Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Strange multimeasure rest behavior  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Jared Haschek
Registered Member

Click to send Jared Haschek email.Click to visit Jared Haschek's website.Send a Private Message to Jared HaschekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 629

Posted 10/25/2016 8:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi everyone, if you could have a look at the trumpet, alto sax, tenor sax and trombone parts in the attached file, you'll see that the multimeasure rests in the first half of the song are grouping together strangely. I'd be very happy with one multi rest per section (verse/chorus etc), but I can't make it happen!

If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jared

Finale 2014.5, Sibelius 6, 7, Pro Tools 12.5, Reason 7, Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2016, El Capitan

File Attachment :
Hope (Surely).musx   138KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 113 time(s).

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 10/26/2016 1:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's some invisible element that is breaking the multimeasure rest.

I tried selecting those first four measures and hitting [backspace], and I was then able to create a 4-bar multimeasure rest.

Was this file imported from another program via Music XML?

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/26/2016 2:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are hidden expressions that are causing the MM rests to be broken. How they got there and why they don't show are a mystery.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Jared Haschek
Registered Member

Click to send Jared Haschek email.Click to visit Jared Haschek's website.Send a Private Message to Jared HaschekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 629

Posted 10/26/2016 6:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey guys, appreciate the insight. It's a bit of a mystery to me too, but I CAN tell you that I created this arrangement by taking a previous arrangement for the same company, deleting all the bars, renaming it, and creating a new chart (so as to keep some formatting/settings that I liked), so I'm guessing that's where the issues came from. But as I said, I deleted ALL the bars, so you'd think that the new bars should have come along fresh and clean. I have found, though, that doing this approach, sometimes expressions and hairpins will magically reappear from the previous chart, so I'm guessing it's something like that.

Anyway - many thanks.

J

Finale 2014.5, Sibelius 6, 7, Pro Tools 12.5, Reason 7, Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2016, El Capitan