Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Normal and Rhythmic Notation style on same staff?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

pugman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pugmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2002
Total Posts : 5

Posted 7/23/2002 2:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sure this has been posted before, but
I'm having a heck of a time trying to
combine a melody line with slashes (that
I want to use for chords). I tried reading
the manual but it's not working. Can
someone maybe give me a step-by-step
guide to combining a rhythmic notation
style and normal notation style on the
same staff?

Much appreciated.
pugman

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 7/24/2002 5:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can you describe what you would like it to
look like (and what version of Finale you
are using)?

Mark Johnson
Registered Member

Click to send Mark Johnson email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mark JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 93

Posted 7/24/2002 10:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you are using Finale 2000 or newer...

1. Enter rests into measures you want to convert to slash notation and enter the chord symbols on the rests.
2. With the Staff Tool, highlight the area of the staff you want to convert to slash notation.
3. Control-click the highlighted area and choose Slash Notation (if you are using fin2000, you may have to choose Apply Staff Style from the context menu first).

Mark

pugman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pugmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 2:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ok, so i've enterred one measure's worth
of my melody in layer 1 and rests (for the
chords) in layer 2, then attached chords to
the rests in layer 2. So right now I have
melody and rests appearing in the same
measure with chords appearing above
the rests. now I want to make the rests
appear as slashes while still keeping the
melody as normal notation, so i grab the
Staff tool, while in layer 2, and select the
measure and choose "Apply Staff
styles..." and select "Rhythmic Notation"
but it converts both layers to Rythmic
notation.

Mark Johnson
Registered Member

Click to send Mark Johnson email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mark JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 6:06 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, now all you need to do is tweek the Staff Style a bit. First, clear the staff style from the region. Then...

1. With the Staff Tool selected, choose the Staff menu and select Define Staff Styles.
2. For Available Styles, choose Rhythmic Notation.
3. Click the Select button under Alternate Notation.
4. After Apply To, choose Layer 2.
5. Check Show notes in Other Layers and Show Items Attached to Notes in Other Layers.
6. Click OK twice to return to the score.

Now, apply the rhythmic notation Staff Style to the region. Layer 2 will appear with slashes, and layer 1 with normal notation.

Mark

Mark Johnson
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 6:15 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oops. Actually, if you want the rests to change into slashes, follow the same steps, only edit and apply the Slash Notation staff style (instead of Rhythmic).

If you want to use Rhythmic notation,with stems and slashes instead of noteheads just change the rests back into notes.

Mark

pugman
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 6:48 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ok, i've done all that, but now the only
difference is that I have my rests back, but
now I have a big blue rectangle over the
measure that says "02. Rhythmic
Notation"..... can you still help me???

Mark Johnson
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 8:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try changing the rests to notes. They will display as regular notes with slash noteheads on the middle line. The Rhythmic notation Staff Style does not change the appearance of rests (the technique of entering chord symbols on rests applies only if you want to use the Slash Notation Staff Style).

The blue rectangle is just a marker that tells you where a staff style has been applied. It doesn't print (and will go away when you choose a tool other than the Staff Tool).

Mark

pugman
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 8:12 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cool, that worked, ok but one last
question. Since the Rhythmic notation
show up in the middle of the staff, it's right
in the middle of my melody. Can I move
the the notation up above the staff so that
my melody can be seen below?

Mark Johnson
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 11:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sure. You'll have to move the slash characters above the staff and then adjust the beams accordingly. Before going through these steps, go into the Rhythmic Notation Staff Style definition, and in the Alternate Notation dialog, make sure "Stems Up In Rhythmic Notation" is Checked (if it isn't already).

1. Options (menu) >> Measurement Units >> EVPUs (so we can use round numbers).
2. Options (menu) >> Document Settings >> Music Characters. Click the Positioning button. You'll see the Music Characters Positioning dialog box.
3. Here, adjust the vertical positioning of the slash. 24 EVPUs = one staff position. Try these values.
Baseline adjust:
Stem Connection:
4. Click OK twice to return to the score. Now you need to adjust the stem height.
5. Click the Special Tools Tool.
6. For non-beamed notes, click the Stem Length Tool, and then click one of the measures with rhythmic notation. Drag enclose all of the handles and drag them (or use the Up Arrow to nudge them for consistency).
For beamed notes, click the beam Angle Tool and do the same.

This probably seems like a lot of work to just move the Rhythmic Notation. It's way easier in 2003 (you can define the stem/beam height and offset in your staff style, and there's a new dialog box devoted to Alternate Notation options). At least the stem and beam length is all you will need to edit measure by measure.

Hope this helps

pugman
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2002

Posted 7/25/2002 3:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
well, that did the trick!! but that was a
huge setup procedure.... i guess it's time
to upgrade, huh? hey, thanks a ton for all
that information, you sure know your
stuff!!!

all the best!
-Scott

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 7/26/2002 10:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 7/25/2002 12:00:00 PM, Mark Johnson wrote:

>The blue rectangle is just a
>marker that tells you where a
>staff style has been applied.
>It doesn't print (and will go
>away when you choose a tool
>other than the Staff Tool).

You can also turn it off in the Staff menu; just uncheck Show Staff Styles.

Cheers.

Gary