Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Changing measure numbering regions in one go  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
40 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 3/24/2015 4:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Motet,

That can be done.  idea I had already thought that would be a better way to do it, but have not implemented it yet.  Are you suggesting the script get the actual measure number as opposed to the defined measure number, even if defined measure numbers are selected?  What actually is the difference?

To everyone interested,

I have finally completed my script.  Whew!  It has been a chore.  Notice the name change.  I have tested every conceivable scenario that I could think of, until I am "blue in the face".  I know from my work as a professional programmer that it is all but impossible to design for every contingency.  Sometimes, you can't see the forest for the trees.  Please give the attached JW Lua script a thorough bashing and try to uncover any anomalous behavior.  Any feedback, such as Motet's suggestion above, will be welcomed.  If you have used the Manager in the JW Lua plug-in to add the script to the menu, please remove any old versions and add this latest version 2.0.  Old versions should be deleted.

Thank you for your patience.  Enjoy!

I thought I would go ahead and release this 2.0 version now and add Motet's suggestion to a later version 2.1 to come out soon.

PS: script file version 2.0 deleted.  It has been replaced with version 2.1.  See below

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 3/25/2015 10:12:40 AM (GMT-5)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 3/24/2015 4:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks like the latest inserts the measures--thanks.

I was suggesting that, rather than type in the measure number of the insertion point, the user make the selection before running the script. For inserting, you'd still have to say how many measures to insert, but for deleting, the selection defines everything. This is analogous to the way the rest of the Finale UI and most plug-ins work. Likely there's a call available to JW Lua to get the current selection.

"Defined" measure numbers have a region number and a measure number within the region, for example 7:91 would be measure 91 in region 7. The actual measure number might be something like 802. Not a big deal, but the distinction wouldn't even be necessary with the above "selection" suggestion.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 3/24/2015 5:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hasten to add, though, that it's great already. Thanks so much.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 3/25/2015 6:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Brilliant, Charles! I just used it after deleting measures in a score. I did have to do the deletions first by hand and then run the script. I didn't try inserting measures. Just wondering, why does the script insert measures but not delete them? BTW, I didn't have any deletions over more than one measure numbering group. As Motet mentioned, it would indeed be handy if the script could determine which measures were selected for deletion but it's no big deal to remember how many measures need deleting and to input the measure number after the deletion point. I always have Display Actual Measure Numbers selected. Anyway, even with these steps, the script worked perfectly and was much easier than having to edit all the measure numbering groups or delete them all and have to create them anew. Thank you!

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.2
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 3/25/2015 6:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
P.S. I just tried inserting measures and the script does it perfectly, including changing the measure numbering regions afterwards and not affecting anything else (unless the option to respace is selected). I still can't get it to delete measures, though.

Vaughan

MacOS 10.10.2

Amsterdam

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 3/25/2015 7:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Vaughan,

It is puzzling that the script does not delete measures for you.  Of course, in my exhaustive testing of every scenario I could think of, both insert and delete worked OK.  I am on Windows, so maybe it is a Mac thing.  I do not have a Mac to test on, so I will bounce that off Jari and see.

BTW:  I have finished implementing the select range interface, but still have a problem in the script if there are no measure number regions in the document.  Hope to have that worked out soon.

Could you supply a test document where delete does not work for you?  Thanks.

PS:  There is a DEGUG flag in the code that prints out some information in the JW Lua plug-in so I could see what was happening.  You may not want to see these messages.  I forgot to turn the flag off when I released the scriptopen the script and set the flag DEBUG = false if you prefer.  These messages will not show if you run the script from the menu.

PPS:  I don't think it matters to JW Lua whether the measures are displayed in actual or defined numbers.  It always works in actual numbers, AFAIK.  When I looked at this in my test document, not all the measures showed in defined numbers (R:M) when that option was chosen.  Strange?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

512 GB SSD

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 3/25/2015 8:05:07 AM (GMT-5)

Vaughan
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 3/25/2015 8:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Charles,
Thanks for your response. I just tried it on a random file (I made sure all was correctly filled in and that there was a measure numbering region) and got the following message. Does this help?

