The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=479988
Posted By : [email protected] - 7/4/2016 11:13 AM
If I create a piece in Finale (2014.5) and manually reposition a barline, Finale moves it back to where *it* thinks it should be when printing (and leaves it there after the print has finished - effectively "undoing" my manual positioning). It does this every time - no matter many times I try, or how far I move it. Thinking it might be a Preferences setting, I unchecked "Automatic Update Layout" and "Automatic Music Spacing", but this made no difference. I also changed "Music Spacing/Manual Positioning" to "Incorporate", but this didn't help either.

It looks wrong (IMO) to have 2 multimeasure rest regions next to each other, both with the same width (Finale's choice) despite one being 16 bars and the other only 3. I would like these to appear proportionally spaced - have I missed a setting somewhere, or is this a bug?

Desktop PC: Windows XP SP3, 4GB [3GB], Finale 2012c, Finale 2014c, Cubase SX3; iMac: 32GB, Finale 2014c, Logic Pro X; Laptop: Windows 8.1, 8GB, Finale 2014c

Posted By : Zuill - 7/4/2016 11:29 AM
You might want to turn off the automatic updating of MM rests.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 7/4/2016 10:32:37 AM (GMT-5)

Posted By : Gareth Green - 7/4/2016 11:57 AM
[email protected] said...

It looks wrong (IMO) to have 2 multimeasure rest regions next to each other, both with the same width (Finale's choice) despite one being 16 bars and the other only 3. I would like these to appear proportionally spaced - have I missed a setting somewhere, or is this a bug?

In addition to Zuill's suggestion, there is also a JW Plug-in that will do what you want; in fact the plug-in will turn-off automatic updating of MM rests as part of its process.

Gareth J. Green

Fin2014c
Windows 7

Posted By : Charles Lawrence - 7/4/2016 12:00 PM

Also, check out JW's Space Empty Rests plug-in.  You can size empty rests proportionally.  It can also do what Zuill suggests automatically.

I see Gareth got in before I finished.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Posted By : [email protected] - 7/4/2016 1:42 PM
Turning off automatic update of MM rests did the trick (not sure how I missed that one - though I was thinking it was a barline issue rather than a MM rest one).

IMO Finale shouldn't update/change anything during a Print operation as it basically renders WYSIWYG redundant if - having set everything up the way you want - the program changes the layout of things so that what appears on paper differs to what was on screen. At the very least it should put things back to the way they were once it's finished.

Many thanks for the swift replies - I will check out the JW plugin in future as this looks like the ideal tool for what I want to achieve.

Desktop PC: Windows 7, 4GB, Finale 2014.5, Cubase SX3; iMac: 32GB, Finale 2014.5, Logic Pro X; Laptop: Windows 8.1, 8GB, Finale 2014.5