The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=12&m=356672
Posted By : David Bolton - 1/10/2012 7:26 PM
The script below works in Finale 2011 but does not work on Finale 2012. Attached is a file that contains an example ligature for the "fi" in "fire" (stanza 2, fifth syllable) so that others can run the script and reproduce the problem.

This problem is present in 2012 and 2012a.


FINALEscript:

//Ligatures are converted to regular characters

search "X" [Times NR Expert MT] replace with "fl" [Times New Roman] //fi 
search "W" [Times NR Expert MT] replace with "fi" [Times New Roman] //fl

//End of script



I initially sent this report to Finale support, but they said they do not offer support for Finalescript. Which is a little worrying since I sent this as a bug report for Finale, not as a request for help writing scripts. All that aside, has anyone encountered this themselves, or know of a workaround? I suspect this has something to do with Finale 2012's long awaited switch to Unicode.

Posted By : gogreen - 1/11/2012 4:52 PM
I'm in F2011b, but I've found that changing scripts a bit can make them work. Try your script first with brackets removed. If that doesn't work, try it with the quote marks removed. Then try it with quote marks and no brackets, and then no quote marks with brackets.


Arthur J. Michaels

www.arthurjmichaels.com

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2 (using 2011b.r2)
Garritan CoMB
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio Keystation 88es
Logitech Z-2300 speaker system
Brother HL-5150D printer
AKG K-240 Studio headphones


Posted By : Saffron - 1/11/2012 9:27 PM
OMG Finale is SO shouting for a rigourously defined scripting language - one based on the parsers and syntax/semantics of a properly thought out, high level "natural language" scripting tool. FinaleScript is just so horribly ad-hoc and unpredictable.

Since 2005, I've been thinking about spending 3 months getting DEEPLY into the PDK, and porting a high-level scripting language, based on my Prolog compiler, into a Finale plug-in. But always, other projects have come along and taken my attentions elsewhere.

Maybe 2012 should be the year I finally grasp this nettle ...

Brian



Posted By : gogreen - 1/12/2012 12:42 AM
One other thing. You might also have to experiment with making "Times NR" and "Times New Roman" consistent. Try interchanging them. I'm guessing that Finale doesn't understand "NR."


Arthur J. Michaels

www.arthurjmichaels.com

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2 (using 2011b.r2)
Garritan CoMB
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio Keystation 88es
Logitech Z-2300 speaker system
Brother HL-5150D printer
AKG K-240 Studio headphones


Posted By : David Bolton - 1/17/2012 6:29 PM
I was able to update the script to work in Finale 2012:

//Ligatures are converted to regular characters

search "<61527>" [Times NR Expert MT] replace with "fi" [Times New Roman]
search "<61528>" [Times NR Expert MT] replace with "fl" [Times New Roman]

//End of script


I suspect the change is necessary due to the new Unicode support in Finale 2012. Unfortunately the Unicode support in the Finalescript editor window seems to be different from the Unicode support for lyrics in the score. (By different I mean buggy :)

Description of problem: When I copy the "fi" character from the lyrics into the Finalescript editor window it appears as a square (which is fine), but after you save and close and edit the Finalescript a second time the character has changed to a "W". The W still worked for search and replace in Finale 2011, but does not work in Finale 2012.

Solution/Workaround: Replacing the character with a numerical reference works around the issues described above. It was a little tricky to find the numerical reference for the character. The method I used was to copy the "fi" character from the lyrics and paste it into the search box of Firefox. Firefox helpfully displays the hexidecimal number ("F057") inside the square box. From there it is just a matter of converting the hexidecimal code to the decimal equivalent. The following page has instructions for this last step: www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/unicode.html#num


David Bolton

Post Edited (David Bolton) : 1/17/2012 4:39:52 PM (GMT-6)


Posted By : weeksc - 2/6/2012 10:25 AM
I have also found that FS gets confused rather easily depending on which tool is currently selected when you run the script. I always make sure that the Selection Tool is active, and this works most of the time.


--Clancy
Finale 2008b
Intel 2.3 GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, GeForce GT 440 video card
Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum sound card
___________________________
 
I never claimed to know everything... I'm just right about the things I know!