Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Adding instruments to the instrument list: Eb tuba  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
31 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Keith B
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Keith BAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 34

Posted 1/5/2015 5:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello - and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Some years back I got help from someone on the forum about adding instruments to the instrument list. He even went so far as to send me an instrument list that I fed into my version of Finale to give me the transposing Eb tuba and - I think - several other instruments I needed at the time.

I thus learned how to add instruments but the years have passed - going on 75 now... several changes of computer, several upgrades of Finale and at least one pretty horrific hard disk crash. All that knowledge is lost and a search of the forum database didn't cough it up either.

I know that a lot of tuba players (Bb and Eb) read in concert pitch but not many in concert bands in France...

It's easy to fix an transposing Eb tuba just by pulling in an Eb horn (for instance) - changing the name and pushing it into the bass clef. However, it was nice, and satisfying, to be able to build the missing instrument into the list and just pull it in every time I needed it. (Especially for one of the concert bands I do arrangements for: they have an Eb tuba as you'd probably guessed.) It's also useful to have the upper and lower limits of the instrument automatically indicated too.

At the time I also needed Catalan orchestra instruments so building new instruments into the list was even more important.

If anyone out there knows how to do it I'd be glad to hear from them. I'd like to relearn the technique and this time save it to a more reliable support... I'll also be trying to remember how to do it if my old addled brain will give me some clues...
Thanks in advance
Keith

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 1/5/2015 8:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There has been some discussion here on the forum regarding this.

As I remember, the introduction of the Score Manager in Finale 2012 required this file to be rewritten in a format that is not editable by most or all users. The consensus was pretty much that we're out of luck.

Maybe someone has more up to date info. In the meantime, you might consider making one or more templates that include those specialized transpositions and staff names. That way you don't have to continue "reinventing the wheel".

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d Demo - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 1/5/2015 9:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hello again Keith,

Yes that was me back in mid 2012.  I sent you a modified Finale.instruments database file with the changes we discussed for your purposes.  I will need to know the current version of Finale you are using, hopefully F2014d, and then I can resend you the file via your email, which I still have.

Charles

PS:  To anyone contemplating such a move, while it is doable, it is not recommended, particularly if you ever send your Finale documents to any other place for perusal, or want students, for example, to be able to use the added instrument in their work, since the modified database will not be on any other computer, unless you put it there.  If this is for your own purposes, that is fine.  Also, if Finale is ever updated, the modified database will not be forwarded into the update.  It is for these reasons that I do not post such work on this public forum, but only via email.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
2 2TB and 2 4TB internal SATA HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/5/2015 9:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What would we do without MakeMusic "improvements" that, while they might make it easier for a first time user to set up a score, make it exceeding difficult for an experienced user to make what used to be matter-of-course modifications to suit their needs? First they broke percussion mapping, then they broke instrument assignments, then they broke the tool palettes (which they've only partially fixed). I dread to think what they will decide to "improve" next.

Finale 2014c with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 1/5/2015 10:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Subsequent to my working with Keith back in mid 2012 on this subject, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the work of Jolora in a similar project to add instruments to the database.

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
2 2TB and 2 4TB internal SATA HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)

GPO4

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Keith B
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Keith BAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 34

Posted 1/5/2015 10:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Charles! How nice to see you again! A very happy new year to you - and to you all.
In fact you probably remember you taught me how to modify the list for my 2010 version where it was still "readable" and you also sent me the file to change my 2012 version - which I did. I had to reinstall after a major crash so that's when I lost all your good work. Luckily I didn't lose any of the thousands of finale files...
Please do send me the file again: keith@kb-muse.com
Although I don't exchange many finale files with other people and those I do send files to are mostly on version 2010, by sending them as exported MusicXML files they pulled in the Eb tuba by some magic.
If you have the time I'd like to know how you made this file this time around so as I can get into it and translate all the instruments - or add the French names for all the instruments. Obviously it's no trouble for me to have them all in English but I do have to translate them when arranging for a French orchestra.
All the very best
Keith

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 1/5/2015 2:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In my signature is a link to a chart showing how to set up the transposition for instruments not in Finale's arsenal, but the Eb tuba shown there is for a treble clef part a la British brass bands, written up an octave plus a major sixth, sounding down an octave plus a major sixth.

How is it written in the bass clef? Written down a minor third (sounding up a minor third), or written up a major sixth (sounding down a major sixth)? Let me know and I'll add it to my chart.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 10/17/2015 12:41:51 AM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Transposition.pdf   134KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 1409 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/5/2015 3:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
From Googling, it looks like transposing the tuba in bass clef is not standard, so I guess I withdraw the request for info for changing my chart. You can, of course, pick either Eb sax or Eb horn, depending on which direction you want the transposition to go.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 1/5/2015 7:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...

How is it written in the bass clef? Written down a minor third (sounding up a minor third), or written up a major sixth (sounding down a major sixth)? Let me know and I'll add it to my chart.

It's written up a major 6th. I'm not sure what's considered a standard transposition, but the publisher I engrave for has me make a set of "world parts" for each concert band piece. Among others, it includes Tuba in Bb & Eb Bass Clef and Tuba in Eb & Bb Treble Clef.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/5/2015 9:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. Is the Bb bass clef written up a 2nd?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 1/6/2015 9:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Thanks. Is the Bb bass clef written up a 2nd?