Running [InsertDeleteMeasures] ======>
spanStart 7 spanEnd 8 opCount 2
Before Delete Measure Number Regions Count 1
Before Delete Number of measures 46
After Delete Number of measures 44
[string "function plugindef()
..."]:218: attempt to call global 'eachbackwards' (a nil value)
<======= [InsertDeleteMeasures] FAILED.

Vaughan

MacOS 10.10.2

Amsterdam

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 3/25/2015 8:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, Vaughan, that helps a lot.  That means you need to download the latest JW Lua plug-in beta 0.31.  You are using an earlier version that does not implement the "eachbackwards" iterator.  I am sorry I forgot to mention that when I released the script.  Anyone trying to use this script needs beta 0.31 installed.  Oops!

BTW, if you look at the very top of the script, you will see a reference to the minimum version level the script requires.  Too bad, JW Lua will not alert you to this.  Maybe in a future release from Jari.

Please do try to break the script.  I have included some checks on the user input values.

512 GB SSD

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

Vaughan
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 3/25/2015 9:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Success! What a timesaver this script is! I'm eternally grateful (or grateful as long as I'm using Finale). This should really be made known to all users; I can imagine that a lot of people working on large scores would find this indispensable. I'll put it through the wringer as often as I can and report back! Thanks again, Charles.

Vaughan

MacOS 10.10.2

Amsterdam

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 3/25/2015 10:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Vaughan, et al.,

Please find attached my script version 2.1.  It implements the selected range interface suggested by Motet, and fixes every problem I have encountered in debugging.

Enjoy!

Please delete all previous versions of this script.  If you set version 2.0 to run from the menu, you should not have to do that again, as 2.1 has the same name.

Version 2.1 superseded by version 2.2, which correctly checks for the required minimum JW Lua version.  No other changes were made.

512 GB SSD

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 3/27/2015 6:25:19 PM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
InsertDeleteMeasures.lua   11KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 354 time(s).

Ralph L. Bowers Jr.
Polymathist

Click to send Ralph L. Bowers Jr. email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ralph L. Bowers Jr.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 883

Posted 3/25/2015 10:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you going to post this on the "Plugin Development" ?

Thank you Charles.....this needs a wider audience.

Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d TGTools Pro, Patterson plugins, JW plugins (current)
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, Write Score Sound Sets, Bob Zawalich plugins, Dolet 6.4
Print Music 2004, 2010a, 2011a, 2014a
Progression, Progression 2, Notion 4, [Notion 5, (bought but not installed)]
Pro Tools 9.5, Reaper
Kontakt 5
GPO4, World Instruments
Smart Score Pro X , PhotoScore Ultimate 6 & 7 ( 7 has some utility----best of those available)
M-Audio "Oxygen 25" Midi input keyboard (recent addition 2014)
Systems (4) // Windows XP Pro, [email protected] Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, 4GB - 16GB RAM
Paper & Pencil

BMus, MM (Musicology)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 3/25/2015 11:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence said...

PPS: I don't think it matters to JW Lua whether the measures are displayed in actual or defined numbers. It always works in actual numbers, AFAIK. When I looked at this in my test document, not all the measures showed in defined numbers (R:M) when that option was chosen. Strange?

Apparently if the defined measure number exists in only one region (e.g., at the end of longest region), then Finale drops the R: from the display. Strange, indeed--I don't like it.

I tried the latest using a selection and it worked fine. I didn't have to switch options to find out what the actual measure number is. Thanks, again--I will make use of this.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Vaughan
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 3/26/2015 4:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you, Charles. Inserting and deleting measures in a file with numerous measure numbering regions is now easy and quick and, AFAICS, problem-free.

Vaughan

MacOS 10.10.2

Amsterdam

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 3/26/2015 8:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Vaughan et al.,

I'm glad you and others find it useful.  It took a while to get it all worked out, but it was worth it.  There still may be problems, but for most work, it will do the job.  If you do run up on anything problematic in your work, let me know.

Thanks, and enjoy!

512 GB SSD

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted 10/1/2015 9:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles,

Thank you so much for writing this fantastically useful script. I just tried for the first time and it is really great!

One small thing though. In the DB where I choose Add or Delete measures, I get kanji signs instead of letters. Maybe this has to do with my localization settings (Sweden)?

Finale 2014d, Win 10, Korg M1, Oxygen 25