Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Change in Forum Location  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
59 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ | Show Oldest Post First ]

John Iafrate
Registered Member

Click to send John Iafrate email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John IafrateAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 504

Posted 12/2/2016 12:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Make Music,
Why take away a tool that everyone uses? New customers come here to learn from the long time users and can ask them directly about solvents to problems. They don't seek out other avenues such Facebook and Twitter. I myself am not a Facebook or twitter person. Not because I'm old but because those social interfaces don't interest me as much as a company community forum like this one to solve problems or exchange ideas. I do go on Facebook but not for the involvement of work. I'm a very active professional musician, and no one tries to hire you through Facebook or Twitter unless you're playing in a bar band! Professionals don't use these outlets. If they thought they were that great they would. Don't forget that we work in creativity and we constantly look for the "New that works". Old habits die all the time and new ones pop up. I really think you need to rethink this one.

John
Finale 2012c Finale 25.1
Mac Pro 3.2 - 16GB(Ram) OSX 10.8.5, 10.9, 10.11.6

Laine
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LaineAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 15

Posted 12/2/2016 11:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's no substitute for a Macintosh-specific forum for Mac Finale users if you really want to connect to customers. The range of understanding is simply too great if Mac use can't be presumed for using the sort of compendium that is typical of these kinds of communities. Do any of the alternatives feature an area for Mac users only?

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 12/2/2016 10:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm 100 % against the idea of closing this forum. The new Help Center is a huge step backwards (unorganized, no logical structure, no user profiles, etc...), and the social networks don't fit the bill at all.
If you want to improve things, just modernize this one with a better forum software (phpBB for instance).

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 12/2/2016 10:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is a terrible idea. Facebook is even harder to search than this present forum, and Yahoo is even more out of date than this forum software.

What possible technical problem can be solved in 140 characters? Twitter is the shallowest of the shallow.

I can't even find out what SHSU is using Google, so that's out, too. Unless it's Sam Houston State University, which I don't know what connection Finale has there.

This forum is more than a simple tech support site. It's a community, with its own subculture and impromptu leaders. It has its town cranks, village idiots, Dead Poets Society, hookers with hearts of gold, and banner-waving communists too, which adds to its charm. I understand why comments were disabled on the Finale Blog, but this is not the same. Degrading this site by dispersing the very best and most loyal Finale users will only harm Finale.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 12/2/2016 9:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just another vote against this choice. I've been on this forum 16 years, and without further explanation, I don't see a good reason to close it. There is a community here, and it consists of some of Finale's longest-time users and most faithful subscribers. Feels like a pretty clear slap to the deepest and oldest user base.

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 12/1/2016 1:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Really, MakeMusic? Your way of 'connecting' with the customer is to create an even wider gap? How was this community right here not centralised, accessible, and most of all, helpful?

Adam W said...
In an effort to provide a centralized, accessible, and most of all, helpful community for all of our customers

Meanwhile quite curious to learn how MakeMusic is going to provide a community for their customers.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 12/1/2016 7:04:48 PM (GMT-6)

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 12/1/2016 12:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
My comments posted on the Windows side.
Mike, I've just registered for your www.finaleforum.com/ as you suggested on the Windows side. I haven't found the new Make Music forum congenial, although I did try it a few times when first announced.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/1/2016 11:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My comments posted on the Windows side.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Adam W.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Adam W.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 54

Posted 12/1/2016 10:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These forums were originally created to provide a way for our passionate Finale users to share ideas, provide valuable input, and find answers from our community. A number of other great public forums for discussion about our products and best practices have become available since this platform first began. These include Facebook, SHSU, Twitter, Yahoo and various other forums and blogs. Also, as many of you know, the release of our new Help Center over the summer provides another avenue for discussion and input.

In an effort to provide a centralized, accessible, and most of all, helpful community for all of our customers, we are focusing our resources on the new forums in our Help Center Community. As of January 1st, 2017, we will only monitor and support these new forums. At that time these existing forums will be locked.

We want this large body of valuable information to remain available, so while these forums will be locked at the end of the year, they will be archived so that they can still be accessed by those looking for any of the helpful historical information located here.

We want to thank you for the value you’ve already provided to MakeMusic and its customers in these forums, and we look forward to seeing you in our new Help Center Community!

Best,

Adam Wig
Director, Customer Success

Michael Johnson
Vice President, Professional Notation

Fred Flowerday,
Senior Vice President, Product Strategy