Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Music Spacing and measure widths  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ms03
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ms03AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 10

Posted 10/7/2004 2:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi

I am using one of the Music Spacing Tables that comes with F2005 for spacing the notes. The notes are beautifully laid out, but all the measures seem to be of more or less the same width, including those that involve time signatures other that the main signature (eg. a 2/4 has the same width as a 4/4). Is it possible to lay out the measure widths automatically according to time signature or do I have to change the measure witdhs manually?

andreas
Registered Member

Click to send andreas email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to andreasAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 10/7/2004 4:44 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to Options menu, then Document Options. On the left side check Music Spacing an on the right side chek: Clefs - Lyrics - Notes & Accidentals - Seconds (if you want). There are 2 record strings for minimum measure and maximum widths. Just play with it to find your preffered width of your measures. Of course you can do it manually (Click on the main pallette the metatool of measure and move richt or left the top handles). But isn;t the right way!

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 10/7/2004 3:08 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try setting minimum measure width to 0.5".

N.

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 10/7/2004 4:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale's default spacing that gives 3.5 spaces for a quarter note is generally too tight. With this setting, avoid collision of lyrics causes too much distortion and longer busy measures are too tight. Try increasing it to quarter has 5 or even 6 spaces.

Be aware too, that by using the mass mover tool selectively you can apply different spacing to different passages depending on the rhythm content and style.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 1.2GHz Dual G4/OSX.3.4/20 inch Cinema display and 20 inch CRT
Finale 2004c/2005
Yamaha P-150 Electric Piano
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface

John Iafrate
Registered Member

Click to send John Iafrate email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John IafrateAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 504

Posted 10/7/2004 9:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter said...
[Finale's default spacing that gives 3.5 spaces for a quarter note is generally too tight. With this setting, avoid collision of lyrics causes too much distortion and longer busy measures are too tight. Try increasing it to quarter has 5 or even 6 spaces.]

Peter:
Where do you adjust the spacing for a quarter note?

John

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/8/2004 4:09 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Under Document Options>Music Spacing>Spacing Widths. Before you go there, you need to make sure you have chosen the measurement method (spaces) he is using. Otherwise, you will be experimenting (inches is the default in Windows). I don't know if Mac is the same, but I have found in Windows, if I change the measurement unit type, I need to exit out of Finale then back in to see the change. Is there an easier way? Is Mac the same, or is it just one of those Windows things?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004b, 2005, Win 2000 or XP

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 10/8/2004 7:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
...I don't know if Mac is the same, but I have found in Windows, if I change the measurement unit type, I need to exit out of Finale then back in to see the change. Is there an easier way? Is Mac the same, or is it just one of those Windows things?...

Zuill,

Mac is not the same. I have never had to exit out of Finale then back in to see a change in measurement units.

Peter

Mac Finale 2004c & 2005, Mac OS X 10.3.5, iMac G4 1.25 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/10/2004 1:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mac defaults in all windows to the units set up in Options>measurement units. As I always work in spaces (being of the old school), it is the setting that my system always defaults to.

As Peter T says, on the mac all changes are available upon selection, no need to exit and re-enter.

Peter

Finale 2004c/2005
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 10/11/2004 12:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also on the Mac - and I thought you could do this on the PC also - you change the measurement units "on the fly" by typing in a number in one of the measurement dialogs followed by e for EVPUs, pt for points, s for spaces, etc. (BTW, these are all listed in the online docs somewhere, I think in the section on the measurement menu.) For example, I usually leave the default units to inches, but if I want to move an articulation over a small amount, I just type "2e" in the H box in the change articulation dialog and Finale does the rest.

Jim Coull

Peter West
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/11/2004 11:32 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice one Jim, I'd forgotten about that.
Thanks

Peter

Finale 2004c/2005
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface