The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=352513
Posted By : srosenberg - 12/2/2011 10:57 PM
Is there any way to get Finale to automatically substitute printer's (curly) quotes (smart quotes in WORD) for regular ones when entering quotation marks in the lyric editor or text boxes?

Posted By : Zuill - 12/3/2011 2:10 AM
With Windows, you use alt-0147 and alt-0148. So, it is not direct, but doable. Does Mac not have a shortcut to those symbols, or a way of programming shortcuts to them?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012 Soon?

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/3/2011 4:02 AM
Zuill said...
With Windows, you use alt-0147 and alt-0148. So, it is not direct, but doable. Does Mac not have a shortcut to those symbols, or a way of programming shortcuts to them?

Yes, we have keyboard shortcuts for all the characters! And without using number codes either.
Double quotes are <alt> [ and <shift><alt> [
Single quotes are <alt> ] and <shift> <alt> ]

(<alt> does left quotes, <shift><alt> does right quotes.)

But yes, it is slightly irksome that Finale does not do Smart Quotes. Another option is copy and paste the text into a text editor, like TextWrangler, which can "Educate" quotes. Then copy and paste the text back.

TextWrangler is a free text editor for Macs, which I think is one of the most essential third-party apps. You can get it either from its own website, or from the Mac App Store.

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.2
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Jari Williamsson - 12/3/2011 4:17 AM
There's a Finalescript example in the documentation that replaces straight to curly quotes. Haven't tested it myself, though.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Posted By : tbmartin - 12/3/2011 8:24 AM
Zuill said...

Zuill

Always having to use straight quotes was annoying, but never annoying enough to try to find a solution. Thanks!

Terence
Saxophone Quartet Arranger
Using Finale 2003a, Windows XP Pro and Vista

Posted By : Philip. - 12/3/2011 8:56 AM
This issue is a descendant of the early days of typewriters! I am so used to the shortcuts Wiggy mentioned, that I forget that I don't need them when using Word.

Anyway, Sibelius has a plug-in for this. I wonder if one could be possible for Finale. In the meantime Finalescript would be the way to go to do this en masse.

Finale 2008b, 2009b, 2010b, 2011c
Sibelius 5.2.5, 6.2, 7.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Mac 10.6.8
2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB RAM
www.nycmusicservices.com/

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/3/2011 9:18 AM
Philip. said...
In the meantime Finalescript would be the way to go to do this en masse.

Jari Williamsson said...
There's a Finalescript example in the documentation that replaces straight to curly quotes. Haven't tested it myself, though.

Jari, can you point out where this is? I can't see it in the Finalescript Help page. There is a script to "Stupefy" smart quotes into dumb quotes in the Finalescript palette, but that's obviously less useful.

Educating quotes is a bit more complex than a simply search and replace, as you have to search for quotes that follow a space and replace them with left quotes, and search for quotes preceding a space (or punctuation) and replace with right quotes, and also take into account apostrophes in things like 'can't'. And other exceptions!

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 12/3/2011 11:19 AM
It would be cool if the pop-up for diacritical mark options (which does not yet work in Finale) included quotes and apostrophes.

I agree with Wiggy that the easiest solution is to move text to TextWrangler, smarten the quotes, and move it back.

Bill

Finale 2012 (all versions since 1.0)
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil with eraser
OS 10.7 Lion

Posted By : N. Grossingink - 12/3/2011 1:05 PM
QuarkXpress has smart quotes as a program option. To get straight quotes with the option on, I believe you just select the quote and type over it.

Isn't it time that Finale had a similar option? This is just another one of those little things that make Finale's out-of-the box output look sub-par.

N.

Finale 2010b, 2011c, testing 2012
TgTools, Patterson Plugins, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM - OSX 10.6.8
New Belgium 'Trippel' Ale

"Anyone who tells a lie has not a pure heart, and cannot make a good soup."

– Ludwig van Beethoven

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 12/3/2011 1:14 PM
Can you do it in Text Find and Replace?

Edit: Never mind. That won't work, because it doesn't differentiate between opening and closing quotes. Sorry...

(I'll leave it here, so someone will benefit from my failure, and not try it!)

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Still happily on Windows XP, SP3

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Post Edited (Mike Rosen) : 12/3/2011 12:49:30 PM (GMT-6)

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/3/2011 1:32 PM
Mike Rosen said...

As I noted above: not easily, because you want to replace half the instances of one character with one thing and the other half with another thing.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : N. Grossingink - 12/3/2011 1:40 PM
Mike Rosen said...

Edit: Never mind. That won't work, because it doesn't differentiate between opening and closing quotes. Sorry...

(I'll leave it here, so someone will benefit from my failure, and not try it!)

If you're talking about lyrics, Text Find is useful for fixing apostrophes - I use it all the time.

N.

– Ludwig van Beethoven

Posted By : frannbug - 12/3/2011 5:53 PM
It really is worth learning to type them. How can you get the machine to do the quote the right way round when you type ’cello? Believe me, just type a few pages of conversation about a book title, including words like ‘’cello’ and ‘’phone’ and it soon becomes second nature. Best learn to do it while you are young, like I did. I’d never be able to learn it now I’m getting on a bit!

MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/3GB RAM/750GB HD/running X10.7.2
Finale 3.7/2006d/2007c/2011c

Posted By : N. Grossingink - 12/3/2011 7:14 PM
frannbug said...
It really is worth learning to type them. How can you get the machine to do the quote the right way round when you type ’cello? Believe me, just type a few pages of conversation about a book title, including words like ‘’cello’ and ‘’phone’ and it soon becomes second nature. Best learn to do it while you are young, like I did. I’d never be able to learn it now I’m getting on a bit!

You make a good point - everybody should be able to find out from whence they came and learn the 4 keystrokes. On the other hand, advanced typesetting programs have had smart quotes for years, if not decades. I think it’s high time Finale caught up so that default output is correct with no fuss.

By the way, smart quotes automatically appear in the proper orientation if they lead a word ('cello) or appear at the end or within a word ("cello's string").

N.

– Ludwig van Beethoven

Posted By : srosenberg - 12/3/2011 11:03 PM
The comments about using Finale script gave me the idea to tinker with the smart to regular quotes script.
Try this out for replacing regular quotes with smart quotes.
open a new Finale script dialog box and paste the following: (This seems to correctly replace a large percentage of the regular quotes in the small samples I've tried.) Then run the script on your lyrics with regular quotes or apostrophes.

//Mac version
search "<34><32>" replace with "<211><32>"
search "<32><34>" replace with "<32><210>"
search "<39>" replace with "<213>"

Posted By : Jari Williamsson - 12/4/2011 11:20 AM
Two years ago, I created a very simple Windows plug-in for curly quotations replacement. I have intended to do a "real" plug-in of this for some time, to provide much more control over the appearance of the curly quotes, but I use lyrics so seldom myself so it's not been realized yet.

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=11&m=277319

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Posted By : Motet - 12/4/2011 1:47 PM
Instead of memorizing cumbersome character codes, the software could, as you're typing, replace the first double quote with an open curly quote and the next one with a close curly quote. Rather than wait years for MM to implement this, can't one copy and paste from a program like Word that already does that?

Finale 2011b, 2005b, TGTools
Finale 2012 demo
Windows XP

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/4/2011 2:37 PM
Motet said...
Instead of memorizing cumbersome character codes, the software could, as you're typing, replace the first double quote with an open curly quote and the next one with a close curly quote. Rather than wait years for MM to implement this, can't one copy and paste from a program like Word that already does that?

Yes, you can. Which was why I mentioned it earlier. :p

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : srosenberg - 12/4/2011 10:17 PM
One can readily enter text in WORD to get smart quotes from the outset and copy that to the lyrics or text box editor, but some, like me, are addicted to typing lyrics into score directly.
If one creates and uses the plug-in suggested above, one need not know any character unicodes, the plug in takes care of that for you.
It's not perfect, as it won't properly convert the quotes if they're not preceded or followed by a space, but usually they are.

Footnote: Why, after all these years (using Finale since 1991) doesn't the program recognize the forward delete key "DEL" ???
I'm quite mystified how elementary stuff like this gets overlooked while the program is revised every year.

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/5/2011 3:33 AM
srosenberg said...
One can readily enter text in WORD to get smart quotes from the outset and copy that to the lyrics or text box editor, but some, like me, are addicted to typing lyrics into score directly.

You can copy and paste the lyrics from the Lyrics Window to TextWrangler or other program, Educate the Quotes, and then copy and paste it back to the Lyrics Window. (Third time of mentioning!)

srosenberg said...
Footnote: Why, after all these years (using Finale since 1991) doesn't the program recognize the forward delete key "DEL" ???
I'm quite mystified how elementary stuff like this gets overlooked while the program is revised every year.

Please describe how the forward delete key doesn't work for you. It works fine for me in Lyrics and Text.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : N. Grossingink - 12/5/2011 7:43 AM
Wiggy said...
srosenberg said...

You can copy and paste the lyrics from the Lyrics Window to TextWrangler or other program, Educate the Quotes, and then copy and paste it back to the Lyrics Window. (Third time of mentioning!)

Just to clarify (for the first time) -

>Type lyrics into score as usual
>Go to Finale's Edit Lyrics window, select all and copy
>Paste into Word to fix quotes
>Copy all from Word, and paste over lyrics in Finale's Edit Lyrics

The lyric assignments won't change as long as no extra spaces or lyrics were added - only the quotes are replaced.

N.

– Ludwig van Beethoven

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 12/5/2011 8:44 AM
N.

I don't have Word so I don't know what it takes to convert the quotes there. In Text Wrangler you just select "Educate Quotes" I don't know if that's fewer steps, or the same as in Word.

Bill

OS 10.7 Lion

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/5/2011 10:21 AM
Word, being a wordy processor, rather than a text editor, often has a tendency to add spaces (or change normal spaces to other forms of white space), and is therefore best avoided for purely textual operations. It also seems a bit of an unwieldy beast to fire up just for a small task like this.

In fact, it should be possible to create an Automator Service that educates quotes in the selected text, which you could apply directly to selected text in Finale from the Services menu.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 12/5/2011 11:15 AM
>> it should be possible to create an Automator Service that educates quotes

I spent some time yesterday trying to do that without any luck, but I really don't know much about Automator so maybe someone else can come up with a solution.

Bill

OS 10.7 Lion

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/5/2011 3:51 PM
Bill Stevens said...
I spent some time yesterday trying to do that without any luck, but I really don't know much about Automator so maybe someone else can come up with a solution.

I may try to come up with something when I have a moment. Put it in my In tray. It's here somewhere.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Bill Spencer - 12/5/2011 9:24 PM
Couldn't you search for | "| (space followed by straight quote) and replace with space followed by left curly, then search for |" | (straight quote followed by space) and replace with right curly followed by space?

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 4GB Ram OS 10.6.6
G4 Dual Mirror Door 1.25 GHz 2GB RAM OS 10.4
Finale 2011
MOTU DP 6
Kurzweil PC3
Mini Moog
Shiny Black Shoes
Tuxedo

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 12/5/2011 10:06 PM
That would work most of the time, but if a quote began a lyric it wouldn't, and if you had a comma inside the end quote or a period outside the end quote it wouldn't work.

Bill

OS 10.7 Lion

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/6/2011 3:00 AM
And don't forget apostrophes in words (often elided vowels in Italian are contracted, for instance).

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Bill Spencer - 12/6/2011 4:28 PM
Not sure why a comma before the end quote would be a problem (and why would the comma be before the closing quote?), and apostrophes aren't the same as quotes. Does Finale (like Word) show you each "found" item, then let you chose whether or not to replace before actually replacing? If not, I guess those issues are significant.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 4GB Ram OS 10.6.6
G4 Dual Mirror Door 1.25 GHz 2GB RAM OS 10.4
Finale 2011
MOTU DP 6
Kurzweil PC3
Mini Moog
Shiny Black Shoes
Tuxedo

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/6/2011 5:01 PM
Bill Spencer said...
apostrophes aren't the same as quotes.

Please describe the difference. Note that this forum, like Finale, can't display curly apostrophes, and uses the straight single quote character. If you want "smart" quotes, this usually also means curly apostrophes.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Peter Thomsen - 12/6/2011 7:15 PM
Wiggy said...
Bill Spencer said...
apostrophes aren't the same as quotes.

Please describe the difference. Note that this forum, like Finale, can't display curly apostrophes, and uses the straight single quote character. If you want "smart" quotes, this usually also means curly apostrophes.

I'm confused.
I thought that the straight characters ' and " (= #39 and #34) meant feet and inches, while the single and double curly quote characters were ‘ ’ (= #212 and #213) and “ ” (= #210 and #211) respectively.

It sounds like I was wrong, since both this forum and Finale can display them.

Would somebody please enlighten me?

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c & 2012, Dolet 6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 12/6/2011 7:22 PM
Wiggy,

Maybe I misunderstand you, but Finale can make curly apostrophes with shift-option-]. I can also make them here so I can do the plurals so common in farmers’ markets around here: apple’s and orange’s. Maybe they don't come through correctly on your end.

Bill

OS 10.7 Lion

Posted By : HBegun - 12/7/2011 1:18 PM
I use a Finalescript to convert straight quotes to American-style typographic ones:

search "'" replace with ""

search "<34>" replace with ""

search "" replace with ""

search "“<13>" replace with "”<13>"

search "“-" replace with "”-"

search "“." replace with "”."

search "“)" replace with "”)"

[Note: <34> and <13> are Windows ASCII codes for the straight double-quote and carriage return respectively. Mac users will need to substitute the appropriate characters.]

The script changes all single quote marks (') to curly apostrophes (’). This is intentional on my part. I rarely need nested quotes but frequently have words that start with an apostrophe (’cause, ’em, etc.)

Next it changes all straight double-quote marks (") to curly open-quote marks (“), then searches for those that are followed by a space, carriage return, and a few punctuation marks and changes them to curly close-quote marks (”). The punctuation marks I included cover my needs but additional lines can be added if needed.

One thing this can't do is find and convert close-quote marks that are the last character in a lyric or other text string so those will have to be fixed manually. Despite this limitation, the script is quite effective and by assigning it a keyboard shortcut it's easily run.

Howard Begun
Finale 2012
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core Duo E8400, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB RAM

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 12/7/2011 1:30 PM
Bill Stevens said...
Maybe I misunderstand you, but Finale can make curly apostrophes with shift-option-]. I can also make them here so I can do the plurals so common in farmers’ markets around here: apple’s and orange’s. Maybe they don't come through correctly on your end.

Yes, sorry: Finale CAN do curly apostrophes, but chooses not to by default. I was making that point that anything which "smartens" quotes will need to consider the special case of apostrophes too.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 12/7/2011 3:04 PM
Howard,

Thanks a million for that Finalescript.

Bill

OS 10.7 Lion

Posted By : David Ward - 12/7/2011 4:59 PM
Doesn’t a ‘curly’ apostrophe require different spacing from a curly quote in many fonts?

Evidently this is not the case with font used by the forum, but a real curved curly quote takes up more horizontal space that is usual for a curly apostrophe. One could get that right in Finale via Tracking from the Text menu, but it might be a little fiddly.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2010b
Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Posted By : David Ward - 12/7/2011 5:13 PM
The screen shot shows what I mean (done in Pages with Times font). The first Don’t has an apostrophe, the second has a quotation mark.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2010b
Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Posted By : rpmseattle - 8/6/2013 5:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your script, Howard!

For anyone interested, I've posted a modified version of Howard's script which addresses this issue:

"One thing this can't do is find and convert close-quote marks that are the last character in a lyric or other text string so those will have to be fixed manually."

You can copy and paste the modified script text from my blog post, if interested:

www.rpmseattle.com/of_note/?p=6192

This modified script still doesn't address situations like nested quotes and the like but should work well for general case quotes in text blocks, expressions, and lyrics.

~ robert

Finale 2012, 2011 | Mac Pro 8 Core Xeon | OSX 10.6.x
www.musicprep.com/makemusic
www.rpmseattle.com/of_note/category/finale/

Post Edited (rpmseattle) : 8/8/2013 5:19:28 PM (GMT-5)

Posted By : HBegun - 8/8/2013 12:33 PM
Hi Robert, thanks for including my script on your website. I hope others will find it useful.

I've done a little tweaking since I posted it here. An unanticipated side effect of the script is that it also changes caesura (railroad track) markings since those are mapped to the straight double quote slot. I had to add a few lines to restore them:
search "“" [Maestro] replace with "<34>"
search "“" [Maestro Wide] replace with "<34>"
search "“" [Jazz] replace with "<34>"
search "“" [Broadway Copyist] replace with "<34>"
These lines go at the end of the script. Additional ones may need to be added for other music fonts.

I also like that you found a solution for the "last character" issue. I'll have to give that a try. I've been using a workaround. When a string ends with a double quote mark, I put in two of them like this:
"text in quotes""
I inserted a new line to the script in the second position (the placement is important):
search "<34><34>" replace with "”"
While not a solution, it's been an easy-to-use workaround.

One other observation: your website uses curly quotes throughout. This may cause some problems if the script is copied from the site and pasted into the script editor since many of those need to be the straight variety. For example, the first line reads:
search “‘” replace with “’”
All but one of those marks need to be straight for the script to work:
search "'" replace with "’"
You'll need to go through the whole script to fix these up but it shouldn't be too hard using a word processor with find and replace.

Finally, there's no need to use <39> for the straight single quote (though there's no harm in it either). The reason I used <34> for the double quote mark is that the symbol can't be used within a string in Finalescript because it defines the start and end of that string.

Howard Begun
Finale 2012
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core Duo E8400, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB RAM

Posted By : rpmseattle - 8/8/2013 2:32 PM
Thanks, Howard for your report and additional info.

Looks like Wordpress automatically creates smart quotes on the fly in a published page. The quotes are all displaying correctly in the Wordpress editor (and in my Finalescript).

I was able to use the CODE tags in Wordpress to encase the Finalescript text, which seems to have corrected the problem with the blog page display. However, after seeing how quotes are getting changed dynamically, I have posted two downloadable text files, so readers can either copy-and-paste into a new Finalescrip, or they can just drop the actual script file into the Finalescript folder (for those that know where to find it).

Thank you for the caesura fix as well. I have added that. In my case, I added it following the first part of your original script in my modified version, so it appears before all of the "last character" stuff. Let me know if everything works successfully for you.

~robert

PS - The <39> for the straight single quote was just copied straight from the default Finalescript that Finale includes for converting curly quotes to straight quotes. I didn't change it; I was just showing what the script included with Finale looks like.

Post Edited (rpmseattle) : 8/8/2013 5:18:59 PM (GMT-5)

Posted By : HBegun - 8/8/2013 4:15 PM
The caesura section can go anywhere after the line: search "<34>" replace with "“"

That section didn't paste properly on your site. The string indicators all need to be straight double quotes (most of them are changed to curly) and all the "replace with" strings need to be "<34>" (the ASCII code is missing). The rest looks good.

Howard Begun
Finale 2012
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core Duo E8400, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB RAM

Posted By : rpmseattle - 8/8/2013 5:16 PM
Thanks for your attention to detail, Howard.

I think I've finally gotten around the Wordpress "auto-smart-quotes" feature by putting the entire Finalescript into a Text Editor and running Find / Replace for every occurrence of the straight quote to change these the straight quote HTML code number. Hopefully, it is working now and everything stays put! Even so, in the blog post, I have removed all suggestions to copy the script text from the page itself and instead, have provided a link to a text file which I know will retain the formatting.

~robert