Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Is a release date known for 2014.75?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 2/8/2016 9:11 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The more I work with 2014.5, the more I realise that this "update" is even worse than 2014 itself was. It is horribly, horribly slow. It is infested with bugs, some major and a zillion small ones, that aren't fatal, but infinitely annoying all the same.

When will MakeMusic ever learn that updates are for fixes, upgrades for new features? When will those long-, loooongstanding bugs finally be addressed?

Evaluating 2014.5
Mac OS X 10.11.2.

encephalon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit encephalon's website.Send a Private Message to encephalonClick to Add encephalon@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 315

Posted 2/8/2016 5:46 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree. I have encountered a number of weird bugs with 2014.5 that others can't seem to reproduce. They are variously present on either but not both of my workstations (office and studio). This weekend I bit the bullet and did a complete melt-and-repour (reformat and clean install) of OS X 10.11 and individually reinstalled all my applications (did not restore from a TM backup). IIRC I hadn't done this since Mountain Lion.

I haven't yet had a lot of time in actual use since, but I did check two of the more annoying Finale bugs and so far they are not present (app preferences not saving, unable to undo/delete after some dialog boxes). Up next to test is the annoying loss of window focus problem. I'll report back soon.

Previously I still had 2012 and 2014d (and all their associated files) installed. Now I only have 2014.5. Perhaps that was part of the problem.

Also, I haven't yet installed some of the audio-specific extensions (e.g. iLok and eLicenser), and not all my AU components are back, but the mainstream ones I often use are installed as well as my M-Audio USB drivers.

encephalon
27" iMac i7 3.4/32 GB RAM – 768 GB SSD – Mac OS 10.10 – Finale 2012c/2014d – Logic PRO
Hackintosh #1: Intel i7 Ivy Bridge 3770K/24 GB RAM/2 TB SSD Storage - Mac OS 10.10 – Vienna Ensemble Pro
Hackintosh #2/File Server: Intel i5 Sandy Bridge 2500K/16 GB RAM/8TB Storage – Mac OS 10.10 – Vienna Ensemble Pro

Knut
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to KnutAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 601

Posted 2/9/2016 2:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My initial tests of 2014.5 under El Capitan revealed increased efficiency over 2014. Even though nothing substantial has changed with my setup or installed software (as far as I know), except for OS updates, for whatever reason 2014.5 has shown to be too slow for real work. The size of the score does not seem to have much to do with it either. My only solution has been to roll back to Finale 2014. The later revisions to El Captan seems to work better with the prior Finale version.

13" MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz. Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, Apogee Duet 2, Samsung SyncMaster 245b
OSX 10.9.5, Finale 2011c and 2014b (not using it yet) w/GPO & JABB, Patterson Plug-Ins, TG-Tools and QuickKeys 4; Sibelius 6, Logic Pro X, Adobe CS3, FontLab Studio 4, FontExplorer X Pro 3

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dave LangAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 364

Posted 2/9/2016 4:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's the latest 2014.5 bug I've discovered - if you have two documents open, and want to switch between them using "command `" occasionally Finale decides that key combination shouldn't work anymore and you have to use the mouse / menu to switch. A restart of Finale fixes that.

As far as the new version goes, I'm guessing they'll target the start of the school year in September 2016. And I'm also guessing they'll miss that target for actual release. I think we'll see something announced in the summer that we can actually try to use in November. It's anyone's guess right now. Check out the new owner's twitter feed / blog whatever if you want to see where his focus is. It's not on notation software, that's for sure.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (late 2013), OSX 10.11.2, Finale 2014.5

Hector Pascal
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Hector PascalAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 339

Posted 2/9/2016 7:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've just finished preparing a one-hundred-page score plus parts using 2014d under Yosemite in record time (for me!). Everything went smoothly, thank goodness (thanks also to the expert help from generous and clever forum members). I did notice bugs, and Finale editing speed sometimes seemed slow when the score got long and filled up with articulations, expressions, etc. And I felt that playback pre-processing became too slow for my purposes, I had a deadline to meet! 2014d also has a frustrating bug that whenever you delete a bar, the score jumps back to bar 1. I understand the 2014.5 fixes that. Alas, I stuck with 2014d and Yosemite. I felt it was a case of "better the devil you know..." Having said all that, I am now sniffing the air, wondering if the time is right to upgrade?!

Hector Pascal.

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 2/10/2016 5:55 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FWIW, I've had good experiences with 2014.5 and definitely don't need to go back to 2014d or even 2012. I usually don't have the slowdowns in 2014.5 that I had in 2014d and when I do, changing the view or switching tools gets the speed back. With 2014d I'd have to restart Finale.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014.5, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.11.1
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 2/10/2016 6:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Every single day I encounter a new problem with Finale 2014.5.

