Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Midiman midisport 2x2  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

rob
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to robAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 12

Posted 2/20/2004 4:41 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Anyone using this midi interface with OS 10.2.3? All worked fine until I loaded Finale 2004 for OSX and now no midi. Techsupport both in UK and US blame a fault with the interface or driver - I have downloaded the latest driver availble. Funny how it all worked fine in OS9 and now is faulty in OSX - Help!!!

Robert Scott

peerlessnerd
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to peerlessnerdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2000
Total Posts : 333

Posted 2/20/2004 5:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I couldn't get my 2X2 to work. I downloaded the latest driver and it took quite a lot of goofing around with coremidi to eventually get it going. Can you see the image of the 2X2 in Audio MIDI Setup? I recall it taking CoreMidi a long time to be able to "see" it, and I had to manually configure a New External Device once it finally appeared.

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 2/20/2004 9:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My worked immediately when starting up 2004.

Björn

2002b, (owner of 2004) MacOSX 10.3 and classic, sometimes Win98, TgTools (always the latest) QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2 Twin G4 1ghz. Apple Cinema Display 23"

Croz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CrozAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 17

Posted 2/20/2004 10:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using one with 10.2.8 and also had trouble at first. For some reason just switching the USB port worked immediately. If you have an extra port or can swap it try that. Good luck!

ottowest
An apple a day.

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit ottowest's website.Send a Private Message to ottowestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 16

Posted 2/20/2004 1:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am also using a Midisport 2x2 with OS 10.2.8, but I am only using the OSX demo of Finale, not the full version. CoreMidi would not see the midisport at all at first. I reinstalled the driver, restarted the machine, unplugged and replugged all of my USB cables, and all of a sudden it started working.

Sounds like gremelins!

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end."

"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."

-Douglas Adams-

musictheorygeek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to musictheorygeekClick to Add musictheorygeek to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 81

Posted 2/20/2004 7:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have also had difficulties with 2004 and my midiman 2X2. OS 10 .3.2. I have downloaded the latest drivers, etc., but the problem I'm getting is that whenever I use the playback in Finale through my synth (JV-50), and then hit either the stop or pause button, for some reason everything dumps into the synth and fills up the MIDI buff. Then I have to restart the synth. Every time.

It's actually so annoying that I've gone back to using 2003 (without a hitch) until someone addresses the issues and releases an updater. I'm actually pretty annoyed about it. I've paid for every upgrade along the way since version 3. This one was significantly late, and still has significant issues. If anyone has a workaround or solution to this issue, I'd be happy to hear it and get on with things. (Having taken a short sabbatic from my job to study with a Juilliard faculty member privately, I'm particularly vexed because I'm needing to get work done without wasting time on software issues.)

Konstantin Neergaard
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Konstantin NeergaardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 37

Posted 2/20/2004 9:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Midiman 2x2 worked fine with me - right from the start...

Using 10.2.8 and now switched to 10.3.2.

/jkn

fershizzle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to fershizzleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 3

Posted 2/20/2004 10:05 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have had the same problems with finale playback through my synth module (jv-1080), but I wasn't sure if it was the midiman 2X2 or finale 04. It won't play multiple instuments, and then it gets backed up and will only play the same part over and over even if I solo another instrument. I can change scores but it still plays my old score! if anyone knows how to fix this it would be much appreciated. freaked

jasako
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jasakoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 440

Posted 2/21/2004 12:16 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My midiman 2x2 has worked fine in 2k4 (and even in Classic with 2k3a - after a protracted struggle).

Tom Holtz
not THAT Tom Holtz...

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Tom HoltzAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 27

Posted 2/21/2004 9:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My 2x2 works just fine with F2K4 and OS X.3.2, and better than under OS 9. In fact, the computer can go to sleep and still see the 2x2 when it wakes up. Never had that luxury under OS 9. Now, if I could only make QuickTime use the 2x2 instead of it's built-in synth...

-Tom
iBook Dual USB 500, 384 MB RAM

StageDriver
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to StageDriverAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 16

Posted 2/21/2004 2:02 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a Midiman 1 x 1 that works fine with 10.3.2 and 2004 as long as I don't plug it into my USB hub. Could that be the issue for others?

musictheorygeek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to musictheorygeekClick to Add musictheorygeek to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004

Posted 2/21/2004 6:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the suggestion, which I just tried -plugging directly into the computer instead of the USB hub - and I still get the same result. MIDI Buff full. Have to restart the synth. I didn't have this problem with X.3.2 using Finale 2k3.

Chris A
Registered Member

Click to send Chris A email.Click to visit Chris A's website.Send a Private Message to Chris AClick to Add chriskalexander0 to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableClick to Add chriskalexander to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add chrisa0001@hotmail.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 19

Posted 2/21/2004 11:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have midisport 2X2, and it's behaving oddly - the 'USB' lite constantly fades quickly in & out, as if the power were fluctuating. What does this mean, is it bad, and how can it be fixed? BTW, it's not working with my Allegro, OMS, and Technics digital piano setup.

Chris A.

Chris K Alexander
Day Gig - Contract Data Analyst
Eve Gig - Piano Accompanist & Choral Singer

benloeb
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to benloebAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 10

Posted 2/22/2004 12:21 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a midisport 2x2 also. I had the exact same problems. I neede to reinstall the drivers and then run the Coremidi. It was frustrating for about three hours (I lost a lost of hair from pulling). But once the drivers were reinstalled, everything was OK. Also, once it started working, it hasn't stopped working.

Chris A
Registered Member

Click to send Chris A email.Click to visit Chris A's website.Send a Private Message to Chris AClick to Add chriskalexander0 to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableClick to Add chriskalexander to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add chrisa0001@hotmail.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 19

Posted 2/22/2004 2:22 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the info...but...what is 'coremidi'? I haven't run across this in any of my efforts to get things to work. Thanks for any additional information!

Chris A.

Chris K Alexander
Day Gig - Contract Data Analyst
Eve Gig - Piano Accompanist & Choral Singer

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 2/22/2004 2:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chris A said...
I have midisport 2X2, and it's behaving oddly - the 'USB' lite constantly fades quickly in & out, as if the power were fluctuating. Chris A.

This is a normal behavior for midisport 2X2.

2002b, (owner of 2004) MacOSX 10.3 and classic, sometimes Win98, TgTools (always the latest) QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2 Twin G4 1ghz. Apple Cinema Display 23"

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 2/22/2004 3:21 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chris A said...
...what is 'coremidi'?

CoreMIDI is the MIDI system built into Panther [OS X 10.3.x], eliminating the need for apps like FreeMIDI & OMS. From Finale 2004a, it's selected via MIDI menu > MIDI Setup, "MIDI System" popup menu. The system utility from which you can run scans & tests is at "Your Hard Drive / Applications / Utilities / Audio MIDI Setup"; press the "MIDI Devices" button [top center-right] to access MIDI settings.

ADDENDUM: you can easily access the Audio MIDI Setup utility right from Finale's MIDI Menu [MIDI menu > Open Audio MIDI Setup...].

Pete Sawchuk
Finale 2004a in Mac OSX 10.3.2
PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz [1 Gb RAM]
23" Apple Cinema Display

Post Edited (Pete Sawchuk) : 2/22/2004 10:17:22 PM GMT

David Hessler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David HesslerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 3

Posted 3/24/2004 9:19 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Boy Oh Boy the bizzare Midisport 2x2. I've had one for years, and while I swear by it because its cheap, it has probably the worst interface out there. While coreMidi is supposed to work for finale 2004, I've never seen it work well. What I had to do to get it to work consistantly, is first install lastest driver in both 9 & X (I don't know why, but installing the 9 driver actually helped). Then I installed the lastest version of OMS. However, before using finale with it I connected the 2x2 and restarted. I think that the way the driver works is that when you start up your computer, the driver searches for the device. If driver cannot find the device, the driver pretends that it doesn't exists. I'm guess the programers thought that this would be a memory saving feature. Its a little counterintutive because of the nature of Mac OS X, but you get what you pay for. I think they actually fix this problem in there large USB-Midi Devices. I heard that the 8x8 works really smoothly. If you restart after you connect the device, then Finale should recognize it. If not, check your hardware profile under "about this mac." If your not seeing the device (I think I just calls it USB device) then I might check your USB card & Cable.

musictheorygeek
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2004

Posted 3/30/2004 10:09 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's not an issue fo the driver not being recognized. It's that I have to restart the synth EVERY TIME I use play feature in Finale because something overfills its MIDI buffer. All of the same hardware works perfectly fine with 2003. I am tempted to return 2004 because it is not usable for me in this way. I am frustrated beyond belief.

run4days
Registered Member

Click to send run4days email.Click to visit run4days's website.Send a Private Message to run4daysAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 42

Posted 3/31/2004 11:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm new to Finale, but long-experienced in both music notation and computer technology.
I've got a Midiman 1x1 and to date have not gotten it to make a sound. No lights other than
the power, indicating it sees no MIDI data at all. My current gear is ancient. (A keyboard and
sound module, both vintage 1987, but should work.) My question: I installed 2004 before
attempting to attach MIDI gear. Now I have a vague recollection of seeing something about
how 2004 is tempermental about such things and may not like it. I don't like the idea of
reinstalling 2004, but will if there's a reasonable chance that it might solve the problem.
Has anyone heard anything to that effect?