Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Question about measure number regions in a large file with many regions  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Oldest Post First ]

Philip.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Philip.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 1466

Posted 7/27/2016 10:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It may yet be easier to delete all the measure regions and re-apply them when you are finished, using the JW New Piece plug-in. That's what I did recently for a similar project.

forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=346964

Finale 2011c, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5
Sibelius 7.5.1, 8.3
Logic Pro X
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
OS X 10.11.5
32 GB RAM
www.nycmusicservices.com/

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 7/26/2016 5:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
geraldc said...
Thank you Zuill and Vaughn for your good suggestions! However, I have not yet been able to make them work:
1) with the Measure Numbers plug-in, I tried what you suggested (just adding 5 measures to a region as a test). When I selected the next region to the end of the score, and put 5 in the box, the plug in did not regard that as a valid input (I tried -5, just in case, but that also did nothing). Any further suggestions on a step I may be missing?
2) as far as InsertDeleteMeasures.lua, I downloaded that, but my computer (and I!) did not know how then to get it to be part of Finale.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Gerald
You must install the plug-in JW Lua before you can use either my script or any JW Lua script.  After installing the JW Lua plug-in, run it, and click on the development tab, then open my downloaded script in the development window by clicking on the dropdown and choosing open.  After the script loads, you can click on the button to run the script.

http://finaletips.nu/index.php/download/category/28-beta-version

Instructions are found here

http://finaletips.nu/index.php/download/category/10-plug-ins-for-mac

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 7/26/2016 5:51:18 PM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/26/2016 3:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have no problem doing it either of the 2 ways.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

RV
Registered Member

Click to send RV email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RVAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 173

Posted 7/26/2016 2:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually - reading this... makes me blush somewhat - and wonder why I use a software that can't do this thing properly?!?!
This should be one of the more critical things one should be able to do in a SCORE-CRATION application of 2016 !

Just as change the staff-layout of music, without needing to be a math-genius ..with a degree in quant-physics. (just overdoing a tiny little bit).
...or, my favourite; to change the notation speed of a score - with ONE click of a button... and it actually works.

well-well...
- new times are coming up in the Computer Music-Notation-world...
Maybe things WILL change after all ... if we are lucky.

; )

RV
iMac (12,1), 2,5GHz, 8Gb RAM • OS 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5 (2014d, 2012, 2008, 2005, 2003, v.3, v.1.1)
Logic Pro 10.2.2
HP Laserjet 5200

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/25/2016 3:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Before using the plugin, you need to install the program that uses the plugin.

Zuill

geraldc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to geraldcAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2016
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/25/2016 12:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you Zuill and Vaughn for your good suggestions! However, I have not yet been able to make them work:
1) with the Measure Numbers plug-in, I tried what you suggested (just adding 5 measures to a region as a test). When I selected the next region to the end of the score, and put 5 in the box, the plug in did not regard that as a valid input (I tried -5, just in case, but that also did nothing). Any further suggestions on a step I may be missing?
2) as far as InsertDeleteMeasures.lua, I downloaded that, but my computer (and I!) did not know how then to get it to be part of Finale.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Gerald

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/22/2016 11:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd forgotten about that one. Good call. That basically automates the steps I outlined.

Zuill

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 7/22/2016 5:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's also a lua script for adapting measure regions after adding or deleting measures. I've needed it numerous times and it works very well.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014.5, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.11.5
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

File Attachment :
InsertDeleteMeasures.lua   11KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 191 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/22/2016 10:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Offset location and Cover Holes are the 2 features you need. After adding measures to a region, select the first measure of the next region to the end of the score and use Offset location to shift those regions by the number of measures you added. So, if you added 5 measures, put 5 in the box. Then, select the region in which you added the measures and use Cover Holes. This will now have the complete number of measures in that region included in that region numbering.

Zuill

Post Edited (Zuill) : 7/22/2016 10:35:59 AM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 7/22/2016 10:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would break them out into individual files, and combine them at the end.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

geraldc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to geraldcAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2016
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/22/2016 10:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A question re measure numbers in a large file with multiple measure number regions:
I am working with a large file, an act of an opera, which is divided into 10 scenes, and thus 10 measure number regions.
I am now doing revisions on the score, and am trying to figure out a way so that when I make cuts or additions to a particular scene, that I do not need to completely redo the measure number regions for each change in the number of measures in the document, but that each scene can still stand as a region.
Does anyone know of any way to accomplish this?
Of course, the simplest solution is to take out all measure number regions while I do the revisions, and then add them back when I am completely finished—but it would be wonderful to know if there is some way for the program to know that the measure that I had set as the beginning of a new scene/region, always stays as the beginning of that scene/region.
I did just download the JW Measure Numbers plug-in, but have not yet figured out whether this might be of any help in this situation.

If JW or anyone else has suggestions on this it would be much appreciated!

thanks
Gerald Cohen