Right now I have created a new score from scratch. Not a single note entered yet, just setting up a small score (18 staves) and adjusting the text blocks on the page (title, copyrights, page number, header, footer). I just finished editing the frame attributes of the page numbers text block on page two and (still in page view) I have no possibility whatsoever to get to page one. According to the page number in the lower left corner I'm already on page one (which I'm not) and consequently the arrow buttons and scroll bar don't function. I switched to Safari to write this post here and when switching back to Finale, Finale finally realised page two was in view and gave me the scroll bar and the arrow buttons back to manoeuvre back and forth between page one and two. Yet another manifestation of the focus problem?

Evaluating 2014.5
Mac OS X 10.11.2.

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 2/10/2016 6:59 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For display problems, Update Layout is the first thing I usually try.

Michel
Finale 2014.5, 2014d, 2012c (main), 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.9.5, Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express, 3 monitors.

Hector Pascal
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Hector PascalAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 339

Posted 2/10/2016 8:21 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which versions of Finale will run on my new MacBook Air? It came with El Capitan already installed.
PS: There is no mention of El Capitan in the system requirement info provided by MakeMusic here: http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3545/
Thanks,
Hector.

Post Edited (Hector Pascal) : 2/10/2016 6:24:49 PM (GMT-6)

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 2/10/2016 10:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try this: in the Score Manager edit the instrument name by pasting some text after the instrument name that is already there. The blinking vertical cursor will remain at the insertion point (right after the original text), but that's not where the actual insertion point is after the paste. The vertical line should blink at the end of the pasted text, because that is where you can add or delete further text, but Finale gives you a misleading visual signal.

Go to Plug-Ins>Note, Beam, and Rest Editing (why is there a comma after Beam?)>Check Region for Durations… This dialog has a GUI that is very different from other plugin dialogs, but never mind that. As you will see the default button is "Check". Perform the check and the default button will visually change to "Done", which should dismiss the dialog. However, when pressing enter, which should perform as clicking the default button (in this case "Done"), the dialog will not be dismissed, but another check is performed. Again Finale gives you a misleading visual signal.

Just two instances from the top of my head where Finale shows something completely different from what actually is. How is one supposed to work with an application that gives you incorrect visual feedback?

Evaluating 2014.5
Mac OS X 10.11.2.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 2/10/2016 8:28:23 PM (GMT-6)

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 2/11/2016 7:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hector Pascal said...
Which versions of Finale will run on my new MacBook Air? It came with El Capitan already installed.
PS: There is no mention of El Capitan in the system requirement info provided by MakeMusic here: http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3545/

The answer us there :
makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5648/kw/capitan
I wish you "reasonable success", to quote them ;)

Michel
Finale 2014.5, 2014d, 2012c (main), 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.9.5, Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express, 3 monitors.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 2/11/2016 1:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Writer of Music said...
Go to Plug-Ins>Note, Beam, and Rest Editing (why is there a comma after Beam?)

/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 2/11/2016 1:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Back to the question: MakeMusic doesn't announce release dates. I have the Windows version, which says it is 2014.5.6359. I'm guessing the last 4 numbers mean something, but I don't think they release updates by those numbers. If they did, the next update should be 2013.5.6360.

Anyway, I know Mac and Win are quite different in terms of finale and its implantation under various OS versions, but I find that, with Win 7, 2014.5 had some improvements over 2014d. However, it also continued many bugs, and even introduced some new ones. So, I too am looking forward to future developments. With Windows, fortunately, I have 2011, 2012, 2014d and 2014.5.6359 all on one system (actually both of my systems) and they are all functioning as well as expected. My work habits might be different than others (I save often and close Finale often, keeping things running smoothly).

Intriguing to think that there might be a 2014.75. However, I am guessing that won't be the next version name. But who knows.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Ralph L. Bowers Jr.
Polymathist

Click to send Ralph L. Bowers Jr. email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ralph L. Bowers Jr.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 883

Posted 2/11/2016 1:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm fairly sure the next version will be a paid version for all. Not even a hint of what new features it might contain?
For me I am hoping to get editorial ties (both dashed and dotted).

Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 TGTools Pro, Patterson plugins, JW plugins (current for each Finale Instalation)
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, 8.0.1, Write Score Sound Sets, TMT Publisher Bundle Plugins, Bob Zawalich plugins, Dolet 6.5
Print Music 2004, 2010a, 2011a, 2014a
Progression, Progression 2, Progression 3, Notion 4, [Notion 5, (bought but not installed)]
Pro Tools 9.5, Reaper
Kontakt 5
GPO4, World Instruments
SmartScore X Pro, SmartScore X2 Pro, PhotoScore Ultimate 6 & 7 & 8.04 ( 7 has some utility----best of those available, 8 has some issues that need fixing)
M-Audio "Oxygen 25" Midi input keyboard (recent addition 2014)
Systems (4) // Windows XP Pro, [email protected] Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, 4GB - 16GB RAM
Paper & Pencil

BMus, MM (Musicology)