The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=194404
Posted By : David Young : chambermusic - 7/5/2007 1:01 PM
Musician friends!

Perhaps most of you have noticed it, but I have started a rather comprehensive list of new feature requests that I have collected over the past few years.  It is present on the Windows side of the forum.  Please take a look, add comments, give your opinion on new feature requests.  Please read the post titled "new feature requests, introduction" first.  There are an additional 17 posts among the newest 100 posts covering 119 or more new feature requests.

Some of these requests appear to have been implimented into Finale 2008 and we should be able to sort that out over the next 3 weeks.

I hope to have a comprehensive list by the end of July, that I can write up and send to MakeMusic.  I can only do this with your help.

And feel free to add additional new feature requests on to the "introduction" post.

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2007c
Laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, windows XP home, Gigastudio 3.03, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives

Also... GPO, Gigastudio 3.0, KH solo strings, VSL horizon solo strings, JABB, PMI pianos, Sampletekk renaissance flutes, Giovani, complete Kirk Hunter orchestral library, with very limited knowledge of how to use them.

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

Posted By : poco a poco - 10/15/2007 2:17 PM
I really wish they could make the size of the palettes smaller, or at least customizable. I never changed to any of the other styles that are available (I use traditional) because they take up way too much space. Sure the "Globe" looks nice but the buttons are just too fat!
And I don´t like the windows-version way of arranging the palettes either.

What do you use?

Finale 2004c Powerbook 1.25 Ghz 1.25 GB Apple cinema display 20"
Digi002
Logic PRO 7.2.3
ProTools LE 7.3.1
NI Kontakt
EastWest Symphonic lib. Gold XP PRO

Posted By : Ebony Ivory - 10/15/2007 8:00 PM
poco a poco said...
I really wish they could make the size of the palettes smaller, or at least customizable. I never changed to any of the other styles that are available (I use traditional) because they take up way too much space. Sure the "Globe" looks nice but the buttons are just too fat!
And I don´t like the windows-version way of arranging the palettes either.

What do you use?

Just stick with "Traditional", or get yourself a very high res graphics card/monitor - or both!

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long

Posted By : kaumann - 10/16/2007 5:08 AM
A new feature for Finale 2009... intriguing.

******* how about "FIXING BUGS"

This is a new feature that has been proposed for years but not yet implemented.

hardware: MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 7200rpm 100GB HD, M-Audio Firewire Audiophile & O2
software: Finale, TGTools, Motu Symphonic Instrument + Ethno Instrument & Digital Performer, Melodyne cre8, RaySpace, Plogue Bidule, QuicKeys, Kontakt

Posted By : Ebony Ivory - 10/16/2007 5:23 AM
kaumann said...
A new feature for Finale 2009... intriguing.

******* how about "FIXING BUGS"

This is a new feature that has been proposed for years but not yet implemented.

Trouble is, this feature would really piss people whose long-time workflow would be severely disrupted by no longer needing to include numerous workarounds.

And then there's the business of needing extra keystrokes or tool changes. I mean, if deleting a note no longer removed a clef change, you'd actually have to switch from Speedy Entry to the Clef Tool in order to achieve this effect.

Like any new feature, we should urge MM to think very carefully before FIXING BUGS is attempted. Apart from anything else, who'd want to download updates if the software actually worked?

Brian

Posted By : poco a poco - 10/16/2007 4:36 PM
Somebody said...
get yourself a very high res graphics card/monitor - or both!

Hope I won´t get that reply from makemusic support freaked Buy a Apple 30" display and stop being a whuzz!

Finale 2004c Powerbook 1.25 Ghz 1.25 GB Apple cinema display 20"
Digi002
Logic PRO 7.2.3
ProTools LE 7.3.1
NI Kontakt
EastWest Symphonic lib. Gold XP PRO

Posted By : AngelRho - 10/18/2007 9:41 AM
Stop me if this has already been done, cuz I'd like to have something like this:

I know DAW's are configurable with a lot of different controller hardware, even to the point that special (QWERTY) keyboards have been designed to let the user know what keys to press for one function or another.

So here's what I'd like to see--a control surface designed specifically for Finale.  Truth is, I kinda miss the old "Mass Edit" tool that's been replaced by the selection tool in the name of streamlining Finale's operation.  However, I would hope that this is the last of Finale's alteration of its UI.

At a minimum, the control surface should have keys/buttons that look almost exactly like the traditional main toolbar, simple entry toolbar, and another toolbar just for speedy entry.  You might also want the same for special tools and smartshapes.  Each button would have an LED that lights up when its respective tool is active.  I don't know about anybody else out there, but I prefer to keep my mouse clicks on the staff, not back-and-forth on toolbars (I know you can move them, but it's still needlessly tedious). 

They should also make a slightly more expensive model that has a mic preamp built-in for the mic notator.  The few times I've used it on my built-in mic, it's worked OK, BUT I think it could be better. 

Connectivity:  It would support both USB and LPT (for those older computers, har har).

Finale also seems to be scaling back improvements to the actual notation side of their product--seriously, just how far CAN you go with a notation app?  By importing graphics, Finale can recreate John Cage-like graphical scores.  Better fonts, obviously, or just something different than Maestro and Engraver.  How about include support for a wider range of NI products?  I don't know how I did it, but I managed to load FM7 into Finale '08.  Some of us may want to create our own samples...how about including a full version of Kontakt (not just the player)? 

Just some thoughts! 

Posted By : geolos - 10/20/2007 8:55 PM
I would like to have the "choo-choo train icon, the mass edit tool, come back. Or does someone know how I can get it back? I'm using 2008. Thanks, George

Posted By : Peter Thomsen - 10/21/2007 5:41 AM
You can't get the "choo-choo train" icon back, since the "choo-choot rain" is the icon for the Mass Edit Tool, and there is no separate Mass Edit Tool in Finale 2008.
(the Mass Edit Tool has been included in the Selection Tool)

Peter

Mac Finale 2006d, 2007c & 2008, Dolet 3.5 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.4.10, iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Posted By : acciuga - 10/21/2007 5:22 PM
geolos said...
I would like to have the "choo-choo train icon, the mass edit tool, come back.

Trains are so "last century". We should shoot for a Commuter Rocket icon.

-Rick Giovinazzo
Mac-Dual 2.5 GHz PPC G5; 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM; OSX 10.4.10

Posted By : Bart Visser - 10/22/2007 10:43 AM
Hi,

A few features I would like:
1. Improved Lyrics and/or Textblock edits. You should (for example) be able to assign a lyric to a textblock, so you can display lyrics in text-blocks. Also the textblock-editor (and maybe the lyrics editor) should look like a very simple text editor with bold/italic/etc., font chooser, alignment/spacing, etc, all from a toolbar within the edit-window.

2. Improved file-format with metadata support. You should be able to find a file using Spotlight or Vista-search (I'm not sure how Vista works, but probably also with metadata), based on key, time, title, composer, etc. Not sure how this al works, maybe it's just a plug-in for Spotlight/Vista, but it would be very helpful.

3. Improved Finalescript. Assign hotkeys to a script. (I would love better Applescript-support, but that's just convenient for Mac-users. Applescript support could be easy, just a few things like getting/setting lyrics and file-info would make it possible to automate some dull repeating tasks).

4. Assignable hotkeys throughout the application. You should be able to create key maps like you can with simple-edit. Change the default ones, create new ones, export them for use on another Finale-machine.

5. Import/export lyrics. Use a XML-based format to import from/to, like the one openSong (www.opensong.org) uses. It's simple but can save you a lot of copy-pasting.

6. Improved Chordsuffix-editor. You should be able to edit the chordsuffix and see the 'main' symbol while you edit it. This makes it easy to see what you get, without having to leave the suffix-editor.

Thanks for sending this to MakeMusic!

Bart

Posted By : Cybersparrow - 10/22/2007 4:38 PM
I second the motion for Spotlight support, and I would also like QuickLook support in Leopard.

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 10/22/2007 4:58 PM
For the next complete overhaul, I vote for the Lyrics tool, starting with the size of the Edit Lyrics window and the size of the print in the window.

