Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > OT: Ipad, ForScore, Finale iOS thingy  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
31 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 1/18/2016 10:27 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just bought myself an iPad (finally), so trying out what it can in terms of music. I've got ForScore, which seems to be THE score reading app. But I also have a copy of Finale's iOS app. Anyone tried that of late? I've heard that it doesn't work so well on iOS 9?

I'm also giving NotateMeNow and SmartScore NoteReader a test; as well as Symphony Pro and Notion. Will let you know how I get on, but if anyone has any recommendations/tips, do please share.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014.5, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/18/2016 11:11 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Finale iOS app is dead. They have given no indication that it will be revived.

ForScore is to replace your binders full of sheet music. I love it.

NoteReader is fun, but I haven't found it to be very practical. Read this:

https://techinmusiced.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/smartscore-notereader-is-available-how-does-it-compare/

I (occasionally) play with Notion on the iPad, but I really don't have much use for it.

Enjoy the iPad!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 1/18/2016 11:20 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy,

Which iPad did you get? The iPad Plus with the Apple Pencil looks very interesting -- but very expensive.

Bill

Finale 2014.5 (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.3 on another

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 1/18/2016 11:40 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Along these lines, I need to get one of those bluetooth page-turner pedals. Can anyone recommend a model, or steer me away from one that is a dud?

Bill

Finale 2014.5 (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.3 on another

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/18/2016 2:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Stevens said...
Which iPad did you get? The iPad Plus with the Apple Pencil looks very interesting -- but very expensive.

I got the Mini 4, with 64GB, Wifi only.

"This is me helping."

jdpmus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jdpmusAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002
Total Posts : 129

Posted 1/18/2016 2:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A couple of observations. I use ForScore for conducting shows; even with repeats, DS, etc. it can be set up to function flawlessly. I also use it when playing gigs, realizing that I just sometimes need a lead sheet for chords on the tunes we play. I almost pulled the trigger on an iPad Pro when it came out, thinking I would like the extra screen size. The price, however, caused me to go back to the 3rd generation iPad that I have used for several years on stage. If you are old enough to remember the Kalmus study scores and could conduct from them, then you should have no problem with the conventional iPad. The Finale songbook app that Mike mentions is no longer available or supported, but I keep my copy on my tablet in case I want to look at a .mus score downloaded from Dropbox.

As for the bluetooth pedal question. I purchased a Cicada pedal and tried using it for page turns in classical music. My problem with it is that it gives me one more thing to think about and sometimes causes train wrecks a bar or so before a page turn because I'm thinking about that instead of my playing. Also, it presents another factor when you have a repeat. If you have to go back more than one page, you lose your concentration trying to remember how many times to push it. I think if you are a guitar player or organist you may already have the chops to use one without a problem. But for me, I find it a distraction.

YMMV

MacBook Pro, 4GB, Finale 3.2-2014d, Logic Studio Pro, Mainstage, Miroslav Philharmonic, SampleTank, Axiom 25

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/18/2016 10:47 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
Bill Stevens said...

I got the Mini 4, with 64GB, Wifi only.

Unless you've got really good eyes, the Mini won't be much good for ForScore.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/19/2016 2:51 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tried it out with some PDF scores in the shop, and it looks good enough. I think I'll only be using it for perusal, not performance.

"This is me helping."

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/19/2016 12:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You've got better eyes than me, then! I'm aiming for an iPad Pro, as soon as I can afford it...

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/19/2016 1:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can see perfectly. Why, I can see that pin down there. Let me come with you!

"This is me helping."

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 1/19/2016 2:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
You've got better eyes than me, then! I'm aiming for an iPad Pro, as soon as I can afford it...

Mike,

Like you. I've been thinking about the Pro. But it is expensive. With the Air, I see how you can use that while singing, because you're holding it maybe 18" from your face. But what's your opinion on reading the Air from a music stand, about 30-36" away?

JT

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/20/2016 12:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It wouldn't work for me, plain and simple. For others, it would depend on their eyesight, lighting conditions, and other factors. Is this for a first reading runthrough, or just "reminders" for a score you know well?

Can you borrow one? Or, take a music stand into the store with you and try it. In an Apple Store, I suspect they would let you load a PDF of a music doc, or find one online.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

John Iafrate
Registered Member

Click to send John Iafrate email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John IafrateAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 504

Posted 1/22/2016 1:33 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bought an iPad Pro and it's excellent, especially when you're reading a lot of sixteenth notes. As far as the bluetooth page turner I bought an Airturn Duo and it's also excellent.

