The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=464613
Posted By : daerp - 11/18/2015 10:34 PM
I am looking for a good source for MAC OS X Finale 2014.5 (etc.) keyboard automation and shortcuts. I am finding now that I am older (not wiser) my hands shake too much to do fine tuning work with a Magic Trackpad or a mouse and would like to use the keyboard more efficiently. Also, is QuicKeys a good partner for Finale? What are some of the other options for automating tasks in Finale?

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB of memory, OS X 10.11.1, Finale 2014.5, Digital Performer 8, Yamaha S90, M-Audio Prokeys SONO 61

Post Edited (daerp) : 11/18/2015 9:06:10 PM (GMT-6)

Posted By : Bill Stevens - 11/18/2015 10:42 PM
QuicKeys has been my constant companion for many years and I can't imagine computing without it; however, I keep expecting the company to disappear and some upgrade of the OS or Finale to make QuicKeys go kaput. So my recommendation would be to look at one of the other macro programs that has regular upgrades and support.

Bill

Finale 2014d (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.3 on another

Posted By : Mike Rosen - 11/18/2015 10:53 PM
You can do a lot with the Mac keyboard shortcuts. Beyond that, I use iKey.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Posted By : Dr. Wiggy - 11/19/2015 3:36 AM
As Mike says, Finale already comes with a load of keyboard shortcuts, which are essential for any lengthy work. You can add shortcuts to the menu items using OS X's System Preferences.
A lot of "fine work" can be done by zooming in and "nudging" with arrows, rather than moving with a mouse.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014d, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Posted By : bdrmusic - 11/25/2015 1:49 AM
Re: shaking hands when doing fine tuning work - in addition to a macro program (I use Keyboard Maestro and love it), might I also suggest a different input device other than the Magic Trackpad. I have been using a device called Rollermouse Red made by Contour Design. It is an outstanding device to use with Finale. I won't go into detail here. You can check it out at their website: http://www.contour-design.com and they offer a free trial period.

For years, I struggled with tension after using various mice and trackballs working long hours with Finale doing the detail work we engravers must do. This device has literally been a godsend. I used the precursor to it for several years and when the "Red" came out I bought two. It is expensive but in my opinion well worth it.