Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > If anyone is looking for a class project with Finale....  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
119 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Guy BacosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 56

Posted 2/14/2010 6:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I am looking for someone knowledgeable enough with Finale who would be looking
for a class project. It would involved taking my midi files, already quantized in most part, except for a
cello cadenza section, and printing a nice orchestral score. In return I can advertise the person's name
on my website http://www.guybacos.com/ and on forums, and give him a recording of the live performance
of the work as soon as it is performed.

Here is the piece, it is called Mourning, for cello and orchestra.

http://www.guybacos.com/audio/Mourning.mp3

I would prefer someone who has some knowledge in string articulations notation, mainly cello, but not an
obligation, later string edited work can be done. The score must be professional enough to be handed to a
conductor. I would be available at any time for collaboration during this project.

Please contact me at: [email protected]

Thanks,

Guy Bacos

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 2/14/2010 8:52 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Keeping in mind that Guy is a fabulous composer.  The music to "Rhapsody for a Lost Soul" is just incredible.

David Young

Historicist Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.
Finale 2.4 to Finale 2010.  Logic Pro 8, Digital Performer, Loaded MAC Tower, two screens, a whole bag of sample libraries including Full GPO, some VSL, True Strike 1 and 2, and now Xsample Chamber Instruments and I have a long ways to go to understand how us all of this.... but quite familiar with Finale!

Join us at www.composeforums.com for
arranging and orchestration!

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 2/14/2010 8:57 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know. Plenty of people on here do what you are describing for a living. I don't think a free CD (or is it an MP3) download is going to pay much rent, also if there is transcription involved, that's a lot of hours. Also, also printing it out costs whomever is going to do it money. Also, also, I don't think a professional conductor is going to appreciate a score that some kid on the Internet did for free.

Ron Wasserman
F2009, user since 2000
Desktop: Intel Dual Core @ 2.2 GHz 2814MB ram, Vista Home
Keyboard midi to edirol to usb
Laptop: Celeron, 480 mb ram, XP home keyboard direct to usb. (not enough memory for 2009)
TG Tools full version

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

"Music: incredibly easy to understand on a basic level, but profoundly difficult to speak with any fluency."
Ron Wasserman

Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000

Posted 2/14/2010 9:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I listened to the Mp3 file. Very beautiful and moving.

I might be interested in the project. I feel very comfortable with creating publisher-quality scores, but I've never had any experience transcribing from a mdid file. I think that to do it correctly, one would have to start with a unpolished interpretation of the score and have Mr. Bacos look that over for errors and then polish up the engraving, articulations, dynamics and such and have it looked at again. And then some final proofreading. The score would have to go back and forth a few times.

David

David Young

Finale 2.4 to Finale 2010.  Logic Pro 8, Digital Performer, Loaded MAC Tower, two screens, a whole bag of sample libraries including Full GPO, some VSL, True Strike 1 and 2, and now Xsample Chamber Instruments and I have a long ways to go to understand how us all of this.... but quite familiar with Finale!

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Guy BacosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/14/2010 9:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi David,

Thanks for your interest.

All the midi file is, it's a printed rough pdf score with logic. So it's still visual.

Do you think you could send me a score you've done to [email protected]

There are other benefits but they are on the longer term after I can licensed the piece for film music, I could then compensate
the people who helped me. But of course this is based on hope and trust. It depends how comfortable you are with that.

Guy

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/14/2010 9:17 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You would take the midi file and import it to sib.

Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2000

Posted 2/15/2010 12:46 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Guy Bacos said...
You would take the midi file and import it to sib.
  Well, we would import the midi file to Finale, actually.

David Young

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/15/2010 12:50 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
right sorry.

Jeremy Levy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeremy Levy's website.Send a Private Message to Jeremy LevyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 811

Posted 2/15/2010 2:19 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're looking to hire an orchestrator. Taking a score from Logic to final notation is a time consuming process. It's not just a straight copy job. I suggest you hire someone that does this full time if you want it done right. It will probably cost a couple grand, though.

Jeremy Levy
Trombonist, Orchestrator, Composer/Arranger, Copyist
Glendale, CA
www.jlevymusic.com
Finale 2007, 2008, 2009

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/15/2010 2:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not at all Jeremy, not sure why you bring this up, I took care of the entire orchestration. There will constant communication throughout the process, I'm also aware of the process and what it involves, and revisions will be done by myself and friends of mine which includes, professional musicians and conductors.
I have several competent people who responded. So everything is fine :)

Jeremy Levy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeremy Levy's website.Send a Private Message to Jeremy LevyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 811

Posted 2/15/2010 4:20 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As soon as you're asking someone to add articulations and require some actual knowledge of orchestral writing, you're moving way past the line of a copyist. I'm sorry, but doing the orchestration in Logic is not the same as the final orchestration that will go on the stand. You're asking someone to be able to interpret your Logic score by ear and add dynamics, artics, bowings, and all the other performance aspects of a professional score. That is well into the realm of orchestration. At least it is in LA.