No, it's up a ninth.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 8.02.28 AM.png
  39KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 445 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/6/2015 1:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. I've added those to my chart. Click the file attachment at the bottom, not the link in my signature.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 1/6/2015 2:25:39 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Transposition.pdf   131KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 1585 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 2/7/2015 4:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I discovered a reference to a piece for Horn in F#, so I've added that to my chart (I've never seen it personally in my years of horn playing).

Windows 7, MIDI input

File Attachment :
Transposition.pdf   132KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 1223 time(s).

kvehmane
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kvehmaneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 117

Posted 2/8/2015 6:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Two famous examples are Haydn "Farewell" symphony and the end of Bizet Carmen.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 2/8/2015 1:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, Carmen, you're right!

I've got Horn in C alto, B natural alto, B flat alto, A, A flat, G, G flat, F sharp, F, E, E flat, D, D flat, C, B natural, B flat basso, A basso, A flat basso, and G basso. Any others you've seen that I've missed?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 2/8/2015 1:02:43 PM (GMT-6)

kvehmane
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kvehmaneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2008

Posted 2/9/2015 4:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I haven't seen ever the high B natural or G basso transpositions. B basso is in Brahms 2nd symphony and A flat basso in Verdi's Otello (but I have read somewhere that there were no actual A flat basso crook, they just faked it...)

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 2/9/2015 2:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Motet,

I am not here to revive the discussion of whose transposition chart best serves the Finale community.  Suffice it to say that my chart showed all possible transpositions (within reason - 5 octaves?), whether or not they were represented by an actual musical instrument, either in modern use or obsolete.

I will add one comment on your chart.  It seems to me that since your "Sounding" and "Written" columns are redundant except for whether it is Up or Down, that you could save some real estate by consolidating the information into one column called, for instance, "Sounding/Written" and put something like "Up/Dn octave + m 2nd" for the Db transposition.   You could explain the abbreviations used for major (M), minor (m), perfect (P), augmented (a), and diminished (d) in a note at the bottom.  Just my 2 cents.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 2/9/2015 2:09:46 PM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 2/13/2015 12:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
kvehmane, I forget now where G basso came from--some Verdi opera I played, perhaps, or maybe someone's web page. I confess I may have invented H alto myself for symmetry, but I'm pretty sure G basso is something I've seen, though if an Ab basso crook didn't exist, then likely a G basso crook didn't either! Ab basso is in Falstaff--not sure about Otello.

Charles, thanks for the feedback. My chart has the advantage of fitting on one page, and listing the real instruments serves those who may not know which octave Horn in C refers to. I believe I have shown all instruments likely to be encountered these days, but am always open to adding another. It's true that "sounding" and "written" convey redundant information, but this is also a point of confusion and I wanted to make it as clear as possible. Since everything fits, I see no reason to combine the two or to further abbreviate "major" and brethren.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 2/12/2015 11:18:18 PM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 2/13/2015 12:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Found this via a web search, by David Sprung of the San Francisco Opera (who was by the way my teacher):

"For those without experience playing opera professionally, Horn in A
and A-flat is always basso in 19th century Italian opera. There is even one
instance where horn in G is basso: Edgardo's aria in "Lucia" the third horn
in G is to be played basso. That baffled me because, although the voicing
of the four horns clearly indicates that the 3rd horn is in G basso, it is
the only instance that I know of where that is so, but the conductor Nello
Santi explained to me that the whole aria was written a half step higher
originally, and later transposed down and published that way, so horn in
A-flat (basso, as usual) became horn in G basso."

I in fact just played Lucia, but in a 2-horn reduction, so did not encounter this 3rd part.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 2/12/2015 11:37:53 PM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 5/30/2015 8:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've changed my chart slightly to make more explicit that most of these transpositions involve the treble clef, so I'm posting it here so I can link to it in my signature (I think for this posting, it will link to the old one).

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 5/30/2015 8:41:56 PM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Transposition.pdf   134KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 967 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 5/31/2015 4:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If a woodwind specialist could check my assertion of the listed instruments being notated in treble clef, I'd appreciate it. For example, heckelphone: treble or bass?

Windows 7, MIDI input

kvehmane
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2008

Posted 6/1/2015 3:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Heckelphone and baritone oboe in parts: treble clef always.

Flint
silly bear

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FlintAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 3151

Posted 6/1/2015 10:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks good.

woodwind specialist and doubler - Finale 2014d using Speedy Entry - no capslock, GPO 4 Full, Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3, Garritan Concert and Marching Band 2, Windows 8 64-bit, 12GB RAM

If the composer says in effect to the performer: "I do not care whether you perform my music or not," we cannot argue the matter. But if he indicates: "I want you to perform and respond to this music," then his fundamental duty is to write his music so that it is accessible to interpretation. When the performer cannot approach the composer's meaning because of capriciously obscure notation, he may in effect say to the composer: "Why should I bother to puzzle out your music?" - Gardner Read

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 6/1/2015 1:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 6/6/2016 1:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I updated my transposition chart to include better instructions on enharmonic instrument transposition and so have uploaded it in this thread, where the older versions live. I've linked to the new one in my signature.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 6/6/2016 1:48:57 AM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Transposition.pdf   140KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 2118 time(s).