Here's another method similar to Al
If you anticipate that you won't be
using Rhythmic Notation as well as Slash
Notation, you can change the defaults for
Rhythmic Notation and use it in place of
1. Go to Options:Document
2. Change the number in the box to the
right of Quarter Note (Small) Slash to 0.3.
This will make Rhythm noteheads appear
above the staff.
3. In your score, pick a layer for your
Slashes and select Show Active Layer
4. Input quarter notes. It doesn't matter
where. When you apply Rhythmic
Notation they'll all appear on the same
line above the staff.
5. Apply the Staff Style for Rhythmic
Notation. You'll see small slashes above
the staff with disconnected stems
6. Get rid of the stems. With the Custom
Stem Tool from Special Tools click in the
measure, drag select all the notes, and
7. From the Shape Selection dialog box
pick a blank shape or create one. Voila,
8. If you want larger slashes, click in the
measure with the Note Shape tool, drag
select the notes, and choose a different
slash from the Symbol Selection dialog
You can copy and paste the slashed
measure as needed. Just be sure to
always turn on Show Active Layer Only.
And you don't necessarily have to use
quarter notes if you want to show a slash
rhythm other than four-to-the-bar.