Maybe I don't quite understand your needs. Are you wanting students to just do the grunt work of the midi cleanup and import, and then finish it off yourself or with one of your friends? I'm sure competent people responded, I just don't like seeing paid work being done for free. You might be better off going on Film Music Network and hiring a cheap intern to help.

Jeremy Levy
Trombonist, Orchestrator, Composer/Arranger, Copyist
Glendale, CA
www.jlevymusic.com
Finale 2007, 2008, 2009

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/15/2010 8:55 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Jeremy,

All my life I've come by people with your kind of attitude, and always managed to overcome it with a bit of imagination and help from my friends. First of all you don't seem to know the difference between orchestration and editing. I'll be doing most of that anyway and as I said a few revisions by others. The copyist will do nothing else than what I indicate him to do, but this will be through constant communication and countless revisions, once the the notes are there I will refine many things including all the articulations and what's beyond my knowledge I will have friends revise it.

Also, why don't you ask questions before jumping to conclusions?

Some people don't mind doing favors and I will do everything possible to compensate then later on, it's a question of trust, I have a good reputation and I'm not going to jeopardize that. What you don't see or understand, you should just cool it!

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 2/15/2010 5:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, here is a question first?

Are you really asking professional musicians to do this work for you for no payment other than the promise that they might get remunerated in the future for an unspecified sum if the music is picked up and you are paid for the composing?

Call me jaded or even naive, but am I missing something? Guy, what don't I understand?

Also, a question to David or the other people who might be considering this: Why would you be willing to do all this grunt work for free? Is it really because you like the music? That might be enough I suppose.

The only other valid answers I can think of would be if there was future paid work to be gotten out of it. "Trust me" and "Hope" is to me not enough of a guarantee that this will occur though. Also, perhaps to develop your transcription skills?

There is certainly limited artistic glory in being the copyist, (as opposed to orchestrator, arranger, or composer) even if the music does get recorded sometime in the future.

Also, be careful before you dis Jeremy. He's one of the most talented composers/arrangers on this forum, and obviously I share his incredulity. Don't get me too wrong. In the past I have hired Juilliard students to do musical activities that I wasn't able to hire pros for, but at least I did pay them Juilliard student wages. (Not much I sheepishly admit. about $400 apiece plus transportation and meals for a couple of rehearsals and an all day recording session. )

Ron Wasserman
F2009, user since 2000
Desktop: Intel Dual Core @ 2.2 GHz 2814MB ram, Vista Home
Keyboard midi to edirol to usb
Laptop: Celeron, 480 mb ram, XP home keyboard direct to usb. (not enough memory for 2009)
TG Tools full version

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

"Music: incredibly easy to understand on a basic level, but profoundly difficult to speak with any fluency."
Ron Wasserman

Post Edited (Ron Wasserman) : 2/15/2010 3:55:41 PM (GMT-6)

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/15/2010 6:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm very comfortable with my proposition, if anybody feels I'm taking advantage of them, please don't email me. People tend to be very suspicious! Wow!! I have always done things how I thought would work best and it always has, for me and the other people involved. Would you like references??? Sometimes I work with trade offs, too bad if you have a problem with that! I have an excellent track record, the people interested will learn more about me, and ask anything they want. I have no time to waste with trouble makers. Furthermore if people like your dear friend Jeremy is disrespectful to me I will be the same with him. I hope other people on this forum have more respect and class then the you two. What a disappointment this has been here with the exception of David Young, who I'm glad has enough character to first enquire more about the project before jumping to conclusions and not let himself be brainwashed. If I work with David, I want him to write right here his experience with me. I have my own career which is going very well, thank you very much, so don't try to impress me with your fabulous talented composer friend. You do things YOUR way and I'll do things MY way. Hope this is the END of this!

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 2/15/2010 8:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very nice piece, Guy.

Finale 2008b • MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz • OS10.4.11 • 4GB Ram

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 2/15/2010 10:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sorry, Mr. Bacos, but I have to vote with Ron and Jeremy. From my point of view, it would be equally valid for me to say, "Hey, I'm a great notator. Could one of you composer folk put some notes together for me to get on paper?"

Is your talent so much more valuable than mine?

