Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > About to start formatting parts (for 4000-bar opera)...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 10/12/2016 8:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi gang,

I'm about to start prepping parts (for Act I...Act II still be orchestrated; gotta get my team of assistants going on the parts tho), and I wanted to check in about a couple of things.

1) I'm thrilled to see that finally, in Finale 25, the "add cue notes" plug-in seems to work properly! (i.e. it adds a staff name, after not doing that since forever)

2) In 2014, when I prepared the first version of this opera, I made a decision that I would actually try to keep score and parts truly linked. Meaning, I would hide all cues in the main score file, and really have a single document. Though I developed various skills as a result (got very good at hiding items in the score, linking and unlinking etc.,) it was, ultimately, an absolute nightmare, requiring incredible amounts of extra time and effort, and in the end leading to multiple errors that weren't caught (for instance, the need to change instruments on percussion staffs, because the perc. style could not be overridden).

This time around I am fairly certain that I will not make any attempt to have linked score and parts. (In the end, it didn't really help me last time, since rather than a slight revision, I've done a major overhaul and reorchestration of the piece, so that there wasn't ultimately any great value in having the liked score and parts files).

My question is - has it gotten substantially better since Finale 2012 - which I used last time around? Or am I correct that when dealing with a large, multi-movement piece like this, with lots of voices, insts, etc., I'm better served to simply maintain two separate files - one for the score, and another for the parts? (The Act I score has already been submitted to the opera company, so isn't likely to change at this point - except for the errors we uncover when preparing the parts).

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/12/2016 8:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also, in reading the MOLA guidelines (http://mola-inc.org/article/Music-Preparation-Guidelines-for-Orchestral-Music.pdf)

I see this:

The most readable staff size for all in- struments is 8.5 mm (measured from the bottom to the top of the staff). Although 8.0 mm is readable for winds, it is less so for strings.

How does one set a staff size of 8.5 mm for the parts in Finale?

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/12/2016 8:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry - still one more question!

Does it remain impossible to have a different page offset for every part? (since these will be assembled into single books for each instrument. Last time I had to add the page #s in Acrobat; I assume I'll probably have to do the same again)

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 10/12/2016 10:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
How does one set a staff size of 8.5 mm for the parts in Finale?

This is one way to do it. Keeping the page size and system size at 100% will give you an absolute 8.5mm staff height.

N.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Sizing.png
  75KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 270 time(s).

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/12/2016 12:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fantastic - thanks!

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

kvehmane
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kvehmaneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 117

Posted 10/13/2016 4:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The MOLA guideline of 8.5 mm staff is rather large, even for strings and percussion. I think the "industry standard" is 7.5 mm and can be even 7.0 mm, especially for winds.

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 10/13/2016 10:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
kvehmane said...
The MOLA guideline of 8.5 mm staff is rather large, even for strings and percussion. I think the "industry standard" is 7.5 mm and can be even 7.0 mm, especially for winds.
Based on my experience over the years, I would agree, although I suspect the US might favour slightly larger stave sizes than does Europe.

Gould describes the size that seems to be recommended by MOLA as appropriate for 'educational music' and suggests 6.5–7.0 mm as being appropriate for single stave parts, with even 6.0 mm being possible, but not preferred, when necessary (table on p 483 of Behind Bars).

Of course legibility also depends on how well the parts are laid out …

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

RMK
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RMKAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 187

Posted 10/13/2016 10:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a MOLA member, but agree that 8.5 is unnecessarily large.

However, IMO 6 or 6.5 is too small to be easily legible, especially in the opera pit.

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 10/13/2016 1:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FWIW, Finale's default size, at least for A4 parts, appears to be for a stave size of 7.2 mm … Big enough for most purposes, I think.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/13/2016 1:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For the page offset issue, I combine the different acts for a part without page numbers into a PDF file, then do the page numbering in the PDF realm, which is simple. I do recall someone having a Finale solution for that, but if something better than making n text regions and variously hiding them, I couldn't say.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart