Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Extremely slow performance  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mcp111
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mcp111AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 34

Posted 7/8/2016 12:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was working on a file and everything looked fine, but Finale was responding slowly. So I saved and restarted. When I opened the same file, all of the notes are now missing noteheads. Again, It was all OK before the restart and I didn't switch anything. I just saved and restarted.

I tried uploading a screenshot, but the upload button is not responding. Maybe bigger issues with my Macbook?

Any ideas?

Post Edited (mcp111) : 7/8/2016 12:39:49 PM (GMT-5)

mcp111
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mcp111AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 7/8/2016 12:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, it looks fine now - I think it was still opening. I think the biggest issue is the program runs very slowly. I'm using a 2011 Macbook, 8 GB of memory and a new solid state drive that makes every other program run much faster.

Before I quit, I was just using simple entry and each note took almost a second to display after entry. Not sure why the program runs so slowly. I just restarted and I'm experiencing the same lag time.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/8/2016 1:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It might help if we knew which version of Finale you're using.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

mcp111
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 7/8/2016 1:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry - 2014.5. I've been using it since it came out. The lag is either a recent thing or its been incrementally getting worse.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/8/2016 1:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You might consider trashing your preferences.

Zuill

mcp111
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 7/8/2016 1:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Would that have any major effect on anything else? Shortcuts, etc.

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 7/8/2016 2:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It would affect lots of settings, so the trick is to drag the prefs file to the desktop and restart Finale, which will cause Finale to create a new file. If the problem persists after this, then you can move the old prefs file back where it was with no harm done.

Bill

Finale 2014.5 (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.3 on another

mcp111
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 7/8/2016 3:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The preferences file didn't help. Any other ideas - short of buying a new machine?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/8/2016 3:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is the slowness with all files?

Zuill

mcp111
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 7/8/2016 3:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Winner! The file I'm working in was converted from a scan. Others are working fine. I think I usually have issues when working with scanned files, such as the inability to change dynamics and other things.

Is this common? I'm using the built-in SmartScore lite with TIFF files.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/8/2016 3:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think scanning itself is to blame, although I have found that scanned files have many hidden, hard to find settings that interfere with smooth operation of Finale. For that reason, my preference is to enter everything myself from scratch. I have found clean entry leads to a lean and smooth operation of Finale.

If you are well enough versed with Finale, you should be able to find all the hidden stuff. I am quite able in Finale, and still find too many things that come up to bite me after a scan. Thus, no scanning for me.

Zuill

mcp111
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 7/8/2016 3:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess I'll have to deal with it. Probably not going to rewrite full concert band scores by hand! That said, it would be nice to know how to get rid of some of the hidden stuff. In particular, the inability to get dynamics to change. I come across that often when using scans. Any advice? I'm assuming there's some MIDI info in the file that is telling it to override my dynamics.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/8/2016 4:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unless I can see the score, I would be hard pressed to know.

Zuill

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 7/8/2016 10:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SmartScore whether the Pro or Lite versions convert the .tiff to MusicXML. You import this into Finale.

These files should not be slowing Finale down. Are you using the latest version of SmartScore Lite?

For kicks, try downloading the current version of SmartScore Pro and see if that fixes the problem — besides, the Pro version supports much more of the MusicXML spec. If it works out, the price is $199 to update. There's another recent thread that explains how best to use SmartScore Pro—I'll find the link.

Mike Rosen's instructions in this thread are far better than the ReadMe that comes with SmartScore:
forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=479718&p=2

Finale 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.11.5
MOTU Digital Performer 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.2

Post Edited (MikeHalloran) : 7/8/2016 10:49:30 PM (GMT-5)

mcp111
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 7/9/2016 8:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AS far as versions, I have what came with 2014.5, which is 10.0.2. No updates available that I can find on their website.

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 7/9/2016 10:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mcp111 said...
AS far as versions, I have what came with 2014.5, which is 10.0.2. No updates available that I can find on their website.
So what? Download the demo of the Pro version and see if it makes a difference.

Rumor has it that SmartScore Lite or any other scanning utility is being dropped from the next version of Finale.

Finale 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.11.5
MOTU Digital Performer 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.2

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 7/9/2016 11:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, Finale will sometimes slow to a crawl in some files. It's not a limitation of the hardware: pretty much every Mac in the last six years should have no problems running Finale.
You need to send the file into MakeMusic. I doubt there's a fix for the file right now, but it may help them to improve matters in future versions.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014.5, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.4)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 7/9/2016 11:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
I doubt there's a fix for the file right now, but it may help them to improve matters in future versions.

Idea-

Copy the contents of the file into a fresh template. Set the Edit Filter to copy all necessary entries EXCEPT MIDI data.

N.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

1970—New York, New York: Times music critic Harold Schoenberg says, “Trombone players are like ministers—quiet, dull, very moral. Nobody ever heard of a rebellious trombone player.”

Jeef27
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jeef27AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 24

Posted 7/11/2016 3:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Words cannot how frustrated I am right now about this whole situation.

5 minutes ago, I did a side by side performance comparison between two computers;

Computer 1;
*Mac Pro (Late 2013)
*Processor; 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
*Memory; 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
*Value; Over $4000 (New)

Computer 2;
*Acer (2013)
*Processor; 1.6 Ghz Intel i5
*Memory; 6 GB Ram
*Value; $700 (New)

Guess what? To the surprise of no one, the Mac Pro smoked the Acer in every single element and in every single program.....except one. Finale 2014.5. That's right, a $700 PC just smoked my $4000 Mac Pro in Finale in every element you can imagine. There's no comparison, the program runs significantly faster on PC than Mac.

How is this acceptable? I've been a faithful Finale user for over 10 years and I simply cannot believe that MakeMusic would put out a new version of Finale and have it perform this poorly. You are basically selling a faulty product. And it's not really an option for me to downgrade to a previous version at this point because I am working on 12 massive projects with pressing deadlines that are already in 2014.5 and for me to convert them back would take just as long as it would to just put up with the slow performance of 2014.

Sincerely,

One very frustrated faithful Finale user.