The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=42753
Posted By : jeffreycomas - 5/3/2002 2:28 PM
Anybody know any slick ways to do scale diagrams (grids) for guitar?

I made a 1-octave "C Maj scale" in the chord editor, but it would not let me name it "C Maj scale."

Jeff

Posted By : GT - 5/4/2002 4:52 AM
Jeff:

This probably won't help you, but when I engraved for the National Guitar Workshop, I didn't even try to get Finale to do scale diagrams. I created them in Adobe Illustrator instead.

I'd say that any sort of graphics program would allow you to make these diagrams fairly easily. In Finale, on the other hand, it would be extremely difficult to do this.

Cheers.

Gary

Posted By : GT - 5/4/2002 4:56 AM
...Of course, you could just tell the Chord Editor not to display the root and/or suffix of the chord, and then use the Text Tool to put the name of the scale in there...

Posted By : jeffreycomas - 5/4/2002 7:20 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

I don't have Illustrator, but I have used Apple Works, or Pagemaker to make some diagrams & illustrations. I also use the Text Tool, often, to label items, on pages. The drawback comes if you later decide you need to move things around.

I write a lot of instructional material in Finale. It sure would be great if there was an easy (quick) way to make scale diagrams on fingerboard grids.

What say ye, Coda?