So no, I won't be responding to you, either. But if you post on a public forum, you can't very well prevent people from drawing their own conclusions, and commenting on them.

You need not reply to this, of course.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/15/2010 10:57 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Migman, thanks man! :)

Cheers!

Guy

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/15/2010 11:01 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And also thanks David for your nice words regarding Rhapsody :)

Talk to you on pm :)

jamwerks
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jamwerksAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 52

Posted 2/17/2010 7:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm a bit surprised by the proposal of Bacos. Specifically because he is a professional, writes nice stuff, is a master with mock ups (very active at VSL), etc. There are so many people working with Finale and Sib. these days that the "benefits" proposed by Bacos (in my opinion) probably won't lead to any payed work.

There is a big difference between paying a little, and not paying at all, and that says a lot about the man behind the proposal.

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/17/2010 7:29 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And I also steal from the blind! eyes

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/17/2010 7:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know, I don't think many of you guys have the right attitude, not with you opinion but the way you come down on me. I came here looking for help because I needed it and I had no other options at the present time. In this business you don't survive alone, and it may come to a point when some of the guys here who has been so disrespectful to me will need some help, find themselves in a circumstance where cross paths, I certainly won't forget these names, as much as I will never forget the people who helped me move ahead, and I don't mean a hand shake, I mean financially.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 2/17/2010 10:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Guy Bacos said...
You know, I don't think many of you guys have the right attitude, not with you opinion but the way you come down on me. I came here looking for help because I needed it and I had no other options at the present time. In this business you don't survive alone, and it may come to a point when some of the guys here who has been so disrespectful to me will need some help, find themselves in a circumstance where cross paths, I certainly won't forget these names, as much as I will never forget the people who helped me move ahead, and I don't mean a hand shake, I mean financially.

I've tried staying out of this discussion, but couldn't help responding to this final post.

Guy, remember that the business is a two-way street.

Up until this moment, my own response to your posts was pretty ambivalent. Yes, you were basically asking for a donation of time from a professional engraver. I figure if anyone wants to do it, they are free to do so. At the same time, sure, your music is actually quite pretty. So I could understand someone wanting to help out of sheer interest in the music itself (I just finished engraving a piano quartet by a very famous Canadian composer, for no pay, and without having been asked, which will be deposited at the Canadian Music Center. Simply because I LOVED the music itself and it had as yet never been engraved properly).

However, when you start insinuating financial repercussions against those who disagreed with you on the forum, you sort of take a step outside the bounds of acceptable behaviour.

As I said, remember that this whole business is a two-way street. And there are other music professionals who are reading your words here. More than likely, there are other music professionals from the same city, province, state, etc.. as you.

I have to say that if your name came across my desk now, after reading your posts here, I might be reticent to get involved professionally with you. I'm not saying I wouldn't, but there might be some doubt. Others, however, might not be as forgiving. The internet is a traitorous mistress.

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher, music administrator

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2010
currently installed: 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009, 2010
GPO 4, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Garritan Concert and Marching Band
Garritan Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Xsamples chamber Ensemble
Win XP

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/17/2010 10:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have been expressing my opinions vehemently ever since I've been on these forums, and I'm not about to stop because I just say my opinion. Why should I be hypocritical when I'm being attacked, just read the kind of idiotic things that was said. This kind ofxxxx is not new to me and has NEVER been in my way, the world does not start and end in this forum. On the other forums such as VSL, Control V.I and Northern, why don't you check out these forums where I hang out, and see what kind of reputation I have, not as a composer but as an honest worker and decent person. The people I am in contact with are from all over the word, do you honestly think they givexxxx about a little soap crisis on a forum?? And I don't givexxxx about you since you know nothing about me. 2nd of all, just who do you think you are making it look like its a grand privilege to work with you? What did you do that is so famous? When you will be John Williams you could say that, until then you mean nothing to me. So keep enjoying your little forum here with you pals and coments. And yes, it's a two way street, and your street I don't want to walk on....

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 2/17/2010 11:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Il est triste, M. Bacos, de se fermer des portes professionels par entêtement.
Mais vous scellez vous-mêmes votre sort avec vos agissements et votre attitude déplorable.

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher, music administrator

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2010
currently installed: 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009, 2010
GPO 4, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Garritan Concert and Marching Band
Garritan Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Xsamples chamber Ensemble
Win XP

Guy Bacos
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/17/2010 11:32 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vous me faites bien rire Mr Edward. Je pourrais vous énumérez les choses dans lesquelles je suis impliquées ces jours ci et ça ferait l'envie de bien du monde...

Ne vous en faites pas pour moi Mr Edward.