Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > smart line oddity  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bret BoulonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 106

Posted 10/27/2016 11:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello

I have these lines beginning with text that I use intensively in a score.

They appear fine in scroll view.
But in page view -and as a consequence- in print, they appear with a very large gap between text and the beginning of the line.

I'm stuck with this and I really have to print and send all this score very soon now.
Any ideas ??

MM ??

Bret
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
scroll.jpg
  61KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 214 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
page.jpg
  100KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 211 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/27/2016 11:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Attach a file containing the shape and we'll puzzle it out, but in scroll view it looks like music spacing has not been applied.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bret BoulonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 10/27/2016 12:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Music spacing in scroll now applied but no difference.

I have more than 50 shapes like this.
An the score is 282 pages for 1600 bars (film music)

This happens when you have both a staff reduction (70 % in this case)
and a page reduction : 45% in this case.

I'm in trouble.

Brest

File Attachment :
test.musx   85KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 130 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/27/2016 12:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you're right that it's related to staff and page reductions. It looks to me like it computes the start of the line based on some fixed scaling and then attaches it to a note, which is why the start of your line is anchored on beat 3.

Terrible!

It might be that it uses the scaling in the Page Format settings, since you've rescaled things independent of that. But of course the way it should work is to just start the stated amount after the text.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 10/27/2016 12:40:08 PM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/27/2016 6:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I believe this is a longstanding issue. I may be wrong.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/27/2016 8:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is a workaround: Create a duplicate of the line to be used for the reduced staff. A bit of experimenting should give you the setup that works.

Zuill

P.S.: Once created for Page View, at the given staff or page reduction, realize that it won't look right in Scroll View. That won't matter, as that is not the final layout for printing. Now, if the reduction in the parts is different, which it might well be, then you would need to create a separate file for the proper adjustments for the printed parts. This is a workaround.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 10/27/2016 8:40:11 PM (GMT-5)

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 10/27/2016 10:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is correct. Only Zuill's solution helps.

This happens when you use reduced staff (for instance Violin + Piano).
If you don't need reduced staff, than reduce everything by using smaller staff size.

Finale 2014.d 2014.5
Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM.
+ iMac + MacBook - older.

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2003

Posted 10/28/2016 2:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
done...
pff.
had to find settings for every one of them because the length of the text had an impact..

Hated it.
Definitely on the "to be fixed" bug list

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 10/28/2016 8:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
I think you're right that it's related to staff and page reductions. It looks to me like it computes the start of the line based on some fixed scaling and then attaches it to a note, which is why the start of your line is anchored on beat 3.

Terrible!

It might be that it uses the scaling in the Page Format settings, since you've rescaled things independent of that. But of course the way it should work is to just start the stated amount after the text.

Nailed it. I agree that it is egregious. There are many items like this, including positioning of repeat texts, positioning of graphics, etc., that give inconsistent results based on staff reductions. I will certainly complain about this. I had just accepted it on my usual staff reductions of 85%, but obviously it won't fly when staves get smaller than that.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25