Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Delete Empty Piano Staves in Finale 2014.5  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jazztrptaf
Registered Member

Click to send jazztrptaf email.Click to visit jazztrptaf's website.Send a Private Message to jazztrptafAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 15

Posted 11/5/2016 5:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay folks, I've off and on been a Finale power user but this is something that has constantly bugged me.

I'd like to be able to delete or hide empty piano staves (usually the bass clef staff) from piano parts. Most of my writing is big band and small group jazz so, much of the time, those staves are wasted.

The "Hide Empty Staves" function in the staff tool does nothing.

Ideas?? Has anyone been truly successful with this?

Kerry Moffit

MacBook Pro Mid-2009
8 GB Ram
Finale 2014.5

Kerry Moffit

Finale 2011c.r1
MacBook Pro
OSX 10.6.8
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Ram
Yamaha UX16 USB MIDI Interface
Alesis QS8.2 Digital Synthesizer/Workstation

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 11/5/2016 5:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
you have to select both piano staves, since they are a "group", if you want to hide them.
or else you have to redefine each staff as being permitted to hide individually.

and in Finale "deleting" and "hiding" are two very different things.
"Delete staves" will remove them completely from your score, that is, from the 1st to the last measure.
"Hide staves" will hide part of, or an entire staff. Wherever you need, without removing that instrument from your score.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 11/5/2016 5:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel is close, but I'll give it a little more clarity.

Under Group Attributes for the Piano group, you have to select Hide Staves Normally, otherwise they will only hide both or neither.

Now the Hide Empty Staves function will work as you want it to.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25