Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Speed issues  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

SF2
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SF2AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 16

Posted 1/27/2004 1:41 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all,

I just got off the phone with macsuppport and was told that one of the reasons for speed issues is that OSX is slower than OS9. I have not noticed that in any of the Adobe products or any of the many apps carbonized on my machine. Actually most of them are faster. Is what they say true?

How fast is Sibelius in comparison to this OSX version?

Bewildered,
Steve

dtoub
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit dtoub's website.Send a Private Message to dtoubClick to Add dtoub@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 781

Posted 1/27/2004 2:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While I do find the page view in F2004 reminding me of the good old days of 3.2.1 on a powerbook 520c when I loaded everything into a RAM disk to be able to get anything done in a reasonable time, much of F2003 doesn't seem that slow. I do think that most things (Acrobat, Word, EndNote 6/7, Finder) are slower overall in X than in 9.x (or 8.x for that matter). Part of it is the amount of graphic overload (consider what CPU usage is required for animating the Dock, as an example). That isn't an excuse for F2004 to be overly slow. However, as it currently stands, X is still not as fast as it should be and that could have an influence on F2004 overall.

I still think that a more appropriate response from tech support would have been to at least look into it and acknowledge your concerns, rather than blame the OS...

SF2
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SF2AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 16

Posted 1/27/2004 2:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello dtoub,

Let me clarify. I said that the operating system was ONE of the reasons 2004 is slow. Tech support's response was good. They did acknowledge my concerns so let's not blame the tech support rep. They have a tough job ahead of them.

My initial post's question pertains to the operating system and in some ways not Finale's newly released version.

Just hoping there are some computer geeks that can answer the question of OSX speed (as an operating system) vs. OS9.

Cheers,
Steve

B K
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to B KAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 165

Posted 1/27/2004 3:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
fiskums said...
Hello dtoub,

Let me clarify. I said that the operating system was ONE of the reasons 2004 is slow. Tech support's response was good. They did acknowledge my concerns so let's not blame the tech support rep. They have a tough job ahead of them.

My initial post's question pertains to the operating system and in some ways not Finale's newly released version.

Just hoping there are some computer geeks that can answer the question of OSX speed (as an operating system) vs. OS9.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi,

since Jaguar, I definitely don't notice speed difference between 9 and X on NEWER G4 or G5 machines. (Admittedly, as most can't boot 9 anymore, I compare "from memory"). smile

Post Edited (B K) : 1/27/2004 7:43:48 PM GMT

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 1/28/2004 12:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
fiskums said...

Unfortunately, I'm not the geek you seek, but...IMHO, Mac OS X started out dog-slow compared to OS 9 but has felt snappier with each version [particularly w/ Jaguar on more recent machines, as B K noted]. In spite of this issue, I've been an OS X user since the Public Beta, feeling the gains of stability & preemptive multitasking have always more than offset the sluggishness issue.

Pete Sawchuk
PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz w/ 23" Apple Cinema Display
Finale 2003a in Mac OS 9.2.2
Otherwise, Mac OSX 10.3.2

Gil DeBenedetti
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Gil DeBenedetti's website.Send a Private Message to Gil DeBenedettiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 48

Posted 1/28/2004 3:29 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Before I read what tech support had to say about the OS, I assumed the slugishness of 2004 had to do with graphics. My reason for this was that I have yet to ask Finale to redraw. That's saying a lot when I remember how often I used redraw in the past! I still think they must have put in some sort of automatic redraw at the expense of speed.

At any rate, this issue was discussed in a previous thread, where somebody said that deselecting Automatic Update Layout and Automatic Spacing resulted in improved speed. I just tried doing this and it seems to have helped.

Gil

www.pitt.edu/~deben

Sebastian Huydts
Registered Member

Click to send Sebastian Huydts email.Click to visit Sebastian Huydts's website.Send a Private Message to Sebastian HuydtsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 178

Posted 1/28/2004 9:59 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi everyone,

I mailed macsupport and promptly received the following response, most of which I have followed up on and which seems to make a positive difference on my 667 MHz G4 PowerBook, especially switching to fewer colors (1000s iso millions)

"You may see an improvement in Performance in 10.3. We notice that 10.3 manages the systems processor and memory better than 10.2. There are some things that can be done in the program it's self to improve performance. First you can turn off Smart Word Extensions and Smart Hyphens (in the Lyric Options). You can also edit the Redraw Options (in the View menu), or turn off Automatic Music Spacing when entering notes. One thing you can do on your Mac is change your resolution, so the color depth is lower."

Best,

Sebastian Huydts

Barbara B.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 263

Posted 1/28/2004 10:58 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sebastian, glad that worked for you, but be aware that running a lower color depth can cause strange things to happen sometimes in X. If something weird should occur (may not seem to have anything to do with graphics, BTW), try restoring millions of colors as your first troubleshooting step.

Konstantin Neergaard
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Konstantin NeergaardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 37

Posted 1/28/2004 7:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It helps a lot to upgrade the OS... I have upgraded my system to 10.3.2. (From 10.2.8) Everything seems now to be much quicker and more stable... :-) And I can’t make it crash anymore!

/JKN

minstrel
Registered Member

Click to send minstrel email.Click to visit minstrel's website.Send a Private Message to minstrelAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 190

Posted 1/29/2004 2:43 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm getting alot of sluggishness after I get about 50 bars into a score and work on it for a while.  It seems to get slower as time goes on.  Using speedy entry and just getting the editting frame to show takes a while.  If I close Finale and then open it again, it seems to speed up again.  I'm using a 1.2 Ghz G4 with about 700 Mb RAM.

Brian