Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > technique text different playback on repeat  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

hertzbergd
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to hertzbergdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2016
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/1/2016 1:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm a Sibelius user who is using Finale for the sole purpose of importing into SmartMusic, so my comfort level in Finale is not very high. I have imported a file (attached) and there is one section that has cellos and basses playing a repeated section pizz the 1st time and arco the 2nd time. In Sibelius this is a very easy thing to do, but I cannot figure this out in Finale. I know about the Expression Designer window, but I have no idea which "Type" of playback effect I want since none of them seem to be for expressions.

In the attached file I put both pizz and arco at the start of measure 9 for cellos and basses - I would like to use these to affect the playback. Can someone please help me figure out how to do this?

Thanks!

File Attachment :
Skaters Waltz 2016.musx   107KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 111 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/1/2016 2:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can do what you want by making the Arco expression trigger a Data Dump. Assign it to pass 2. Use 3 as units in the dump, then 144, 0, and 127 in the 3 slots.

Zuill

P.S.: I revised your file. See if it plays back properly.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/1/2016 12:57:07 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Skaters Waltz 2016 Revised.musx   108KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 109 time(s).

hertzbergd
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to hertzbergdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2016
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/2/2016 10:48 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow, that worked. Thanks!

Just for my future reference. What do those other three numbers mean in that box? And what is a Data Dump? And why does a seemingly simple task seem so complicated?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/3/2016 1:28 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Units means the number of slots of data. 144 is the On command, 0 is for Arco, and 127, well, I forgot what that is for, but the instructions say to type that number. I'll have to find the answer.

Zuill

P.S.: I know 127 is maximum MIDI value. I guess that is used to send the data at full value.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/2/2016 11:36:48 PM (GMT-6)