John
Finale 2011c, 2012c
Mac Pro 3.2 - 16GB(Ram) OSX 10.8.5, 10.9

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/22/2016 7:28 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After a bit more time with it:

I'm using Symphony Pro, which is not a bad notation enter-er. It can export to MusicXML. Still a bit fiddly to place notes with your finger, but it does have a piano keyboard. Notion also similar. Neither as fast as SimpleEntry!

ForScore is very good and practical for musicians: even only as a "binder" PDF holder, plus annotations. Haven't really explored the more complex elements, like adding beats to pages and having it tap them out, which is a bit more work, but great functionality.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014.5, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.3)

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/22/2016 1:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Iafrate said...
I bought an iPad Pro and it's excellent, especially when you're reading a lot of sixteenth notes. As far as the bluetooth page turner I bought an Airturn Duo and it's also excellent.

You're not helping (my budget!) :p :p

Wiggy, you might want to try a stylus. Much better than fingertips!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Post Edited (Mike Rosen) : 1/22/2016 11:17:48 AM (GMT-6)

John Iafrate
Registered Member

Click to send John Iafrate email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John IafrateAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 504

Posted 1/24/2016 11:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry Mike...

John
Finale 2011c, 2012c
Mac Pro 3.2 - 16GB(Ram) OSX 10.8.5, 10.9

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 1/25/2016 11:47 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What GB size does everyone recommend? The 32GB iPad Pro is a lot more affordable but I don't know how that translates to actual use.

I've got about 400-500 songs (leadsheets) that I would need to use in ForScore. And maybe 60 or so music CD's. No Movies, No games.

JT

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/25/2016 12:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That should be alright: you can of course supplement the hilt in storage with iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc, etc, only loading a selection of files on board even you need it.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014.5, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.3)

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/25/2016 2:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
32GB is plenty. I have close to 400 pieces in ForScore, and the app and data take up less than 1 gig. As long as you don't do movies, there is plenty of room for everything.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

JoSePa
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JoSePaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2002
Total Posts : 34

Posted 1/25/2016 3:56 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you seen this?

http://www.henle.de/blog/en/2016/01/25/“henle-library”-app-redefining-sheet-music/

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 1/25/2016 4:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JoSePa said...
Have you seen this?

http://www.henle.de/blog/en/2016/01/25/“henle-library”-app-redefining-sheet-music/

Wow! Nice set of features! Of course, entirely based on reading music (except for the built-in metronome) but still, very impressive.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 1/26/2016 4:43 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not entirely based on reading music:
'And of course we also have something for those of you who want to use the app when playing: First of all, there’s a professional metronome. Secondly, you can record and listen to yourself. But that’s not all, you can listen to yourself playing the original tempo but you can also speed up or slow down the recording – the original pitch is preserved – and if you want, in a continuous loop. Just imagine all of the possibilities there are for teaching or self-study!'

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014.5, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.11.1
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 1/26/2016 4:46 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is indeed impressive and I wouldn't be surprised if other publishers tried to follow suit. It would certainly make it worthwhile to invest in an iPad [pro] with internet and a bluetooth page turn foot pedal...

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014.5, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.11.1
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

thomasmith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit thomasmith's website.Send a Private Message to thomasmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 96

Posted 1/26/2016 1:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy: "I can see perfectly. Why, I can see that pin down there. Let me come with you!"

Donald Pleasence in "The Great Escape?" the Forger, who was now blind! Am I the only one that got that? Or does nobody care?

btw; Steve McQueen movies aside, interesting discussion about iPads and foot pedal/page turners. I played with another guitarist who was quite adept with the foot pedal page turner. He used a regular size iPad for the music, (a composition of mine, in fact) which I found to be microscopic to try and read. I stuck with paper, but if anyone here thinks the Pro makes it readable for a gentleman "of a certain age," I might experiment with it. After all, don't want to wind up like Donald Pleasence.

Thomas Smith
Guitarist, Composer/Arranger, Engraver
Finale 2014d, 2012c, (and every previous version since 2.0)
2009 Millay Colony for the Arts Composer Resident
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4 Gb RAM; OS 10.10.5
15" MacBook Pro, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4 Gb RAM
iPad running iOS 7
M-Audio Fast Track Pro Audio Interface, M-Audio Keystation 49e
www.thomasmithmusic.com
www.rhinesmithduo.com
www.milmontparkmusic.com

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/26/2016 1:59 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very impressive! Not much use to me, since I'm neither a performer or musicologist, but really neat!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com