The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=266510
Posted By : encephalon - 8/5/2009 3:15 PM
So this came out today.

Anyone brave enough to install/test it since the authorization debacle that was 10.5.7?

Maybe I'll go first since I'm not on a deadline.

encephalon
Lush Music

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 8/5/2009 3:52 PM
Well, the authorisation problem was caused by an error in the network kernel extensions, so I'm hopeful that 10.5.8 will fix it. But then again, you never know.

Finale 2009b, 2Ghz iMac, MacBook, OS X 10.5.7, M-Audio Audiophile USB
M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : encephalon - 8/5/2009 3:55 PM
I can confirm that the authorization issue is still present in OS 10.5.8.

For a moment I thought it had been fixed -- I restarted after one manual authorization and was not prompted to re-authorize. However, after an additional restart I had to reauthorize.

For those of you who may not yet have this fixed (or worked-around), here is what I have to do:

Apparently the authorization problem is caused by Finale generating different two different "user codes" when you restart. Apparently this has something to do with the network card or some other voodoo hardware coding that MM (and other developers) use to identify a specific computer. The authorization code must jive with the matching unique user code in order for Finale to be authorized. Restarting changes the user code so your authorization code no longer works. When you try to authorize online, MM's servers think that you're just trying to authorize on an additional CPU, and if you've already used up your two authorizations, it rejects your serial number.

One option is to de-authorize your local copy of Finale before you restart each time. That's a pain, but it should work.

I have two iMacs: one in my home and one at my studio. MakeMusic CS was kind enough to open up two additional authorizations for me: so I now have 2 "slots" per machine. Each machine seems to alternate between 2 user codes each time I restart, so I have a text file with each iMac's user code and matching authorization code. In order to manually authorize, I have to disconnect from the internet (for me it's just turning off Airport) and run the authorizer. This presents me the option to manually enter the codes, which work just fine.

It's still a pain, but I don't restart all that often.

MM CS said that this issue is on top of the bug fix list for 2010a, so hopefully we'll see a solution in a few weeks.

I hope this was helpful.

encephalon
Lush Music

Posted By : Michael Mortilla - 8/5/2009 7:08 PM
10.5.8 seems fine on my PPC G5. I did not have the authorization "debacle" on my machine.

OS X 10.5.6; Dual 2.0 PPC; 4GB RAM; FInale 2009

Posted By : CV186 - 8/5/2009 7:36 PM
No problem here either - but I'm guessing the 'debacle' is unique to particular hardware/software combinations.

2.16GHz MacBook Pro 17, 2GB RAM, OSX10.5.8 | MOTU Traveler
Finale 2010r4 | GPO4 | Kontakt 2

Posted By : Michael Mortilla - 8/5/2009 9:04 PM
Maybe that actually makes it a debumple?

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 8/6/2009 3:26 AM
Can I ask: do those with authorisation problems run from Standard or Admin accounts?

Finale 2009b, 2Ghz iMac, MacBook, OS X 10.5.7, M-Audio Audiophile USB
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : kaumann - 8/6/2009 4:35 AM
Wiggy said...
Can I ask: do those with authorisation problems run from Standard or Admin accounts?

admin.

I used non-admin accts. for years but got really tired of extra hassle, caused with poorly programmed apps.

hardware: MacBook Pro 15'', 2.4GHz. 6GB RAM, 200GB 7200rpm HD, Motu UltraLite MK3.
software: Finale, TGTools, Wallander Instruments, Motu Symphonic Instrument + Ethno Instrument & Digital Performer, Melodyne cre8, RaySpace, Plogue Bidule, QuicKeys, Kontakt+ more

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 8/6/2009 8:53 AM
I upgraded and haven't seen any problems with 2009, but then again, I didn't have any problems earlier either. I'm using an Admin account.

Bill

Finale 2009b (have 2010 but not using it)
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil

Posted By : acciuga - 8/6/2009 10:39 AM
I wonder if the authorization issue is similar to an issue I had with a different app some time ago.

When I ran my laptop with its wireless card in, it changed something in the Mac's ID and rejected a previously working and accepted authorization. If I were to remove the card when I launched the app there would be no issues. Then, after loading the app, I could re-insert the card.

Could this be a useful work-around for this issue? I, myself, am not having this issue and cannot test it.

-Rick Giovinazzo
MacPro 2X2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon; 6 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM; OSX 10.5.7
ATI Radeon HD 2600; Dell 2405FPW 24" monitor (landscape); Dell 2407WFP 24" monitor (portrait)
Finale 2008b; Finale 2009b; Finale 2010

"I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me."

Posted By : jazzer*austin - 8/6/2009 11:51 AM
This has solved my problem on 34 networked Macs running Finale 2009b (from MM tech support):

MM Tech Support said...
We have made progress in getting this issue resolved.. Please follow the steps below on the lab computers BEFORE reauthorizing them.

1. Quit all instances of Finale (and SmartMusic if you have it) if any are running.
2. Apple Menu >> System Preferences >> Network
3. In the lower-left near the "lock" icon, find and click the little cog/gear - it's a drop-down menu.
4. Choose "Set Service Order..."
5. Click and drag the "Airport" device to the top of this list. As you start dragging it up, you'll see what I mean.
6. Click Apply, then leave System Preferences.
7. Reboot - very important!
8. Launch Finale and authorize as normal. After following the steps above, you will not receive that error message in the future.

Please feel free to respond to this case if you have any further questions about this issue.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRM, OS 10.5.7;
23" Apple Cinema Display
Finale 2009b; GPO, JABB;

Posted By : jwegrzyn - 8/18/2009 9:48 PM
I too have had problems with Finale and Mac OS X10.5.8 and authorization. I am disappointed with MM's attempts to rectify this problem. Apple is concentrating on getting Snow Leopard out and probably can't be bothered now either. For as much as this OS and Finale cost this should not be an issue. I haven't been able to use Finale on my Mac Mini since June... mad I've tried the workaround but to no avail. I will attempt to use the offline authorization method tomorrow....but to have to do that every time I try to use the program? freaked

Posted By : jwegrzyn - 8/18/2009 9:52 PM
Oh, and BTW, I only have Finale registered on 1 computer - my Windows Vista Laptop - MM's servers will not allow me to authorize a 2nd computer even though I've de-authorized my old iMac...sigh...

Posted By : Michael Mortilla - 8/18/2009 10:05 PM
jwegrzyn said...
I too have had problems with Finale and Mac OS X10.5.8 and authorization. I am disappointed with MM's attempts to rectify this problem. Apple is concentrating on getting Snow Leopard out and probably can't be bothered now either. For as much as this OS and Finale cost this should not be an issue. I haven't been able to use Finale on my Mac Mini since June... mad I've tried the workaround but to no avail. I will attempt to use the offline authorization method tomorrow....but to have to do that every time I try to use the program? freaked

I realize this won't help you, but understand that it is a relatively small number of users with this probable. Are you on an Intel machine? I wonder if that is the issue? I'm on a G5 and the authorization debumple lol is not and never has been an issue for me. But if it is an Intel thing, perhaps the Snow Leopard release will help - assuming MakeMusic is on board with that OS as well.

Posted By : jwegrzyn - 8/19/2009 7:38 AM
Yes it is an Intel-based machine...It's more than a bit frustrating...you upgrade machines and OS in order to be more efficient and faster doing what you do writing music, then after you upgrade you can't do it all...

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 8/19/2009 8:10 AM
I don't know whether it has actually been proven that this problem only affects Intel Macs, has it?

Hopefully, the combination of 10.5.8 and 2009c will sort it out. But if it doesn't, then we need detailed information on the Mac in question, what network connections are present, and any other hardware attached.

A bug was introduced into Ethernet networking in 10.5.7 that has not been fixed in 10.5.8. I reported the problem to Apple, and they acknowledged that it is being looked at. Whether this is relevant or coincidental, I don't know. I suspect that 10.5.8 will not be the last update to Leopard, particularly as PPC Macs cannot move up to 10.6.

<soapbox>DRM doesn't work. There is NO authorisation/keycode/security technology for preventing copying that has not been cracked. Not one.</soapbox>

Finale 2009b, 2Ghz iMac, MacBook, OS X 10.5.8, M-Audio Audiophile USB
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk