The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=270991
Posted By : wrf1973 - 9/17/2009 8:33 PM
I need to do kicks over time, indicating a specific rhythm that the rhythm section should play. Someone said the way to do it is to change the staff style for the measure to Rhythmic Notation, and then add the rhythm in the second layer. But the problem is that there's a melody in the first layer that needs to stay there, and when I change it to Rhythmic Notation the specific melody vanishes and all that is left is the rhythm from the melody. How can I keep the melody in the first layer while indicating kicks over time for the rhythm section players?

Posted By : migman - 9/17/2009 8:50 PM
You just need to change the default settings of the staff style. Go to Define Staff Styles and select the Rhythmic Notation style in order to edit it. You will see a Select button next to a checkbox that reads "Alternate Notation" (click it). If you change "Apply to" from layer 1 to layer 2, it will change layer 2 to rhythmic notation while leaving layer 1 as regular notation. You also need to check the "Show Notes in Other Layers" box.

Finale 2008b • MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz • OS10.4.11 • 4GB Ram

Posted By : jazzer*austin - 9/17/2009 8:54 PM
I've done that for years by putting in the kicks in layer 2, or some other layer, uniformly putting them on the bottom staff line, or even below (to stay out of the way of the lead line),
and then using the Special Tools<Noteshape Tool and putting using x noteheads for quarter notes or anything smaller, and open diamonds for half notes and greater.

Both a drummer and bass player can easily and intuitively read the kicks while looking at the lead line and/or chord progressions.

I believe there is a new way, too, by isolating layers for rhythmic notation, check out Staff Tool<Apply Staff Styles.
You can see that some of them work on single layers, so go to Staff Tool<Define Staff Styles and make your own,
or.... do it the old way.

work:MacBook Pro 17" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRM, OS 10.5.8;
home:MacBook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRM, OS 10.5.8;
23" Apple Cinema Display; Dell 24-Inch TFT LCD Display
Finale 2009c; GPO 4, JABB; DP6

Posted By : jazzer*austin - 9/17/2009 10:37 PM
migman said...
You just need to change the default settings of the staff style. Go to Define Staff Styles and select the Rhythmic Notation style in order to edit it. You will see a Select button next to a checkbox that reads "Alternate Notation" (click it). If you change "Apply to" from layer 1 to layer 2, it will change layer 2 to rhythmic notation while leaving layer 1 as regular notation. You also need to check the "Show Notes in Other Layers" box.

This is, of course, the "right" way to do it.

I have found, however, lots of collision between the melody line and rhythmic notation, when the rhythm is notated in the center of the staff.
I prefer to put rhythms at the bottom, stems down, which leaves the entire staff open for the lead/head line.

It just depends on how you want the final product to look.

work:MacBook Pro 17" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRM, OS 10.5.8;
home:MacBook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR SDRM, OS 10.5.8;
23" Apple Cinema Display; Dell 24-Inch TFT LCD Display
Finale 2009c; GPO 4, JABB; DP6

Posted By : migman - 9/18/2009 7:40 AM
If you fake it by placing regular notes on (for example) the bottom line of the staff, you have extra work to change all of the noteheads, and if you have to move them below the staff, you have ledger lines to deal with.

Maybe a better way would be to use the staff style, but instead of mixing layers 1 & 2 in the same staff, place the rhythmic notation in a second staff and hide the staff lines. That would let you slide the kicks up or down quickly, and if you are optimized, you can move one system without moving all of them.

Posted By : wrf1973 - 9/19/2009 10:52 AM
Thanks folks. I've been experimenting with both ways. In the first layer I've got a 1/2-note rest that for some reason gets bumped up to above the top line of the staff whenever I enter a note in the second layer. (Same thing happens if I try to enter two 1/4-note rests.) Is this the "collision" you're talking about jazzeraustin? Any way to avoid this?

Posted By : migman - 9/19/2009 11:19 AM
When two or more layers are in the same staff, the rests have to be placed somewhere. There is a setting in Document Options>Layers that lets you set how far above or below the normal position the rests will be placed for each layer. If you would like them in their default positions, you can either enter zero in the field, or uncheck the checkbox.

And I won't speak for Jazzer, but he may have been talking about layer-one notes that are positioned on the staff on or below the center line clashing with the layer-two rhythmic notation notes that are fixed to the center line. If you use a second staff with everything but the notes hidden, you can move it up or down and it will be out of the way of the regular notes (see my attached example PDF).

Post Edited (migman) : 9/19/2009 11:28:00 AM (GMT-5)