place?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

twistiejoe
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to twistiejoeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 218

Posted 11/28/2015 4:20 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just used the articulation (8) metatool but they're not in the right place ... what's wrong here? Thanks.

Finale 2014 Full Version
Long-time Sibelius user trying to learn how to use Finale. Help me please!

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 11.57.19 PM.png
  27KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 123 time(s).

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted 11/28/2015 4:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Download the JW Yada Yada Tremolo plugin, it will take care of this. Finaletips.nu as always.

Finale 2014d, Win 10, Korg M1, Oxygen 25

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 11/28/2015 9:59 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
twistiejoe said...
I just used the articulation (8) metatool but they're not in the right place ... what's wrong here? Thanks.

Yeah, you sure are running into all the little problems in Finale that we all have!

My particular solution to that problem was to have a different tremolo for whole notes than for stemmed notes. I set it to metatool 9, right beside 8 for the stemmed tremolo. Bill Duncan's Articulations font has a slightly wider tremolo suitable for whole notes that he has set the positioning on so that it centres properly.

Or the JW Yada Yada plugin works wonders, too. (Let us know if you get the reference in the name! It's pretty funny! I'll tell it if some one wants me to.)

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5

Jeff Hamburg
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeff Hamburg's website.Send a Private Message to Jeff HamburgAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 1383

Posted 11/28/2015 1:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Christopher Smith said...
(Let us know if you get the reference in the name! It's pretty funny! I'll tell it if some one wants me to.)

"You have no idea what my people have been through."
"The Jews?"
"No, the dentists. Did you know we have the highest suicide rate of any profession?"
"Is that why it's so hard to get an appointment?"

Jeff Hamburg

iMac 3.5 GHz i7 OS 10.11, Finale 2.0.1 --->2014d, 8 gb ram, 30" HP ZR30w, EWQLSO Silver Play, XSample Chamber Ensemble, Numark USB Audio Interface UA-1ex, M-Audio Keystation88

Post Edited (Jeff Hamburg) : 11/28/2015 11:35:07 AM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 11/28/2015 2:58 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Due to a bug, you need a separate tremolo for whole notes with the placement set to "notehead side" instead of "stem side." Or use the JW plug-in as suggested.

See this thread:

forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=464285&g=464312

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 11/28/2015 3:01:03 PM (GMT-6)

Philip.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Philip.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 1466

Posted 11/28/2015 6:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is the document I created back in 2010 with separate tremolos for whole notes.

forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=283092&g=283919

But even though I created this document and it was useful at the time, I always use JW Yada Yada now, because it also solves the stem length problem.

Finale 2011c, 2012c, 2014d
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1
Logic Pro X
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM
www.nycmusicservices.com/

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/28/2015 8:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeff Hamburg said...
Christopher Smith said...
(Let us know if you get the reference in the name! It's pretty funny! I'll tell it if some one wants me to.)

"You have no idea what my people have been through."
"The Jews?"
"No, the dentists. Did you know we have the highest suicide rate of any profession?"
"Is that why it's so hard to get an appointment?"

That's the reference, but do you know WHY Jari referenced this? :-)

Christopher Smith

OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5
or
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5

Jeff Hamburg
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeff Hamburg's website.Send a Private Message to Jeff HamburgAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 1383

Posted 11/29/2015 7:51 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope that it is because Jari made a cameo appearance in the episode, but I guess there is another reason?

Jeff Hamburg

iMac 3.5 GHz i7 OS 10.11, Finale 2.0.1 --->2014d, 8 gb ram, 30" HP ZR30w, EWQLSO Silver Play, XSample Chamber Ensemble, Numark USB Audio Interface UA-1ex, M-Audio Keystation88

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/29/2015 9:41 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeff Hamburg said...
I hope that it is because Jari made a cameo appearance in the episode, but I guess there is another reason?

I would have hoped that too, but no. :-)

It's because the Seinfeld series begins and ends with the same non-joke, George complaining about how close the second shirt button is to his collar. Jari thought that the tremolos being too close to the noteheads by default needed correcting, just like George's shirt button.

Cute, eh?

Christopher Smith

OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5
or
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 11/29/2015 2:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Isn't it just easy to adjust the settings for these articulations?

NOTAT.IO - notation forum
Finale 2009c now (works better than 2011c) on OS X 10.6.8 and not thinking to upgrade any more until both computers die completely (iMac 21', MacBook Pro 13').

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 11/29/2015 2:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The ideal placement varies with length of stem and presence or absence of flags or beams. So, as with the whole notes, you would need multiple versions of the articulations.

Ideally, Finale would make the adjustment at placement time, but that would be a new paradigm.

Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 11/29/2015 2:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, a new setting just for the whole noteheads would fix that.

NOTAT.IO - notation forum
Finale 2009c now (works better than 2011c) on OS X 10.6.8 and not thinking to upgrade any more until both computers die completely (iMac 21', MacBook Pro 13').

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 11/29/2015 2:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you actually read the thread, you'll see that a couple of people have provided that solution. But it doesn't address flags and beams, as I said. You would need more than one additional articulation to handle all cases.

Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input