Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > extraneous double bar line (can't be removed)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 10/25/2016 4:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
IN Finale 25, I have a double bar-line, mid movement, that will not go away. It seemed to come from when I copied and pasted material from an older file. (And the very original file on which this music is based dates all the way back to around Finale 2006, though the current file was created in Fin 25).

The thing is too unwieldy right now for me to post a file. Just wondering what I may have missed. The barline is set to normal, and I've attempted clearing all special formatting, and also barline styles. It won't budge. I tried deleting the measure before, but when I created a blank measure afterwards, the double bar was right there where it had been.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 10/25/2016 5:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A shot in the dark :
Are you sure the double barline is not caused by a measure which has been reduced to a very small width. 2 normal barlines close to another look like a double barline.
Check the measure numbering. See if you can separate both barlines and respace the region.

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/25/2016 5:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you have multiple measure number regions? If so, try going to Preferences / View and see if "Display actual measure numbers" is selected. If not, try selecting it and then see if you can change the barlines.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 10/25/2016 7:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can also select multiple measures around the double barline, go to measure attributes and select single barline. This will give a single barline to any measure you have selected.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, El Capitan on separate drive

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/25/2016 8:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
michelp said...

A shot in the dark :
Are you sure the double barline is not caused by a measure which has been reduced to a very small width. 2 normal barlines close to another look like a double barline.
Check the measure numbering. See if you can separate both barlines and respace the region.

Cool thought - sounded promising. But no...I checked and it's not an extra bar.

Motet said...
Do you have multiple measure number regions? If so, try going to Preferences / View and see if "Display actual measure numbers" is selected. If not, try selecting it and then see if you can change the barlines.
[url]

I actually DO have multiple measure regions, though I don't think I did when this problem arose (I just added the multiple regions). Nonetheless, I tried this, and it didn't help. Was still unable to change.

Jetcopy said...

You can also select multiple measures around the double barline, go to measure attributes and select single barline. This will give a single barline to any measure you have selected.

Tried this too. The thing is, when I go look at the measure attributes dialogue, it shows the barline as "normal" not "double." This is why michelp's idea was appealing to me. Finale does not recognize this to be a double bar.

I will see if I can post a demo file. Thanks for the suggestions. Eager for more!

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/25/2016 8:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okey doke - here's a file. Just one page, deleted most measures on both sides, and cleared all the contents. I still cannot delete the double bar line that's in the middle here. Tried in Finale 2014.5 as well.

Big hugs to the Finale detective who cracks the case for me!

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

File Attachment :
TSK II-3 Barline example.musx   421KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 152 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 10/25/2016 9:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to Document Options > Barlines and uncheck "Double Bar Before Key Changes".

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/25/2016 9:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink said...
Go to Document Options > Barlines and uncheck "Double Bar Before Key Changes".

And we have a winner! Fantastic - and I never would have thought to check. This document is keyless, but the old document had previously had a key (before being converted). Also, Finale 25 doesn't seem to really do keyless scores anymore (all my transposing insts have key sigs when viewed transposed, despite my having requested keyless).

Very grateful for your help!

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/25/2016 11:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Parts show key signatures even though keyless is selected? That is definitely a setback and should be reported.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/25/2016 11:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
[/Zuill]
Parts show key signatures even though keyless is selected? That is definitely a setback and should be reported.
Somebody said...

That is definitely the case for me. I posted about it on the forum somewhat recently... in too much of a deadline crush right now to really follow up or report - but it pretty definitively seems like a step back.

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/26/2016 7:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of several problems with the Keyless feature.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/26/2016 8:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...

One of several problems with the Keyless feature.

Well, if it doesn't do this, is there anything is DOES do? Seems like failing at its central purpose doesn't just mean it has problems; it simple doesn't exist.

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X