Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Dorico available Oct 19  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
105 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary the TAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 710

Posted 10/23/2016 4:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@nordensten; @Michel R. E.

Thanks for the info about note entry. I much prefer MIDI entry, i.e. Speedy (except for the nonsense I'm going through at the moment, which you can read about here, if you're totally looking for a way to fall asleep quickly), to point-and-click or QWERTY-based note entry, just because the music keyboard is my natural milieu.

I rarely, if ever, try to play my stuff in real-time rhythm or tempo, but for 20 years I've entered 95% of my notes with one hand on the MIDI keyboard and the other on the number pad, and that's a hard habit to break.

Cheers,

Gary

Mobile: 17" MBP (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 10.10.5), True Systems Precision 8, MH LIO-8
Home: Mac Pro (2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere", 32 GB RAM; 10.10.5; boot drive 960 GB Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCIe card), OMNI, MH ULN-2, MOTU 8pre
PT HDN 12.6; REAPER 5+ (32 & 64-bit); PreSonus Studio One 3 Pro, Central Station Plus, and FaderPort
WAY too many plugins and VIs; Sound Forge Pro; WaveLab 8.5
Finale 2014d

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 10/23/2016 4:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gary the T said...
I much prefer MIDI entry, i.e. Speedy

Simple does MIDI entry, too. (Jus' sayin' ;-) )

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/23/2016 4:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Right, MIDI is not the issue. Rather, the main issue for me is duration-oriented (specify a duration, then enter one or more pitches) or pitch-oriented (specify a pitch, then enter one or more durations). My ideal would be to have both (which Speedy does, albeit a little clumsily, with CapsLock). Sometimes one is desirable, sometimes the other. It appears Dorico is duration-oriented.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary the TAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 710

Posted 10/23/2016 6:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dr. Wiggy said...
Simple does MIDI entry, too. (Jus' sayin' ;-) )

D'oh! Forgot all about that! I use Simple so rarely that it (like Hyperscribe) barely registers in my consciousness.

@Motet:

I like CapsLock with Speedy when I'm putting in something like Jesu, Joy…

Mobile: 17" MBP (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 10.10.5), True Systems Precision 8, MH LIO-8
Home: Mac Pro (2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere", 32 GB RAM; 10.10.5; boot drive 960 GB Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCIe card), OMNI, MH ULN-2, MOTU 8pre
PT HDN 12.6; REAPER 5+ (32 & 64-bit); PreSonus Studio One 3 Pro, Central Station Plus, and FaderPort
WAY too many plugins and VIs; Sound Forge Pro; WaveLab 8.5
Finale 2014d

stringtapper
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to stringtapperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 101

Posted 10/28/2016 3:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finally got the educational cross grade for Dorico yesterday.

First impressions are that the interface seems well designed. The Players/Flows/Layouts concept is a paradigm shift that will take a while to get used to.

It's pretty impressive how much direct control there is over certain aspects like the width and taper of slurs. It's clear that they have laid the groundwork for future improvements that could very well make Dorico *the* notation program one day…

…but not today. As others have noted, there's just a lot of basic stuff that isn't in there yet. Not being able to manually change the space between staves is something that I'm not sure how anyone could do without. Then again, I get the sense from the forum that most of the people who are switching to Dorico are strictly composing with it (seems like the bulk of the transplants are coming from Sibelius) rather than engraving, so maybe Dorico's spacing algorithms are good enough for that kind of work.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the software, as I certainly won't be able to use it for anything serious in its current state.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if MakeMusic has any kind of response to the release of Dorico (they did release 25.1 on the same day Dorico released) in terms of increasing the flexibility of graphical manipulation.

2.9 GHz i5 27" iMac 8GB 10.10.1 / 2.5 GHz i7 17" MacBook Pro 16GB 10.10.1 / Finale 2014d / GPO4 / Kontakt 5 / Logic Pro 10.0.7