There used to be a plug-in that would extract lyrics and remove the hyphens. I would like to see that returned.

There was another plug-in that would look at the number of notes in a measure and assign a time signature to it. That was very handy for liturgical chant. I'm sure there's not a huge demand for the return of this plug-in, but it was a good friend to church musicians scrambling to prepare music for choir practice at the last moment.

Bill

Posted By : Davidmorehead - 10/23/2007 4:28 AM
I would like to see a graphical representation of all items you edit in the document options sections. Also, I would like every entry box to have an increment and decrement button. So, if you are designing a line width, have Finale show how thick the line is. Etc. Instead of having to input a number each time (this can get confusing when using different types of measurements) you can increment and see your changes (as a graphic) on screen. It already does this in some sections. I would like to see it for every item.

And, I would like to be able to edit tempos created with tempo tap. Finale lets you view the information on a graph but it doesn't let you graphically edit it like you can in all other major sequencers. Also, I would like Finale to display the current tempo somewhere n the screen when playing back the file. If you make a mistake with tempo tap on the 4th beat of a measure, you should have to re-record the whole measure just to try and correct the last beat.

This is a long standing request, but it is still not fixed. When using show multiple pages, you should be able to edit any page, not just the first one.

Be able to use the selection tool to space notes, like you can in speedy.

Include in the program (without making people buy more plugins) a way to have automatic rehearsal letters. Allow the use to put a placeholder in the score and then assign letters of numbers. This would help so much when you add and cut measures from a chart.

Have the selection tool tell you how many measures you have selected and which measures you have selected. You can place this info in the info bar at the bottom of the screen. This would come in very handy when selecting more measures that you can see on the screen at once.

Allow the chord window to remain open when using type into score. That way you can see your chord suffixes and corresponding numbers on the screen at all times. No need to memorize them and keep opening and closing the window after inputting each one.

Allow control - to reduce zoom in the text tool. This is the only place where it doesn't work. Change the shortcut that is already in that tool to something else.

When using mass mover and moving something out of the screen's view have Finale scroll automatically. Make this adjustable so it doesn't go too fast fly off the screen. (Like on some other programs)

David Morehead
Finale 2006 on a Sony Laptop

Posted By : Obiwan Kenobi - 10/23/2007 3:04 PM
David, all this is excellent, but have you read the title of this Thread: New.... for Finale 2009 ?
And you are talking about some feature for.... Finale 2012 ! smilewinkgrin

Kind regards
Bruno
Paris-France

G4-1.8Ghz / 1.5Go RAM / OSX 10.4.9
Finale 2000 - 2003a - 2005b - 2008

Posted By : Davidmorehead - 10/23/2007 9:33 PM
Obiwan Kénobi said...
David, all this is excellent, but have you read the title of this Thread: New.... for Finale 2009 ?
And you are talking about some feature for.... Finale 2012 ! smilewinkgrin

Kind regards
Bruno
Paris-France

I can dream, can't I? lol smilewinkgrin ;-) I have been asking for many of these things for at least three years now.

I'll settle for 2008a fixing the control 123 problem. That's one small step for Makemusic, one giant leap for me being able to use 2008 on a PC laptop!

David Morehead
Finale 2006 on a Sony Laptop

Posted By : AngelRho - 10/28/2007 4:30 PM
"I can dream, can't I? I have been asking for many of these things for at least three years now."

Hey, some things are NOT unreasonable.

I agree with you on being able to edit ANY page in multiple pages view. I have mixed feelings about automatic measure numbers. Maybe that could be a feature that could be enabled/disabled.

Also agree with you on Finale automatically scrolling when moving something off-screen.

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 10/28/2007 7:06 PM
I'd like a plug-in that changes the selected measures enharmonically. And a pony.

Finale 2008, 2Ghz iMac, M-Audio Audiophile USB
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Ebony Ivory - 10/28/2007 7:15 PM
Wiggy, you've asked for a pony before. Why not buy yourself one and go riding? I hear it's great fun ... :-)

Brian