Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Editing Tab  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gil DeBenedetti
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Gil DeBenedetti's website.Send a Private Message to Gil DeBenedettiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 48

Posted 7/25/2002 7:33 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Let me begin by saying that I am using 2001d, because maybe I should upgrade.

I have a classical guitar piece which I wrote in standard notation and for which I have used the Automatic tab plug-in to convert to tab. I am having trouble editing fret numbers with the note mover tool. I would like to have a note played on a higher fret and by a lower string than those originally notated by the Automatic tab.

My procedure, as outlined in the manual, is:
1.turn off the top staff of the tab, which is used only for rhythmic notation.
2. select the note mover tool and select "delete after merge" from the note mover menu. The manual says to select Delete _and_ merge, but my menu only has the Delete _after_ merge option.
3. select the string with the original number as produced by automatic tab.
4. drag the number's handle to the string which I would like to play the note.

This has worked for me before on another piece, but the result of all this now is the disappearance of all other fret numbers for that string in that measure. If the note is the first note in the measure on that string it appears correctly, but every other number on that string is gone. If I inspect the damage with speedy entry tool (with "edit tab as standard notation" selected) I find that previous notes on that string have been deleted.

I can edit fret numbers in Speedy Entry, but this will be very time consuming compared to the dragging method with the note mover tool (when the pitch is right, but the string is wrong).

Why does dragging ruin the other fret numbers on the same string? How can I avoid it?

Gil

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 7/25/2002 11:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gil, try selecting the measure(s) of the
standard and all tab staves with the mass
mover tool and running the automatic tab
plugin with a lowest fret number. It is a lot
easier. If you need to use the note mover
tool and it doesn't work right, try selecting
the measures on the target string with the
mass mover tool, and select Clear
Entries and Smart Shapes from the
pull-down menu first. Then (with the note
mover tool), select all of the notes that
will go on that string from the standard
notation staff, and move them all at the
same time. If you are using a stem-only
staff in the tab, you can transpose the
notes that correspond to the tab number
up or down with the speedy entry tool.

cliffdzihner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to cliffdzihnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 486

Posted 7/25/2002 11:51 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 7/25/2002 11:33:00 AM, Gilbert DeBenedetti wrote:
>Let me begin by saying that I
>am using 2001d, because maybe
>I should upgrade.

Tablature was a significant improvement in 2003.

Gil DeBenedetti
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Gil DeBenedetti's website.Send a Private Message to Gil DeBenedettiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 7/26/2002 3:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, thanks for the suggestions. I find they both work, but they are less than ideal.

If I redo Automatic Tab for the measure, and I specify lowest fret, my simultaneous open bass strings get shifted up to fret 5. The complicated upper parts are good, but I must still edit the low strings. If I drag from conventional notation to tab string with note mover, my note articulations and ties tag along for the ride. Again, the upper parts are good, but I must edit out the extras.

Both methods are far better than resorting to speedy entry, so you have helped me out. I'm just wondering why the drag from string to string doesn't work, as it says it should in the manual (and as it does when there are two voices on the same target string), and I am suspecting that it is time to upgrade to 2003.

For the life of me, I don't see what all the fuss is about with 2K3 not being native. I must be really stupid, but I'm looking forward to finally booting up in OSX. If I get better tab as well I'll be really happy.

Thanks again

Gil

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 7/26/2002 10:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 7/26/2002 7:22:00 AM, Gilbert DeBenedetti wrote:

>If I drag from
>conventional notation to tab
>string with note mover, my
>note articulations and ties
>tag along for the ride...

One thing I've learned in years of doing TAB: If you have to use Note Mover to bring stuff down to the TAB strings, do it before you put anything else in the treble staff, or you'll get those unwanted hitchhikers in your TAB.

In general, I will enter the treble stuff a system at a time (depending on the complexity of the music, it could be just a single measure or the whole page), space it, and create the TAB. Then I go back and add slurs, articulations, fingerings, etc.

TAB has indeed been changed greatly in 2003, but the biggest thing, IMHO, hasn't been addressed, and it has to do with some of what you describe: We should be able to tell Finale the string(s) and range of frets that we want to use for the TAB. Unfortunately, since TAB notation is now vastly different from how it used to be, I don't think this will ever be possible. I'm stickin' with 2002, myself...

Cheers.

Gary

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 7/27/2002 3:24 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you 100% sure you did the steps as
you wrote them, because what you
described is what happens when you use
"Delete after Replace", not "Delete after
Merge".

Gil DeBenedetti
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 7/27/2002 5:27 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
what
>you
>described is what happens when
>you use "Delete after Replace", not
>"Delete after Merge".

Yup, I'm sure I selected "Delete after Merge". Same thing occurred to me. That's why I was so puzzled.

Gil