Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > What is the most efficient way of adding rehersal letters?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Oystein
composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Oystein's website.Send a Private Message to OysteinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 20

Posted 2/3/2004 3:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can anyone tell me if there is an intelligent way of adding Rehearsal letters in a score, that automatically will break multi-measure rests in the parts, that is easy to edit and that will have a consequent layout?

So far I can only see 2 ways, neither of them very satisfying;

1) using the expression tool and add numbers / letters as such (kind of useless: If you add or remove a Rehearsal letter in the beginning of a piece, you have top update all following manually)

or

2) using the measure -> measure numbers -> edit region; which is much more complicate than necessary for working with Rehearsal letters.

I am thankfulfor someone's experience here!

Øystein

Finale 2004
Mac G4 dual 1.25 | 2 GB Ram | OS 10.2.8

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 2/3/2004 5:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For some years I used the measure number way, but I didn´t like it after a while.
Nowadays I always use measure expressions. Since the automatic "breaking multi measure" attribute was introduced I found it the best. I always add them when the scor are finished.

"(kind of useless: If you add or remove a Rehearsal letter in the beginning of a piece, you have top update all following manually)"

In this situation I think the easiest way is to change numbers/letters directly in expression selection.

One thing to point out, be careful where you click when you make the expression, otherwise it can be assigned stranged in conjunction with a system break in the parts.

Björn

2002b, MacOSX 10.3 sometimes Win98, TgTools 2.25, QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2

Oystein
composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Oystein's website.Send a Private Message to OysteinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004

Posted 2/3/2004 6:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK - thanks Björn.
Then I will use measure expression for current projects.

But I think I will make a suggestion for Finale - an improvement is definitely possible here!

Öystein

Finale 2004

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 2/3/2004 6:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
At least for the Windows version, there is a TG plug-in for rehearsal numbers that is said to be good. You might inquire about this. (I don't currently use them.)

I have created rehearsal letters to my liking that is now present in all my templates. So placing rehearsal letters is really easy to do.

I add them when I complete compositions and rarely have to re-enter them because I wanted to insert one earlier on. I don't know if the TG plug in addresses this issue, but it would be nice to have a program that will "reset" the rehearsal letters (or numbers) if one inserts or deletes a letter/number earlier in the piece. (I have made this suggestion to MakeMusic. Again, I have not checked, but it may be already available as part of the plug-in).

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2004a
PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 RAM

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 2/4/2004 3:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As David points out you should off course have sets of reheasal letters allready made in your templates. If you use several variations of them see that they are saved in libraries.

Björn

2002b, MacOSX 10.3 sometimes Win98, TgTools 2.25, QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 2/4/2004 5:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Rehearsal Letters plugins is not part of TGTools, but rather, Jari Williamsson's Forza plugin. Alas, for PC only.

Spankypdx
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SpankypdxClick to Add ppetersen@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2002
Total Posts : 18

Posted 2/9/2004 5:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The way i've been doing it is to assign measure numbers with enclosures do display every 8 bars. Which works fine until I add repeats with endings; then the 8-bar form ends up being off by 2 bars (or however long the ending is) for the rest of the piece. I've played around with the "Edit Regions" command but that seems to be very flaky: I assign a new region for the section after the endings with parameters exactly identical to the first region except for the numbers of the starting and ending measures of the new region, but when I click OK, no measure numbers get displayed at all in the new region. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a technical difficulty in the program?

I too am anxiously awaiting a better solution for rehearsal letters/measure numbers.

Oystein
composer

Date Joined Feb 2004

Posted 2/10/2004 4:33 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The conclusion so far must be: There is no good solution for Rehearsal Letters in Finale (at least not for mac users).

Therefor I am now working on a suggestion for a new Rehearsal letter system. I will post it here soon for feedback before I send it to Finale.

Oystein

Finale 2004

Post Edited (Oystein) : 2/10/2004 8:36:09 AM GMT

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 2/10/2004 10:48 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oystein, "The conclusion" implies that it is a fact, when it is actually an opinion. Slandrom's suggestion to go into the expression library and change C to B (and so on) wouldn't take a minute to do, so my opinion is that expressions are a good solution for rehearsal letters. If the programmers can work out a new kind of expression that would be sequential and would update itself, that would probably be to your liking, but in the meantime, there is a way to do what you want, and it works.

mmjw
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmjwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2001
Total Posts : 16

Posted 2/11/2004 8:16 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have programmed a Quickeys macro to do the following:

In the measure tool, double bar at the end of, say, measure 8, then "begin new staff system" on measure 9.

Quickeys then selects the bar number in the dialogue box, in this case, 9, and copies it.

Quickeys then switches to the expression tool, and creates a new measure expression consisting of the jazzfont enclosures, and whatever number was in the dialogue box from the measure attributes window.

Then all I have to do is click on the bar in question and assign the newly-created measure number.

Not quite perfect, because I haven't found a way to place a measure expression in a bar without actually clicking on the bar itself. This would obviously be very tricky with Quickeys.

Martin