Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Smart Page Turns plug-in  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bret BoulonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 106

Posted 10/25/2016 8:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MM : Can I dare to ask why you removed it ?
When you remove something out of Finale, could you please make it available somewhere if one wants to use that plugin ?
Why do you change so many things all the time instead of making options to users ?

Bret Boulon

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 10/25/2016 10:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which of the improvements in Finale 25 would you like them to remove, in order to maintain a rarely-used plug-in?

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bret BoulonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 10/25/2016 11:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Please, may I now how can they know what is and what is not used ?
Please ?

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 10/25/2016 11:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It reminds me when they changed the way expressions are handled in 2009...
From that point on, expression could not anymore be part of music spacing "avoid collision" algorithm.
Instead of adding a feature and proposing the user to choose, they just changed it.
No matter if many were relying on this for many years..

Are you going to say that this is a fantastic way of making a software grow also ?

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 10/25/2016 11:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bret Boulon said...
Please, may I now how can they know what is and what is not used ?
Please ?

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2.png
  79KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 218 time(s).

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 10/25/2016 11:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ah...
big brother !

how did I ever forget that...

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 10/25/2016 11:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
or as Seneque would put it :
Est turba semper argumentum pessi

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/25/2016 12:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If colliding expressions are a problem vis-a-vis music spacing, you should be using articulations instead for whatever those things are that you have invented.

I put a lot of energy into page turns, and never found the plug-in in any way smart or particularly helpful, except perhaps for a quick and dirty get-the-parts-out-fast. It's more of an art to know where to put them, and the ideal spots change with the music.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 10/25/2016 1:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh well, nothing fancy really..

And articulations are not expressions. what about staff lists logic, etc ?

Octo posted a while ago about that
forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=487092
I copy his example here...

And many times it's between two expressions, like in ppp sfzpp
Somebody in this list told me that it's good to have to do things by hand.
Thats' right. Let's get computers to compute and finish by hand. great...
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
ckkeoem.jpg
  17KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 90 time(s).

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 419

Posted 10/25/2016 4:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
being in this business is all about profit and survival, not about making the user base happy...

(Finale 1.0 (1988) -> v.25) using 2012c & v.25
Cubase 8.5 Pro & Reaper - Vienna Ensemble Pro - Ircam SPAT - Hauptwerk 4 - (Overture 5) - Dorico
Libraries: VSL, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Xsample, Embertone, Wallander, Pianoteq, Sample Modeling, EWQL +++
Garritan Steinway - Garritan CFX pianos
Multiple Windows computers W7/W8.1/i7/32GB

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 10/26/2016 6:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nordensten said...
being in this business is all about profit and survival, not about making the user base happy...

Profit will come from making the userbase happy (and from making it increase): but there's a difference between the userbase and a user.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/26/2016 11:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bret has a point that Finale is particularly egregious at changing and breaking things from version to version. I resist upgrading every single time (and thus MM makes less money from me) because things typically break and change and I don't want to spend the time dealing with it. If things were backwardly compatible and I could just upgrade and continue on my merry way, I'd spring for the new version each time.

I'm guessing there was probably some technical reason it was difficult to adapt this plug-in to the 64-bit version, though.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart