The original version of this page can be found at :
Posted By : RHall - 4/22/2002 6:02 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some good percussion fonts (freeware would be nice)? I need to notate a Steven's roll( or Stephen's, sorry but I am not a percussionist) and I cannot find the symbol anywhere.


Posted By : Vdrummer - 4/24/2002 10:12 PM
I am a drummer and can't answer your
question but instead have one for you.
What is a Steven's (Stephen's) roll?

Posted By : RHall - 4/25/2002 8:52 AM
A Stevens roll is performed on mallet instruments. Instead of hitting the keys together quickly (like a tremolo), the keys are independently hit creating a ripple effect ( a type of rippling tremolo). I believe phrase was coined by the renown marimbist Leigh Howard Stevens. Sometimes it is referred to as a ripple roll.

I am a grad student and many of the percussionist here say that they just create the symbol using the articulation tool (the symbol is like an S at a 45 degree angle notated on the note stem). I thought there would be some type of percussion font out there that would have many of those symbols, but I still have not found it anywhere.

Posted By : Darwonka - 4/27/2002 3:30 PM
As far as I am aware, you do not notate it any differently then an ordinary roll. You do however type in a performance direction. This is how I've always seen it "notated".