The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=385568
Posted By : Edward Windels - 12/9/2012 2:57 PM
My nearly six year old HP Pavilion desktop is winding down. I would be grateful for opinions and recommendations from the Forum. No, I am not going to migrate to Apple: I use one at the Day Job and it drives me bananas.

My prime consideration is SPEED. Plus lots of USB ports. Plus the ability to burn or create CDs/DVDs: I do not believe we are past the stage yet where that can't be a consideration.

Right now I've got most of my listening music stored on one external hard drive, and all other files are either stored or backed up to a second external hard drive. I keep only those music projects on the actual PC that I'm currently working on: everything else goes on to the external drive.

Thanks in advance!

Posted By : Zuill - 12/9/2012 3:30 PM
Build your own. I have done that with every system for the las 10 years. I buy the parts my son tells me to buy, and he puts it togfether.

What I am saying is: you buy a package deal and you get what they want you to get, and the software usually has a lot of bloat, and many things missing that you end up adding after purchase. Instead, find a local tech who will build what you want and you will get everythging you need. There's a computer guy on every corner.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Posted By : Ron. - 12/9/2012 3:44 PM
I just bought a new Pavillion and I'm thrilled. HPE. 64 bit 8-core; 10GB RAM. The onboard soundcard is handling full orchestra Garritan and Finale with no problems.

Finale 2012c with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM

Posted By : gogreen - 12/10/2012 12:26 PM
I second Zuill's suggestion, sort of.

I've had a local guy build a total of four computers for me and my son over the last, say, 20 years. We sit down with him, tell him what we want, and he makes suggestions for components. Find someone like that through recommendations of others.

Arthur J. Michaels

www.arthurjmichaels.com

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2 (currently using 2011b.r2)
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
Sonar X2 Essential
Garritan COMB2, Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, Aria Player 1.504, Audacity 2.0.1
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio WK-3000
Logitech Z-2300 speaker system
Brother HL-5150D printer
AKG K-240 Studio headphones

Posted By : Zuill - 12/10/2012 1:10 PM
One advantage to having a personal tech build your system is that it gives you more assurance that if anything goes wrong, you will get personal attention instead of a "techie" in a far away location.

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes

Posted By : Ron. - 12/10/2012 2:12 PM
Zuill said...
One advantage to having a personal tech build your system is that it gives you more assurance that if anything goes wrong, you will get personal attention instead of a "techie" in a far away location.

Zuill

...except when I tried that, every component died before its time and the personal tech wanted more money than the parts were worth to replace them. My bad luck, I guess.

Finale 2012c with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM

Posted By : Zuill - 12/10/2012 2:48 PM
I know there are situations where people have been burned, so it is not necessarily the way to go for everyone. But, unless you know how to assemble the kit yourself, and if you want to make sure the "package" has all you need and not things you don't need, it can make for a clean and lean music machine. I have purchased Dell and e-Machines systems before, and they also served me well.

Zuill

P.S.: Fortunately my tech guy (my son) lives nearby, and if I need to take my machine in for repair, it gives me a chance to play with my grandson. Since I did help to finance his (my son's) education, he comes at a fair price.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/10/2012 1:51:48 PM (GMT-6)

Posted By : Simon Furey - 12/10/2012 3:02 PM
I've done both. As I write I am using a PC I built myself, but I also have a PC (I live in two countries) that I bought (a Compaq). I would say ideally, build it yourself, but it is more expensive up front than a commercial "basic package" from the likes of HP. Downstream it's cheaper because you change out/upgrade only the bits you need to. If you do go for a commercial package, do make sure that there is space and cabling inside for a second hard drive. Many PCs have been cheapened to make it damn near impossible to add an extra internal drive without a fair amount of metal bashing, and they have minimal spec power supplies. Why the extra internal drive? To make it easier to migrate from your old system to the new one. Hope this helps.

Finale 2012/Windows 7 Pro

Posted By : Zuill - 12/10/2012 3:08 PM
Also, it used to be that companies like Dell would only allow RAM upgrades with their proprietary RAM sticks--no third party sticks would work. This is no longer the case, I believe. But you do want to make sure that a pre-designed system does have the needed upgrade ability.

Software, of course, is another thing altogether. The entry level programs are generally not what you would want, and some packages are loaded with things you don't want. If you need the Office suite, or other such things, most packages don't give the full thing. But what you do get is cheaper than buying it separately. It all depends on what you need.

Zuill

Posted By : Mircea - 12/11/2012 4:48 AM
I've only bought 2 prebuild computers in my life (back in the 90's) Since then I build them myself.
The one major advance of buying a Dell or other prebuild configuration is that in general it has very quiet cooling. To get the same quiet self-made PC you need to research and spend a little bit more on the correct fans and coolers. Also the starting price is usually lower (but you also get underpowered components) and lots of software you need to get rid off.

Self-made PC usually start at a slightly higher price (no option of buying bulk components) but with careful research an knowing your needs you can get a fair price for a future proof PC. Upgrading components only as needs appear and nothing else extends the life of the early spent cash.

The PC I'm using now was started in 2004. Granted I only have the custom case and WD-Raptor2 HDD from the original configuration. But I resold some of those components to others that needed upgrades for their PC's (HDD's, CPU/MOB/RAM, PSU, GPU,) and bought whatever I needed at the time, or replaced a failure (only 1 HDD and 1 GPU failed me in this time).

„E tot ce va spun!”

Finale 2012
Win8 64Bit, Phenom II x4 965, 4GB RAM, Asus Xonar Xense Audio card, etc - a good powerful PC.

Posted By : Benjamin Tubb - 12/11/2012 4:45 PM
Although I bought my HP just recently, I'm having various crashes with it, and still troubleshooting. It was bought because my P4 Win XP Pro system "died" for good after about 10 years (and two hard drive crashes). This PC was bought [i.e. Leased to Own after 12 months, from Aaron's] out of convenience and budget restrictions, intending to be my backup system while I saved for my primary system, which from ALL that I've read and reviewed, is the best source available, namely DigitalStorm.com, although it'll take quite a while for me to save for what I want. Otherwise, my old PC source [and certainly worth considering] was CyberPowerPC.com. You can also see their tech videos on YouTube.com.

Benjamin Robert Tubb, Finale Engraver
F2K12c, 1.9 GHz HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook dv7-7121nr;
Windows 7 Home Premium with 16 GB RAM
Owner of Public Domain Music
Editor and Compiler of
Henry Clay Work: Complete Songs and Choruses (2002)
Arthur Clifton (aka Philip Antony Corri): Selected American Songs (2009)
All are published by Kallisti Music Press.