Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Maestro now SMuFL compliant?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 8/31/2016 6:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"We’ve also been asked about our plans to support Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL) fonts in Finale. We’re concurrently working on this support and updating our flagship Maestro music font to be SmuFL compliant. In the process we will add thousands of new glyphs to the font. The current plan is to not provide this with Finale 2014.5, but to make it part of the next version of Finale." —Mark Adler June 15, 2015 Finale Blog

Is the version of the Maestro font included in Finale 25 SMuFL compliant and is it included with Finale Notepad?

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014d (Finale 2011 as a backup) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4 SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 8/31/2016 7:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think so. It is not been flagged bout it.
Finale does not support SMuFL either (except if you want headache tweaks).

NOTAT.IO - NOTATION FORUM

Finale 2014.d 2014.5
Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM.
+ iMac + MacBook - older.

Mark Adler
MakeMusic, Inc.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mark AdlerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2013
Total Posts : 364

Posted 8/31/2016 9:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello John,

The SMuFL version of Maestro was not released with Finale v25, it is still a work in progress.

Mark F. Adler
Notation Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 8/31/2016 6:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you very much, Mark. I greatly appreciate your direct response.

OCTO., do you mean that there are deep issues within Finale that prevent SMuFL compliance?

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014d (Finale 2011 as a backup) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4 SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 8/31/2016 10:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am not sure, but I guess that SMuFL font mapping is not implemented in the code, so the problem would occur if one tries to switch between SMuFL and non-SMuFL fonts.
I have tried to swap all needed symbols with SMuFL in a SMuFL-musx-document (to be used as a template) and so it could be used with any SMuFL font, but I have faced numerous problems (for example suddenly missing symbols, or other oddities in display, or oddities in print). So I lost interest doing that. Maybe some plug-in would be able to fix it (if anyone has time for that).

It seems for me that SMuFL can be an issue for both MakeMusic and Avid - they simply don't want any intrusion from "Product B" that could make if any influence or compatibility.

OTOH, developers from "Product B" have made, in my opinion, a monster-font-compatibility. What is point to use the private area for symbols, when the regular common ranges are very enough, starting from Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Coptic etc, - that would be much easier to understand.
So we have in SMuFL thousands symbols which are, for common users, not so useful; and many common symbols are placed at very far range. You cannot simply type "f" to get the forte symbol - that is the most ridiculous issue. In Finale SMuFL symbols are displayed as strange symbols across Finale's GUI menu, since you need to type U+E522 or U+1D191 to get "f".
I am not sure how it was meant to be, but "pick a symbol" is the only way.

The SMuFL is intended to be used exclusively inside of a notation software with a "pick-that-symbol GUI".
Finally: It was intended to be useful only in a notation software, but which one? Just "product B"?

Finale 2014.d 2014.5

Post Edited (OCTO.) : 8/31/2016 10:06:43 PM (GMT-5)

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 9/1/2016 2:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Ruggero said...
OCTO., do you mean that there are deep issues within Finale that prevent SMuFL compliance?

Finale is only short of SMuFL compliance is two areas: you cannot specify the characters to be used for time signature numbers (you can choose the font, but the not what glyphs are used); and the baseline height of the whole rest is different in the SMuFL representation, and this can't be altered in Finale. I did try making a Bravura Default .musx file a while ago, and those were the only two limitations I found.

Apart from that, you can map any notational symbol in Finale to any glyph in a SMuFL font, if it's the current Default Music Font. Obviously, this means changing all the glyph settings: it's not just a question of switching fonts. That takes time and effort, but once you have a library, then that should apply most changes to existing docs. The real problem is wading through the thousands of symbols. Luckily, they are sorted in groups, and there is reference documentation on the SmuFL website. Things like PopChar can help, too.

November2 solves the problem by having glyphs in both the "Finale" positions and the SMuFL positions.

"This is me helping."

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Post Edited (Wiggy) : 9/1/2016 3:06:54 AM (GMT-5)

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 9/1/2016 9:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
I did try making a Bravura Default .musx file a while ago, and those were the only two limitations I found.

We would be more than happy if you could share that file with us. :)

Wiggy said...

Apart from that, you can map any notational symbol in Finale to any glyph in a SMuFL font, if it's the current Default Music Font. Obviously, this means changing all the glyph settings: it's not just a question of switching fonts. That takes time and effort, but once you have a library, then that should apply most changes to existing docs.

As far as I remember, I had some issues with symbols. I cannot find that file now, but symbols were cut-off, somehow to big or to small, some were suddenly disappearing or similar. I couldn't get it work properly.

Finale 2014.d 2014.5

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 9/2/2016 7:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for your input, OCTO. and Wiggy. Especially for the explanation for why November works in Finale. So Fravura is also not SMuFL-compliant, but simply the Bravura glyphs moved into Finale positions.

Apparently Finale itself must become SMuFL-compliant, and that might have to happen before they issue a SMuFL Maestro font. That could be a long wait.

www.cantilenapress.com