Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Scanning into Finale  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

cbent
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to cbentAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2002
Total Posts : 6

Posted 7/24/2002 6:44 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can someone who has experience with MIDIScan share wisdom with me? First of all, i don't yet own a scanner and i have heard that you don't want to get the fanciest, hi-res model for this purpose. Any recommendations on Mac-compatible scanners? What should i be looking for/avoiding in the specs?

Also, is it true that MIDIScan will only read one voice per staff? That sounds like a major drawback. I imagine i'd want to scan a piano score or two. Is MIDIScan a really useful feature or am i wasting time thinking about it?

cliffdzihner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to cliffdzihnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 486

Posted 7/24/2002 8:44 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 7/24/2002 10:44:00 AM, Catherine Bent wrote:

>Also, is it true that MIDIScan
>will only read one voice per
>staff?

Yes.

>That sounds like a
>major drawback.

It is.

>I imagine i'd
>want to scan a piano score or
>two. Is MIDIScan a really
>useful feature or am i wasting
>time thinking about it?

I don't find it useful. I've only talked to a couple of people who think it is.

Jerry Engelbach
Registered Member

Click to send Jerry Engelbach email.Click to visit Jerry Engelbach's website.Send a Private Message to Jerry EngelbachAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 109

Posted 7/25/2002 1:46 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Finale 2003 includes SmartScore Lite, which is vastly superior to MIDIScan. SmartScore works beautifully. I have had no note errors in converting many multi-voice scores.

Whether SmartScore makes the upgrade worth another hundred bucks to you is another matter.

Any scanner will do that will give you 300 DPI resolution and allow you to save in line-art (rather than gray-scale) mode, which probably means all of them.

It's also helpful to have an image-editing program (I'm a designer and I use Photoshop) if you need to clean up the scan, but not essential if you can make any needed adjustments through the scanning software.