The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=416890
Posted By : aodhrua - 12/26/2013 6:34 AM
Hi all

I have a melody that gets repeated 8 times. Each time the flute repeats the same melody, while the other instruments play something different.

Everything's fine when showing/printing the score. But if I only print the flute part, I get the same thing repeated 8 times, which I find absolutely unnecessary and distracting in a way. For an instrument part, I would rather write the melody only once with a repeat sign and indication that the same thing is played 8 times.

Is there any way to define such thing in Finale, i.e. create a repeat that appears as such only when showing/printing the flute part, but gets elaborated when displaying/printing the whole score, showing the redundant repetitions of the flute part with the other instruments?

Finale 2008a.r1 on Mac OSX 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

Posted By : Peter Thomsen - 12/26/2013 7:41 AM
Yes, it can de done.

1) Staff styles can be different between score and linked parts.
With a custom staff style you can have the repeat showing in the part, but not in the score.

2) In the flute part you will also want to hide the following 7 passes.
To do so, position the systems (with the 7 passes) outside the right edge of the page.
In that way the systems will not print.

NB:
In the Page Layout Tool, in the Page Layout menu you must de-select "Avoid Margin Collisions".
This step will allow negative values in the system margins.

I hope that this is clear?
If not, ask again.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014, Dolet 6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.8.4, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Posted By : Zuill - 12/26/2013 8:03 PM
Generally, all players should be looking at the same measure layout, as communication with each other and the conductor might otherwise be near impossible. Just a heads up. If the score/parts is set up correctly, the flute part can be made to have the same measures written out 8 times, but aid the reader as to the structure that assists in not losing one's place. In fact, if I had to repeat a section 8 times, I might be less likely to forget a repeat if the measures were written out 8 times.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"